• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Poll worker said there were 800 absentee ballots cast at my precinct, which is a LOT.

There's a sign at my highway exit that reads "Protect our elections from RUSSIANS!!! Vote YES on the voter ID amendment!"

This one? RTQ posted it on her FB yesterday

45441955_10101068056557963_6434658722273820672_n.jpg

Obviously the Black Panthers didn't get the memo about Stacey Abrams' position on gun control. Did they not renew their online subscription to the Washington Post???

Perhaps one of our esteemed posters on the Tunnels Left will share their WaPo user name and password so the Panthers can read up on the issues before heading to the polls tomorrow.

And what's the difference between the Black Panther Party and the New Black Panther Party?

What you tolerate, you encourage. Please stop encouraging racism.

Angus is scared of five black guys with guns but not of millions of NRA members who act the same. My bad, most of the NRA members are white and not as scary.

From the election day thread:
I think Cruz wins by 5-7%. The Texas electorate is turning purple and on the way to blue with current demographic trends, but I think Cruz holds with the establishment who will get out and vote.

I hope I'm wrong. Regardless, Beto stands to gain a lot with a powerful and progressive concession speech.

I think a major problem we are witnessing with this projection of a "demographic change" in Texas, is that southwestern Latinos aren't nearly as liberal or politically active as the Democratic party has assumed they would be. The latinos most likely to vote are older, wealthier, and more conservative. A lot of this is due to red states disenfranchising and scaring young latinos away from the polls.

I think a major problem we are witnessing with this projection of a "demographic change" in Texas, is that southwestern Latinos aren't nearly as liberal or politically active as the Democratic party has assumed they would be. The latinos most likely to vote are older, wealthier, and more conservative. A lot of this is due to red states disenfranchising and scaring young latinos away from the polls.

Sure. But the purpling of TX was considered to be 20 years away. A Beto win would accelerate it.

There was a good article yesterday about how everyone assumes because of the Hispanic population and republican treatment of that population that Texas can just mimic what happened in California. The problem is that Democrats believe it is a natural progression that will happen and aren’t putting in the necessary work to make it happen, furthermore after seeing what happened in California entrenched republican state representatives are doing everything they can to prevent it with all the voting laws. Anyways it’s one of those, it may happen but to make it happen you need to put in the work, and even more work than was previously needed. Beto’s campaign seems to be embracing the work so it’s a good push.

Sure. But the purpling of TX was considered to be 20 years away. A Beto win would accelerate it.
I don't think Beto makes Texas purple, any more than Doug Jones made Alabama a purple state. Its one specific election. What happens when Texas doesn't run a toilet clog blob fish for Senate, but an actual human being with human blood.

It’s why the Bush campaign rightly realized that they could do well with Latinos. That was a good long term strategy for the GOP. They just seem to be too fucking racist to commit to it.

So let me get this straight. You don’t think a Beto win would accelerate the long term process of TX becoming a purple state.

Why?

I don't necessarily think it would accelerate the process but it would definitely fire up the blue base for future elections knowing that they can pull off wins in a state wide election.

So let me get this straight. You don’t think a Beto win would accelerate the long term process of TX becoming a purple state.

Why?
I dont think a Beto election is a tidechange, because as I said, Beto is running in a very specific election against Ted Cruz & Donald Trump. What I think will change Texas nationally is DACA and progressive latino friendly legislation.

You have got to be kidding me. OWGs? You couldn’t walk into a WFU frat house in the 70s on a Friday or Saturday without getting a pretty good contact high. And you were likely to be passed a joint at any concert arena back then.

I was an occasional user of pot in college. I am in total favor of legalizing pot today. Strickland33, what is hypocritical about that?

I really ruffled your feathers, didn’t I?

Boomers really are the original millennials.

Back