• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Bannon Plans to Back Challengers to Most GOP Senators Running in 2018

Bannon plans to support as many as 15 Republican Senate candidates in 2018, including several challengers to incumbents, the people said. He’ll support only candidates who agree to two conditions: They will vote against McConnell as majority leader, and they will vote to end senators’ ability to block legislation by filibustering.

This is scary! (Not the ousting McConnell part.) Turnout in 2018 is going to be super important.

Virginia Is for Haters

————
...Whatever happens in Virginia, the consequences will be huge. If Gillespie pulls this off, all the worst impulses of the Trumpist G.O.P. will be empowered; you might think that things can’t get even worse, but yes, they can.

If, on the other hand, Northam wins and Democrats make big inroads in the state legislature, it won’t just probably mean that hundreds of thousands of Virginians will get health insurance, and it won’t just be an omen for the 2018 midterms. It will also encourage at least some sane Republicans to break with a man they privately fear and despise (see Corker, Bob).

For whatever reason, however, Virginia isn’t getting nearly as much play in national media or, as far as I can tell, among progressive activists, as it deserves.

Folks, right now this is where the action is: Virginia is now the most important place on the U.S. political landscape — and what happens there could decide the fate of the nation.
————

Virginia doesn't need more attention. Nothing motivates Republicans like liberal tears.

Virginia Is for Haters

————
...Whatever happens in Virginia, the consequences will be huge. If Gillespie pulls this off, all the worst impulses of the Trumpist G.O.P. will be empowered; you might think that things can’t get even worse, but yes, they can.

If, on the other hand, Northam wins and Democrats make big inroads in the state legislature, it won’t just probably mean that hundreds of thousands of Virginians will get health insurance, and it won’t just be an omen for the 2018 midterms. It will also encourage at least some sane Republicans to break with a man they privately fear and despise (see Corker, Bob).

For whatever reason, however, Virginia isn’t getting nearly as much play in national media or, as far as I can tell, among progressive activists, as it deserves.

Folks, right now this is where the action is: Virginia is now the most important place on the U.S. political landscape — and what happens there could decide the fate of the nation.
————

I don't know about the whole attention thing, but I'm not getting how Trumpian and negative our statewide Pubs are getting. Trump easily lost VA in the primary, and his surrogate lost the Pub primary for Gov (though it was closer than it should have been due to a light turnout). Northam has pretty consistently been up by 5-13% in the polls, and as long as the turnout is pretty strong, I expect him to win. As for VA being an omen for 2018, I'm not so sure about that either, although I'm sure the media will make it out to be an omen after the dust settles.

Rubes won't care.

That's disgusting...that the Washington Post is allowed to write such egregious articles about the pure, honest, free thinking Roy Moore.

What's going to be really sad is when Moore's narrative shifts from "drain the swamp" to "Jones doesn't have enough experience." That, or they'll just start making things up when they can't find anything honest to knock Jones for.

Last edited:
'17 Specials & '18 Midterms: Despite assault charge, Gianforte wins MT-AL

This is a culture war. Aggrieved white people are going to vote for any crooked idiot who will fight for them.

I'm surprised they couldn't dig up that dirt during the Republican primaries. McConnell put a lot of money into the Strange campaign, and that's the kind of thing that SHOULD be a deal breaker. Of course, this is also a state where Trump dominated, so who knows.

Good for him.

Democrats Are Playing Checkers While Trump Is Playing Chess

Quote:
----------
...In terms of Congressional and state legislative contests, Belcher argues, “we can and should do better among non-college white voters” because they are crucial to the outcome in many districts. But doing so, he argues, will be a tremendous challenge:

When Trump stands up in front of his audience at rallies during the campaign and tells them he’s going to give them their country back, Trump is having a conversation about race. Our response is that we are going to raise the minimum wage — we are having a conversation about economics. We are playing checkers while Trump is playing chess. And he continues to do so as he focuses on things like Black N.F.L. players taking a knee. Until Democrats can inoculate against some of the heightened angst, most prominently found among blue collar whites, about the changing face of America, they will struggle to compete for white non-college voters.

Significantly, Belcher contends, the anxiety about rapid social change is politically salient. Offering economic palliatives will not adequately address that anxiety, he said:

Heightened tribal polarization is the primary hurdle to Democrats’ ability to better compete and win white non-college voters. Avoiding that conversation isn’t going to work. We can’t solve for that angst with a promise to simply help make college more affordable. Until we can better engage these voters in a conversation that lessens their very real angst about the changes that are happening in the country and pivot to a compelling narrative about how we all win the future together or divided we will certainly lose it to our competitors, Democrats will struggle mightily to compete for white non-college voters broadly and particularly in The South...
----------

It ain't about the South as Obama proved you can win a Presidential election and give away the whole South minus VA.

Get PA and MI back and you win the next election.

Back