• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Trump has been to Harrisburg 4 maybe 5 times since last May; i think obummer came twice in 8 years.

What did Harrisburg do to deserve that?

Race baiting is chess and economics is checkers? And here I thought this was 2017.

Democrats are playing checkers while Republicans won't play because the pieces aren't white.

There's nothing Democrats can do to bring over voters who have convinced themselves that their racial and cultural fears are economic. Any effort to meet them where they are is futile or risks alienating the base who are pushing these cultural changes white working class people are afraid of.

What did Harrisburg do to deserve that?

well first there was the gay mayor that defrauded the city. then an apparently incompetent AA female mayor. and now the mayor looks like this:

eric-papenfusejpg-8033eb2d42c4ee4e.jpg

#MHGA

It's a great strategy since the people they elect don't do shit for them or improve their lives, then instead of blaming the people that are in charge of everything these people con them some more by race baiting with see how shitty your life is, it's not us it's those others.

Democrats Are Playing Checkers While Trump Is Playing Chess

Quote:
----------
...In terms of Congressional and state legislative contests, Belcher argues, “we can and should do better among non-college white voters” because they are crucial to the outcome in many districts. But doing so, he argues, will be a tremendous challenge:

When Trump stands up in front of his audience at rallies during the campaign and tells them he’s going to give them their country back, Trump is having a conversation about race. Our response is that we are going to raise the minimum wage — we are having a conversation about economics. We are playing checkers while Trump is playing chess. And he continues to do so as he focuses on things like Black N.F.L. players taking a knee. Until Democrats can inoculate against some of the heightened angst, most prominently found among blue collar whites, about the changing face of America, they will struggle to compete for white non-college voters.

Significantly, Belcher contends, the anxiety about rapid social change is politically salient. Offering economic palliatives will not adequately address that anxiety, he said:

Heightened tribal polarization is the primary hurdle to Democrats’ ability to better compete and win white non-college voters. Avoiding that conversation isn’t going to work. We can’t solve for that angst with a promise to simply help make college more affordable. Until we can better engage these voters in a conversation that lessens their very real angst about the changes that are happening in the country and pivot to a compelling narrative about how we all win the future together or divided we will certainly lose it to our competitors, Democrats will struggle mightily to compete for white non-college voters broadly and particularly in The South...
----------

I look forward to the Democratic strategy of converting racist voters.
79767882e9a832ab5d12b29e8cb3cf49.jpg

I mean, how many banks do the Democrats have to bail out, how many conglomerate mergers do they have to allow, before stupid racist conservatives will vote for them?

lol at cville and his NOVA yuppie voters. You can write a million articles, you're still not going to elect any Jon Ossoffs. So keep stepping on those rakes

1ea2347610ea0f1a296d984eeba40013.gif

I feel like you live in some fantasy world, your ideal scenario doesn't exist. Let's get super liberal that will surely bring the moderatesand conservatives on board.

I feel like you live in some fantasy world, your ideal scenario doesn't exist. Let's get super liberal that will surely bring the moderatesand conservatives on board.
I live in a fantasy world? Me? Ill remind you this is a board of mostly wealthy suburbanite white graduates of an overpriced elite university. It's very possible that wealthy white suburban liberals aren't in tune with American politics. Exactly how many elections do centrist Democrats just plan to write off as unwinnable due to racism?

I live in a fantasy world? Me? Ill remind you this is a board of mostly wealthy suburbanite white graduates of an overpriced elite university. It's very possible that wealthy white suburban liberals aren't in tune with American politics. Exactly how many elections do centrist Democrats just plan to write off as unwinnable due to racism?

it's possible, it's also possible you're overestimating your Les Miserable fantasy

This is fantastic. jh and mdmh have the same idea of the central problem for the democratic party- that democrats care too much about racism. Jh ascribes the problem to democrats being to liberal, mdmh ascribes it to democrats being to moderate.

I mean, I generally would trust a product of the Chatham County Public Schools before a product of the Forsyth County Public Schools, so maybe mdmh is right. But the juxtaposition is just great.

what part of the article did you find inaccurate
Inaccurate? It's a clickbait rhetorical premise that the author spends the entire article tearing down. We already elected a black president who ran on universal healthcare and he was the most popular president in modern history. Democrats and pundits are conveniently ignoring that much of Trump's campaign popularity stemmed from his populist messaging, just as Obama ran on "Hope and "Change", not "America is already great".

it's true, the focus democrats appear to put on topics that are uninteresting or unappealing to middle class white people definitely creates a simple defection to republicans. but promising an expanded welfare state and heavy taxes doesn't appeal to middle class people, either

The problem is that conservatives rally around a solid bullshit cause like no other. You can't shake them from it and that R is all that matters, doesn't matter if you offer them a bag of cash jesus is with the R and that's who they are with. I mean look at healthcare and who it helped and then who voted against it. Democrats on the other hand aren't as beholden to a singular thing so when presented with bad options they aren't just going along with it. You want free college for everyone, I'm out and won't vote democrat and lots of others will
Be out too. Name any other super liberal idea and you lose more and more.

Back