• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Progress happens because of people like Bernie, because of BLM, Colin Kaepernick, Fight for 15, the Moral Monday protesters, because of people in wheelchairs getting arrested in Senators offices. There is a saying in the south that I find very relevant - "a closed mouth don't get fed".

Last edited:
No, progress happens because boring people like harry Truman get into office and the congress happens to be amenable and the political clime is friendly.

Last edited:
What about "speak softly and carry a big stick." Given how boisterous Trump is, it would seem as though he has a very tiny stick. A micro stick, even.

Progress happens because of people like Bernie, because of BLM, Colin Kaepernick, Fight for 15, the Moral Monday protesters, because of people in wheelchairs getting arrested in Senators offices. There is a saying in the south that I find very relevant - "a closed mouth don't get fed".

Okay, I'll bite. What laws have been passed or what concrete developments have been brought about by Bernie, BLM, Kaep, Fight for 15 or Moral Monday? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for raising awareness and people who care about issues getting active and asserting their 1st Amendment rights. But please enumerate the accomplishments of the above 5 people/entities.

Okay, I'll bite. What laws have been passed or what concrete developments have been brought about by Bernie, BLM, Kaep, Fight for 15 or Moral Monday? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for raising awareness and people who care about issues getting active and asserting their 1st Amendment rights. But please enumerate the accomplishments of the above 5 people/entities.

First, all those developments are pretty recent. Social change doesn't happen that quickly. But here are some concrete examples. Due to BLM, use of police body cams is more prevalent. The Fight for 15 has led to cities adopting higher minimum wages. Even Target is planning to increase minimum wages. Moral Monday helped get Roy Cooper elected. Hard to ask for too much in a few years. For example, it was 8 1/2 years between Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. And there were people opposing bus segregation before Rosa Parks. I'm sure people were asking "What laws have been passed or what concrete developments have been brought on by King, the bus boycotts, SNCC, freedom riders, etc?" during the late 50s and early 60s. We are in the midst of a new civil rights movement.

First, all those developments are pretty recent. Social change doesn't happen that quickly. But here are some concrete examples. Due to BLM, use of police body cams is more prevalent. The Fight for 15 has led to cities adopting higher minimum wages. Even Target is planning to increase minimum wages. Moral Monday helped get Roy Cooper elected. Hard to ask for too much in a few years. For example, it was 8 1/2 years between Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. And there were people opposing bus segregation before Rosa Parks. I'm sure people were asking "What laws have been passed or what concrete developments have been brought on by King, the bus boycotts, SNCC, freedom riders, etc?" during the late 50s and early 60s. We are in the midst of a new civil rights movement.

Body cams have been on the rise over the last decade generally, right? I don't know stats, but it's been a growing discussion topic. Still don't have them in Cville or Albemarle. But yes, I'd say any raising awareness is going to help further greater discussion of the topic. And paying a living wage has long been an issue - here in Cville since the late 90s. I guess I'm saying I haven't seen tangible progress, especially when it comes to race relations. I'd argue we've taken a large step backwards from where we were a few years ago. We've elected a president who is enabling white supremacists who have crawled out of the holes they've been in for the last couple of decades. Hell, the NFL game I went to a couple of weeks ago had a lot of white folks booing when some of the players took a knee in prayer before standing for the anthem. And locally, we've been inundated with white supremacist rallies. To me it feels like we're living in Apocalypse Now Redux where each day things are a little more fucked up than the day before.

Sure. But a lot of that is backlash to those movements. So people are getting pissed. That's part of the process that has to be overcome to make real progress.

By the way, praying players were booed at Pats-Bucs last week too. Don't let anybody tell you it's about the anthem or flag.

Sure. But a lot of that is backlash to those movements. So people are getting pissed. That's part of the process that has to be overcome to make real progress.

By the way, praying players were booed at Pats-Bucs last week too. Don't let anybody tell you it's about the anthem or flag.

It wasn't most of the folks in the crowd by any means, and I could only identify a couple around me in my section who were booing, but it was quite audible. And I get that it's not about the anthem, flag or troops. Another thing I get that most of the booers probably don't get is that this fight with the NFL for Trump is personal because the NFL, in his eyes, fucked him over 30 years ago. And I hear you on the backlash comment, but I'm not as sure as you appear to be that it's backlash that will be overcome. Right now, all I see is regress. And not just in race relations. When I asked folks which of 7 possibilities was the most likely the other day, you answered that Trump would not only finish his term, he'd win reelection. If you're right, do you know how much damage he can do to our health care system over an 8 year period?

A lot. Of course, it's the most likely option (~33% or so), but the other options combined are more likely.

A lot. Of course, it's the most likely option (~33% or so), but the other options combined are more likely.

I thought of #8. He fires Kelly, Mattis, McMaster and Tillerson in 1 fell swoop and doesn't replace them. Constitutional crisis?

Why wouldn't he replace them?

Why wouldn't he replace them?

Because he has left a large number of other positions open intentionally. Also, if he fires them, there will be fewer and fewer people willing to take those positions that would still be able to understand the process of getting security clearance to their own office.

It wasn't most of the folks in the crowd by any means, and I could only identify a couple around me in my section who were booing, but it was quite audible. And I get that it's not about the anthem, flag or troops. Another thing I get that most of the booers probably don't get is that this fight with the NFL for Trump is personal because the NFL, in his eyes, fucked him over 30 years ago. And I hear you on the backlash comment, but I'm not as sure as you appear to be that it's backlash that will be overcome. Right now, all I see is regress. And not just in race relations. When I asked folks which of 7 possibilities was the most likely the other day, you answered that Trump would not only finish his term, he'd win reelection. If you're right, do you know how much damage he can do to our health care system over an 8 year period?

Can he do as much damage as Obama did in 8 years? Then we'd be really fucked

Honestly, I'm more concerned with the damage he will do to everything else over that time. Frankly, I think he will do such tremendous damage that the only chance that he gets to Year 8 is if he is able to completely subvert the constitution and do away with elections, which I think is on his agenda for Year 3.

Can he do as much damage as Obama did in 8 years? Then we'd be really fucked

Did Obama damage race relations or did the backlash to Obama damage race relations?

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher's race moved to 'toss-up' amid Russia investigation entanglements

"Cook political analyst David Wasserman called the seat one of Democrats' best pick-up opportunities in California, saying Rohrabacher may have had a long career, but "his recent sympathetic comments towards Russia and strange interactions with Julian Assange and internet conspiracy theorist Chuck Johnson could amount to self-sabotage in a district President Trump narrowly lost."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...hift-two-california-1507908967-htmlstory.html

Back