• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I'm kinda jealous of the people who get Danica Roem as their representative.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...oms-bill-anti-trans-lgbt-rights-a8043466.html

Ms Roem, his successor, is not just the first transgender person to run for the Virginia House of Delegates but also appears to be the first member of a metal band to do so.

The former journalist, who worked as a lead reporter and won awards from the Virginia Press Association seven times, has long been a critical part of the Virginia heavy metal scene. She has spent over a decade singing for a thrash metal band called Cab Ride Home whose biggest hit is a party tune about getting inebriated and occupies a sphere worlds apart from party politics.

"Just because I sing in a heavy metal band while spinning my head in circles and getting paid to do it, why can't I run for government? Why would I have to change who I am in order to run for government? I've already had to go through transformative change," she told Noisey in an interview in June.

The politician, who has a special penchant for Swedish death metal, said the music scene reacted amazingly to her gender transition.

Her victory speech, where she said it doesn't matter who you love, how you identify, or how you rock:

Interesting night. In lil' ol' Greensboro, the two most conservative city council members were tossed out and replaced with very liberal opponents. One of them, Tony Wilkins, was just kind of a grumpy Fox News conservative who voted "no" on everything - his district is the most conservative in Greensboro but he lost convincingly to a Democrat who has never been in politics before. The other (Mike Barber) was a well liked moderate Republican type who was a dealmaker to get things done on council. He got beat by the very liberal director of the local homeless shelter who is a social justice warrior type. I guess we're just a small part of the "blue wave".
Mike barber is a dem. Surprised Wilkins lost.

Mike barber is a dem. Surprised Wilkins lost.

I stand corrected w/r/t his party. Do you agree that he was the second-most conservative member of the council? I mean, his whole platform was "no tax rate increases for 4 years".

The big story of the night wasn't Northam winning, as the polls had him as a 3-4 point favorite heading in. It was taking 15-19 seats in the House where the Pubs have had control by a 2-1 majority for a while. That is unbelievable and unprecedented. The energy and GOTV was clearly on the Dem side here in VA, like it was for Trump in the midwest and PA last year. (Also kinda says just how bad a candidate Hillary was.) Pubs were losing in places like Loudoun, Prince William, Chesterfield, VA Beach & Chesapeake. What these jurisdictions have in common is they are somewhat conservative, very white and usually Pub leaning suburbs, but they're not crazy right wing like the Shenandoah Valley and most of the rural counties are. (Corey Stewart is from Prince William, fwiw.) These are mostly well educated folks who are mostly doing fine economically (VA is 1 of the richer states in the country). I went into last night believing like 538 did that VA wasn't necessarily a referendum on Trump or an omen for next year's midterms. I'm rethinking that this a.m. and believe it was both.

As for Northam, I was a bit worried that left wing Dems weren't going to show up en masse for Northam after he was disavowed and called a racist by Howard Dean's organization (that Howard denounced), and he wasn't endorsed by Bernie (Perriello did endorse him). Didn't happen, and in fact Northam outperformed both Fairfax and Herring by 3-4 points. Also probably means there was a bit of Pub crossover for him that wasn't there for Fairfax and Herring, which makes sense given that he is viewed as a bit more conservative than them.

The other big takeaway from the evening is that the most important issue to voters is health insurance. I thought last years large increases in premiums were 1 of the under reported reasons why Hillary didn't perform well in states like AZ where she allegedly had a shot. Pubs have been selling that the ACA is awful for the last 7 years (and I do recognize that the ACA is way far from perfect), and that they had the solution. This year made it quite evident that they had no solution, and voters in a state, er commonwealth, like VA are angry about it. And we've just been finding out how yuge our premium increases are. Might not make as big a difference in AL or MS, but it does here. I see this as the biggest issue heading into the midterms. And if Pubs are going to read this takeaway correctly, they need to get on board with Patty Murray and Lamar Alexander and try to do a comprehensive fix of the ACA. That would be something they could tout and save themselves next year, but I don't think that's the takeaway they'll have.

I stand corrected w/r/t his party. Do you agree that he was the second-most conservative member of the council? I mean, his whole platform was "no tax rate increases for 4 years".
Yes. No doubt. The fact that Wilkins lost is a stunner. Pubs are really becoming all rural if they can't win in nw gso.

Greensboro is going to regret not having Mike Barber on the council, especially since they replaced him with Kennedy. Justin Outling needs to get off the council ASAP and move on to bigger and better things.

The big story of the night wasn't Northam winning, as the polls had him as a 3-4 point favorite heading in. It was taking 15-19 seats in the House where the Pubs have had control by a 2-1 majority for a while. That is unbelievable and unprecedented. The energy and GOTV was clearly on the Dem side here in VA, like it was for Trump in the midwest and PA last year. (Also kinda says just how bad a candidate Hillary was.) Pubs were losing in places like Loudoun, Prince William, Chesterfield, VA Beach & Chesapeake. What these jurisdictions have in common is they are somewhat conservative, very white and usually Pub leaning suburbs, but they're not crazy right wing like the Shenandoah Valley and most of the rural counties are. (Corey Stewart is from Prince William, fwiw.) These are mostly well educated folks who are mostly doing fine economically (VA is 1 of the richer states in the country). I went into last night believing like 538 did that VA wasn't necessarily a referendum on Trump or an omen for next year's midterms. I'm rethinking that this a.m. and believe it was both.

As for Northam, I was a bit worried that left wing Dems weren't going to show up en masse for Northam after he was disavowed and called a racist by Howard Dean's organization (that Howard denounced), and he wasn't endorsed by Bernie (Perriello did endorse him). Didn't happen, and in fact Northam outperformed both Fairfax and Herring by 3-4 points. Also probably means there was a bit of Pub crossover for him that wasn't there for Fairfax and Herring, which makes sense given that he is viewed as a bit more conservative than them.

The other big takeaway from the evening is that the most important issue to voters is health insurance. I thought last years large increases in premiums were 1 of the under reported reasons why Hillary didn't perform well in states like AZ where she allegedly had a shot. Pubs have been selling that the ACA is awful for the last 7 years (and I do recognize that the ACA is way far from perfect), and that they had the solution. This year made it quite evident that they had no solution, and voters in a state, er commonwealth, like VA are angry about it. And we've just been finding out how yuge our premium increases are. Might not make as big a difference in AL or MS, but it does here. I see this as the biggest issue heading into the midterms. And if Pubs are going to read this takeaway correctly, they need to get on board with Patty Murray and Lamar Alexander and try to do a comprehensive fix of the ACA. That would be something they could tout and save themselves next year, but I don't think that's the takeaway they'll have.

It seems like they didn't based on that tweet someone posted last night about the "opposite of coattails." Northam was boosted by down ballot races. Candidates like Danica encouraged people who show up to the polls and vote for Northam.

Speaking of, how weird is it going to be for Danica to show up for work with a bunch of dudes who want to share a bathroom with her?

In watching/reading the wrap-up coverage from all of this I think there are a few things to take away from it all.

A lot of different people (depending on who they work for) were trying to shift blame from Trump, Congress, or both, but I think last night is a combination of everything, not just one factor that contributed primarily to the outpouring of Dems getting elected.

It's part repudiation of Trump, part outrage at Congress for their continued failures, showing that health care and guns are on a lot of voters minds (which does not bode well for Republicans right now as they are on the wrong side of both), and also an outstanding GOTV effort by Run For Something, Pod Save America, Indivisible, and a ton of other grassroots organizations that have spent the past year preparing candidates and exciting the base.

The key now is to get right back to work and keep pushing this type of excitement for 2018 when a lot of change can really happen. As a Dem I know that last night is just the tip of the iceberg and hard work has to continue out there. My main concern was that "The Resistance" was just a social media excitement that would not actually provide the campaign work that has to be done (canvassing, knocking on doors, fundraising) to win elections, but it seems like overall it has been very well done so far, and at the basic level of government (local), people are just tired of what's going on right now in general.

It's a great start, but there is a long way to go to get America back from folks like Trump and a lot of the Congressmen in office now. I'm extremely excited and ready to work hard, and I think there are a lot of younger folks out there who feel the same way and are enthusiastic about millennial candidates and progressive ideas that can solidify the Democratic party moving forward. We have put up a lot of bad candidates in the past and it's time for the next wave of Democrats to step up and run for office and that is happening at a very impressive rate.

Speaking of, how weird is it going to be for Danica to show up for work with a bunch of dudes who want to share a bathroom with her?

Larry_Craig_mugshot-300px.jpg

word on the street is Northam printed up 10k copies of the electoral map for distribution/framing/masturbation

Greensboro is going to regret not having Mike Barber on the council, especially since they replaced him with Kennedy. Justin Outling needs to get off the council ASAP and move on to bigger and better things.

I agree, I think Mike did a good job and voted for him. I cannot understand why people keep electing Abuzaiter. I don't think I've ever heard her say anything smart on any topic.

It seems like they didn't based on that tweet someone posted last night about the "opposite of coattails." Northam was boosted by down ballot races. Candidates like Danica encouraged people who show up to the polls and vote for Northam.

But how do you explain Northam outperforming Fairfax and Herring? I believe it's a combination of your opposite of coattails theory on the left hand side, plus some crossover of establishment Pubs who are pissed at Trump.

No idea whether Larry Craig's stance is wide enough to include transgenders or whether he only has extramarital sex with gay men. Someone should ask him.

I'm still interested in seeing just how much of what happened here translates elsewhere. I agree with much of what 27 said. But in looking at the counties where Dems made the big gains (both in house races and for statewide races), it's coming from white, well off, well educated and historically somewhat conservative suburbia. I think they're saying I don't care about BLM or confederate statues, but damn it, I don't want white supremacists marching in our cities, and you told us you had health care and other answers, and now it's painfully obvious you don't - and stop fucking tweeting. If I'm a Pub from the major population centers in NC, I'm definitely taking notice. But I'm not as sure how much last night is going to affect the down and out midwest, but will be interesting to watch.

Polls performed worse last night than they did in the 2016 election. This time in the "other" way (under predicting Democrats' performance). 538 pointed out that if you simply looked at the foundation indicators (sitting president's popularity, generic House ballot polling, off-year/mid-term election) that these were far better predictors (essentially spot on, 9 in VA and 13 in NJ for Dems) than the polling.

I agree, I think Mike did a good job and voted for him. I cannot understand why people keep electing Abuzaiter. I don't think I've ever heard her say anything smart on any topic.

She's the worst. She mainly shows up to things where there will be cameras and does nothing.

Narrator: It wasn't that close.

In Highland's defense, the aggregate of the polls had it at just over 3% - eerily close to Hillary's number last year. Last year and last night are the 2 biggest examples I can think of in my lifetime as to how much of a difference energy and GOTV can make. Last year, Hillary excited no one, but the Pub base and disaffected midwesterners loved them some Trump. Last night, the affluent and well educated part of a purple state told Trump to go fuck himself.

Back