• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

This argument would hold a lot more water for you (and not seem 100% tone-deaf as to what the Pubs are doing) if the Republicans weren't currently going balls to the wall to defend a man accused by four different women of pedophilia, but you do you man.

JH’s point, I think, is that some liberals, over the last two decades, have leveled accusations of racism and sexism etc at all manner of Republican candidate, regardless of whether it was remotely true. For example, Romney was labeled as a racist because the church he belongs to used to be exclusively white. Or he was labeled as sexist because of the dopey phrasing of binders full of women comment. JH is on one level right that liberals did it so much, that when an actual sexist and racist candidate came along in Donald Trump, many people blew it off as more liberal character assassination. But, if you think about it, it kind of sounds like that like if thinking blames Democrats for the rise of deplorables in the Pub party. If liberals hadn’t been so free with racism accusations, Donald Trump and Roy Moore would never have risen to their positions in the conservative movement. Thanks, Obama.

Or (hear me out now) Republicans got so comfortable with casual racism that they allowed white supremacy to rise to prominence. #personalresponsibilty

Brings to mind this excerpt from an interview with conservative radio host, Charlie Sykes, after he makes a similar point to what birdman is saying a conservative poster made.

I get what you’re saying, but at the same time it wasn’t like Trump was hiding his racism.

No.

It wasn’t like only liberals were saying it and it had to be discovered and this was hindering the discovery process.

Oh, absolutely not. See this was my life for a year and a half, where I’m on the air, as a conservative talk-show host, saying this man is actually every stereotype that the left has had of racist and xenophobic, misogynist conservatives. You’re not really going to embrace him, are you? Yet the response I got was people saying, “Well, yes, but that’s what they always say.”

As I say in the book, a political party that had taken these racial issues more seriously never would have embraced Donald Trump, but obviously they had cultivated indifference to this, this racial language and racist tropes, and you saw the consequences.

There's also this.

Your book was called A Nation of Moochers, and I found this quote about you calling Michelle Obama a “mooch” on air. That came across like a wink at your audience. What do you make of it now?

Yeah, that was … I am certainly not proud of that at all. And it only happened once, and frankly I thought that it was … who knows, you know, it was a brain-fart type thing. I think I had heard someone use that on another show and I thought that it was a common parlance and I was immediately informed, “Why would you do that? It is fundamentally disrespectful.” So I never did it again. That is something I am not offering any rationalization for. Yeah, sorry about that. This is of course a problem doing 5,000 shows over 20 years, 3½ hours a day. You will say stupid things, and that was one of them.

Because we were talking about the ways in which we play into things.

Is there a gap between what people heard and how they were reacting to that? In retrospect, I don’t know. Was that something that was fostering some sort a stereotype that I might not have been conscious of at the time? I was just being flip. Those are the type of things where you go back and say, “What did I say that might have been heard in that particular way?”

So you didn’t intend it to be a racial stereotype about a lazy black woman, but you think that’s how people might have heard it?

It’s the kind of thing that was certainly not constructive, yeah.

When you look at the title of your book, do you think that was a brain fart? How much of the stuff that you did, do you in hindsight see a signal?

Look, I definitely did not intend that to be a racial connotation, but I can understand how people might misinterpret it. That book, for example, at least half of it is about corporate welfare and Goldman Sachs, and that sort of thing. In retrospect, I can understand how if people were looking for that type of a signal, they might have interpreted it that way. That is part of the rethinking I am doing here.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...a_conservative_radio_star_then_trump_won.html

Latest poll from Alabama shows the race in a tie. The poll was fielded on Thursday (day Moore story broke) so it likely doesn't account for its full impact. I also have never heard of this polling house so no idea how credible it is.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...ate_special_election_moore_vs_jones-6271.html

Rumors that a poll out tomorrow has Jones up. Could be noise that snaps back in a few weeks but if the Dems can steal this seat hoooooo boy.

I didn't take the first poll serious. Not sure about the second. A third would be hard to ignore. I think polls showing Jones up would motivate both sides, but it's not clear what it would motivate Republicans to do.

Here's a question I haven't seen asked. If Moore dating teenagers was an open secret in Alabama circles, why didn't establishment Pubs dig up the dirt when trying to get Strange the nomination?

I didn't take the first poll serious. Not sure about the second. A third would be hard to ignore. I think polls showing Jones up would motivate both sides, but it's not clear what it would motivate Republicans to do.

Here's a question I haven't seen asked. If Moore dating teenagers was an open secret in Alabama circles, why didn't establishment Pubs dig up the dirt when trying to get Strange the nomination?

Maybe worried about a civil war? It does seem weird since Moore has been a piece of shit for a looooong time.

Could Alabama actually postpone this election to allow an untainted candidate like Strange back into the race? Seems like the timing of this news *should* essentially hand a safe Pub seat to dems.

Alabama voters chose Moore. He had plenty of taint on him before this.

Could Alabama actually postpone this election to allow an untainted candidate like Strange back into the race? Seems like the timing of this news *should* essentially hand a safe Pub seat to dems.

There is plenty of talk about it. It feels like a dangerous precedent though.

Should the US have postponed the 2016 election because Comey raised the issue of Clinton's emails a week before the election?

You can't start moving elections around based on bad publicity.

Alabama voters chose Moore. He had plenty of taint on him before this.

Oh I think they deserve what's happening. I'm asking if its actually possible for the state of Alabama to put a stop to what appears to be a huge swing in giving this seat to a Dem. It would cause an epic shit storm for sure.

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms: Northam wins...VA State GOP bracing for a bloodbath

Stafford County VA is refusing to count military and absentee ballots in a close delegate race in which the Republican is up by 84 votes.

http://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article...election-military-ballots-tossed/65-490942366

Activists are fighting to get scores of military and absentee ballots counted in a razor tight race that could determine control of the state House of Delegates.

Republicans and Democrats are fighting over whether the ballots arrived in time. The frustrating thing is that we may never know for sure.

Scores of activists protested outside the Government Center. They suspect 55 military and absentee ballots got to the Electoral Board's post office box before the polls closed last Tuesday and should be counted because no one went to pick them up.

Last edited:
meh, absentee and military ballots always skew republican, almost certainly would not make a difference in the outcome. it's not a good look though.

speaking of dumb boycotts...

i found it very interesting that republicans disrespected the troops by boycotting a day (NFL games) that the troops are being praised, because they believe NFL players kneeling is disrespecting the troops.

that is some damn idiot logic

speaking of dumb boycotts...

i found it very interesting that republicans disrespected the troops by boycotting a day (NFL games) that the troops are being praised, because they believe NFL players kneeling is disrespecting the troops.

that is some damn idiot logic

Also, someone called the league offices and team offices on Friday, and they were all working.

Democrat pulls off special election victory for Senate seat in west Tulsa County

A year ago, Democrats threw $200,000 and a first-tier candidate at Senate District 37, trying to unseat incumbent Republican Dan Newberry.

They lost the conservative west Tulsa County district by 15 percentage points.

This year, with Newberry leaving the Senate, Democrats entered a lightly funded, little-known 26-year-old lesbian.

She won by 31 votes.

Allison Ikley-Freeman’s victory Tuesday over Republican Brian O’Hara continued a string of Democratic special election upsets over the past two years. It gives Democrats three special election victories in predominantly Republican districts in the Tulsa area in the past two years, including two this year.

Back