• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Do it. Double down Steve.

I do pay attention to things Bannon says. But he's clearly wrong here, and it's a blatant cop out. VA is a purple state with the General Assembly just about evenly split in both houses. Dems have been doing better in the governor and US senate races. Actually, I liked 71's Dave Albo quote that VA is now dark blue and red splotches, though that isn't quite true. Places like Montgomery, Roanoke, Loudon, Prince William, Chesterfield, Suffolk, Chesapeake and VA Beach really are purple. They used to be reddish purple and turned bluish purple a couple of days ago. Again, I think it's affluent white suburbia saying no to Trumpism and that they're not happy with what's going on with health care - we're apparently 1 of the states with the largest rate hikes. I also think to an extent the current tax bill pending in congress doesn't help either. The senate version at least is taking away deductions for state and local taxes, and both bills are going to increase taxes a little on folks making $50-100K while giving breaks to corporations and high income folks. Even in mostly conservative white suburbia, it's a tough sell to tell folks who pay attention to the news that you're raising their taxes and the deficit, and because you can't get your shite together on ACA repeal and replacement, their insurance is also going way up. Especially in NoVa where folks pay a lot in real estate taxes. Our current house make up is 7 Pub and 4 Dem. The 10th district, Loudoun & Frederick, could become competitive next year.

The Existing Democratic Majority—Brooks

————
...We could be seeing the creation of a new Democratic heartland, exurbia, and this alignment could hang around for a while. The stain Trump leaves on the G.O.P. will take some time to wash away. But this is bigger than Trump; it’s an alignment caused by the fundamental reality of the populist movement.

But does this mean Democratic dominance is baked in the cake? Here I would say, not so fast. It’s worth remembering that the Democrats don’t quite deserve this victory. It didn’t come about because of some masterly Democratic strategy. The Democrats won because the Republicans decided to shrink their coalition.

And it’s worth looking around the world and noting that center-left parties are in decline across Europe and beyond. These parties have lost touch with working class voters and are finding they can’t simply replace them with a mixture of identity politics and faculty lounge populism. What we’re seeing around the world is not the rise of left-wing dominance but the decline of major parties and the fragmentation of political parties across the board.

The crucial question going forward is what will the Democrats do? Will they make places like Loudon County their heartland, or will they amputate themselves the way the Republicans did, and retreat back to the cities?

Here’s how you can tell which way the Democrats are going. If they talk mostly about oligarchy and rich financiers, they are retreating to their base. But if they talk about mobility — geographic mobility, economic and social mobility, intellectual and spiritual mobility, they are talking the language of the suburbs. And if they have practical plans to enhance universal mobility, the age of Democratic dominance will be at hand.
————

Romney moves toward Senate bid

Mitt Romney is edging closer to a 2018 Senate run.

The former GOP presidential nominee is huddling with Utah’s class of GOP power brokers, contacting the state’s major political donors, and hitting the trail for candidates running in local races amid mounting speculation that the state’s longtime senator, Orrin Hatch, will retire. Romney is also raising money for House and Senate Republicans, winning him favor with GOP leaders ahead of a treacherous midterm election.

You guys remember when Romney was the worst? Haha would be nice to have the ole chum back in the game.

You guys remember when Romney was the worst? Haha would be nice to have the ole chum back in the game.

Romney was never the worst. He was actually a pretty decent, pragmatic and moderate governor. The problem I had with him was that he morphed into a yuge phoney when he had to kiss up to the Christian Right to run for president and change most of his political positions. John Edwards did the same thing when he ran. He was the most conservative Dem in the Senate this side of Kent Conrad and ran for president as Bernie Sanders.

Wrong. Whoever the Dems are running against is the worst at that moment.

This argument would hold a lot more water for you (and not seem 100% tone-deaf as to what the Pubs are doing) if the Republicans weren't currently going balls to the wall to defend a man accused by four different women of pedophilia, but you do you man.

Alabamans and jhmd would vote for a pedophile over a Dem. Nice morals..........

Romney was never the worst. He was actually a pretty decent, pragmatic and moderate governor. The problem I had with him was that he morphed into a yuge phoney when he had to kiss up to the Christian Right to run for president and change most of his political positions. John Edwards did the same thing when he ran. He was the most conservative Dem in the Senate this side of Kent Conrad and ran for president as Bernie Sanders.

I was a constituent of Gov. Romney and was quite satisfied with this service. The same is true for Weld. It was pretty jarring to see what Romney morphed into during his party's primary. Though jarring, it wasn't unexpected, we saw the same with John McCain in the prior election.

This argument would hold a lot more water for you (and not seem 100% tone-deaf as to what the Pubs are doing) if the Republicans weren't currently going balls to the wall to defend a man accused by four different women of pedophilia, but you do you man.

You guys realize that when you quote JH you make his posts visible to the rest of us.

There have been some Pub senators and conservative commentators like Frum who have spoken out. But yeah, most Pubs appear to be balls to the wall (which I hadn't realized was an aviation term until recently). The best part of all is that he's using the story as a fundraising effort. At some level, you've got to be impressed with the cojones.

I was a constituent of Gov. Romney and was quite satisfied with this service. The same is true for Weld. It was pretty jarring to see what Romney morphed into during his party's primary. Though jarring, it wasn't unexpected, we saw the same with John McCain in the prior election.

True that. As for Weld, he was easily the most impressive candidate last year. Unfortunately, Gary Aleppo Johnson was at the top of the ticket, and neither were viable.

Romney was a good man. Would have been a solid president. That was a good election. I had no problem with a Romney win save the republican majority on the Hill filled with lunatic assholes.

Romney would have been a more effective general in the Republican party’s war on the poor.

Romney is a good person but he's way out of touch with the struggles of everyday Americans and more than willing to cater to the worst elements of the GOP. He lacks a soul or spine.

The poll asks people if they've heard of the allegations and 82% said yes.

Back