• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I am impressed with the campaign he is running so far. He has had canvassing and phone banking training events all over the state: Montgomery, Huntsville, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, and others. He is showing up to all the events and getting his volunteers really ramped up. Not that he is a great speaker, but just meeting the candidate and interacting with him is gettingnpeople excited.

I am impressed with the campaign he is running so far. He has had canvassing and phone banking training events all over the state: Montgomery, Huntsville, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, and others. He is showing up to all the events and getting his volunteers really ramped up. Not that he is a great speaker, but just meeting the candidate and interacting with him is gettingnpeople excited.

Nice. You gotta hop on the phone and make some calls. Every little bit helps.

Have you seen any recent polling on the race? Last poll I saw was from mid October.

A poll commissioned by Raycom News Network released Wednesday found that Republican Roy Moore is continuing to hold a significant lead over Democrat Doug Jones in Alabama's Senate race.
Conducted by Mobile-based Strategy Research, the poll said that Moore had 51 percent of support to 40 percent for Jones. And 9 percent of poll participants declared themselves undecided.
It's the exact same results from a poll last month commissioned by Raycom and conducted by Strategy Research.
"I think there is an easy explanation," Jonathan Gray of Strategy Research told Raycom. "People are not paying attention (to the race) right now."
The poll sampled 2,200 likely Senate race voters on Monday with a margin of error of 2 percent.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2017/11/roy_moore_maintains_double-dig.html

The Dems could have a chance if they throw Perez out and re-hire Howard Dean to run the party.

All those headlines are accurate and newsworthy :noidea:

What happened with Flynn today? Like actually happened? Other than they had nothing to talk about so lets talk about Mike Flynn and make it appear as the main headline. I've read these articles. They say nothing. And it's their top story.

Talk about bitcoins record high or something already, its been a year and a half of this #fakenews.

Last edited:
Good luck getting media outlets to not cover the President or Trump and definitely President Trump.

Donald tweeted the results of the 2016 election earlier this week. That hasn’t happened in a year

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/potential-chaos-ahead-as-control-of-virginia-house-of-delegates-hangs-in-balance/2017/11/08/bef75346-c448-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html?utm_term=.ce61da7f2c31

"Whether Virginia’s deep-red House of Delegates turns blue, or an awkward purple, comes down to a few dozen votes and potential handshake deals.

Republicans, who held 66 of 100 seats in the lower house of the state legislature, saw their majority melt away Tuesday in a Democratic wave that felled at least 12 GOP incumbents and flipped three open seats to the Democrats — an unprecedented shift.

With four races still too close to call, both parties are bracing for the messiest of all outcomes: a dead-even 50-50 split that requires power-sharing and a potentially ugly fight for the speakership.

That would be triggered if Democrats pick up one of the four races that are close enough for a state-funded recount. Republicans have leads difficult to overcome in three of them, including Del. Timothy D. Hugo (R-Fairfax), who narrowly pulled ahead of his challenger after unofficial results were tallied. Del. David Yancey (R-Newport News) is just 12 votes ahead of Democratic challenger Shelly Simonds, with provisional ballots still being counted through Monday...

Albo, the retiring Republican lawmaker who will be replaced by a Democrat, lamented the vanishing breed of districts with voters willing to split their ballots.

“This state is not purple,” he said. “It’s like dark red and dark blue spots.”

What happened with Flynn today? Like actually happened? Other than they had nothing to talk about so lets talk about Mike Flynn and make it appear as the main headline. I've read these articles. They say nothing. And it's their top story.

Talk about bitcoins record high or something already, its been a year and a half of this #fakenews.

yeah but this president has shot his mouth off like no person in government, at least in my lifetime. He spouts lies and threats and hottakes all day long. He is the news, bro. His corruption is the big story. Stop whining about it, this is what his supporters wanted - a rock star celebrity President-ish guy. News about his crooked cronies is relevant as fuck all day 'erry day, yo. If they take him off the front page, he will say/do some other stupid shit to get back up there.

Seriously. The president is all "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME", then "Wait, WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME!?!?!"

KpaUdYr.jpg

yeah but this president has shot his mouth off like no person in government, at least in my lifetime. He spouts lies and threats and hottakes all day long. He is the news, bro. His corruption is the big story. Stop whining about it, this is what his supporters wanted - a rock star celebrity President-ish guy. News about his crooked cronies is relevant as fuck all day 'erry day, yo. If they take him off the front page, he will say/do some other stupid shit to get back up there.

This. Trump is the POTUS, so almost anything he says or does is newsworthy. It's been that way for generations now, at least since television entered people's living rooms in the 1950s. I remember watching a documentary back in the 1980s, and an African leader said that if the US President sneezed, the whole world wondered if he had a cold. Also, Trump constantly demands attention, it's what he does. He dominated the news cycle in the presidential campaign last year (I remember reading a study somewhere about the amount of news stories on Trump vs. those about his GOP primary opponents, and then Hillary, and it was very lopsided in his favor in both cases). I actually think Trump loves the attention, even the bad publicity, as it means people are talking about him and not his enemies or critics. The only people who appear really bothered by the 24/7 Trump coverage are his supporters, at least some of whom seem to be getting weary of defending his incessant tweets, words, and actions to friends, relatives, coworkers, etc.

Oh man, I've got some news for that twitter dude:

Meet the Transgender Americans Who Won on Election Day

Trans candidates won in Virginia, Minnesota, New Hampshire, California, Georgia, and Pennsylvania

And we don't know if they are the first trans elected officials because there could have been others who aren't out.

I have a limited basis of comparison for this but I don't think trans issues will be a big deal for children. My boys went through a stage where they regularly changed the genders of their stuffed animals.

An old friend has a 5 year old daughter who asked my sons to use "he." They did. It was no big deal.

I think kids who live in the actual real world with other people will see a woman who used to live as a dude and they won't care as long as they're cool.

All Republicans are doing is identifying another group of people who will realize the GOP doesn't care about them.

A black trans woman, Althea Garrison, was elected to MA state legislature in 1992.

Back