• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Definitely not changing the the subject to Russia

http://www.newsweek.com/why-dccc-ba...first-time-black-woman-candidate-840691?amp=1
WHY ARE DEMOCRATS BACKING A FORMER NRA-SUPPORTER OVER A FIRST-TIME BLACK WOMAN CANDIDATE?

"...But New Jersey Democrats, she says, have fallen in step with the national party line, siding with Van Drew. The decision has caused local activists to worry that Democrats are ruining their chances of picking up seats they have a real shot at winning in November by engaging in what they see as a misguided campaign to capture disaffected white working-class voters who cast ballots for President Donald Trump.

...But Youngblood says her campaign took its worst hit when the DCCC—which, up until just a few years ago, stayed out of primary contests—officially endorsed Van Drew as part of its “Red to Blue” program last month. Since then, Youngblood says she’s fallen behind in fundraising. Her opponent’s official status can make her seem like a less viable candidate."

Definitely not changing the the subject to Russia

http://www.newsweek.com/why-dccc-ba...first-time-black-woman-candidate-840691?amp=1
WHY ARE DEMOCRATS BACKING A FORMER NRA-SUPPORTER OVER A FIRST-TIME BLACK WOMAN CANDIDATE?

"...But New Jersey Democrats, she says, have fallen in step with the national party line, siding with Van Drew. The decision has caused local activists to worry that Democrats are ruining their chances of picking up seats they have a real shot at winning in November by engaging in what they see as a misguided campaign to capture disaffected white working-class voters who cast ballots for President Donald Trump.

...But Youngblood says her campaign took its worst hit when the DCCC—which, up until just a few years ago, stayed out of primary contests—officially endorsed Van Drew as part of its “Red to Blue” program last month. Since then, Youngblood says she’s fallen behind in fundraising. Her opponent’s official status can make her seem like a less viable candidate."

On the surface, Ms. Youngblood looks like a good candidate. OTOH, that district is 75% white and voted for Trump in 2016. The retiring republican kicked ass in every election from 1994 on.

"Atlantic County Democratic Party Chair Mike Suleiman, one of eight county chairs supporting Van Drew, said the party was not applying a litmus test, and that Van Drew has the clearest path to election.

“Either we want to win that seat or we don’t,” said Suleiman. “The reason why strong candidates are not getting into the race on the Republican side is because Jeff is in it. We have a real plan to win this thing and we have to go with the strongest candidate possible.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/jeff-van-drew-nra-tanzie-youngblood-gun-control-democrats-new-jersey-2nd-congressional-district-debate-video-midterm-elections-2018-20180222.html

Again, it's not a matter of the party choosing the most progressive candidate, it's a matter of them staying neutral, helping get the vote out for the entire field, and letting the voters decide.

Last edited:
Again, it's not a matter of the party choosing the most progressive candidate, it's a matter of them staying neutral, helping get thr vote out for the entire field, and letting the voters decide.

Then why did you quote this part: "The decision has caused local activists to worry that Democrats are ruining their chances of picking up seats they have a real shot at winning in November by engaging in what they see as a misguided campaign to capture disaffected white working-class voters who cast ballots for President Donald Trump."?

Given the district's demographics and recent voting record, that quote is as valuable as a barrel of warm spit.

Why did I provide the opinion of the local activists? To show that they understand the motivations of the party. No where in that quote are they asking for preferential treatment.

Why don't you explain to me, specifically regarding policy, why this group of voters, whom you know nothing about, would prefer a candidate you know nothing about, over another candidate you know nothing about. I'm all ears.

The district voted for Obama twice and is rated R+1.

Because the republican always wins
As I said, you don't know anything about them. Lets be honest here, for some reason you (and many others here) believe that people all line up on some imaginary political spectrum, so that people who vote Republican (Right) are more likely to vote for a Democrat (Left) who is as close to the middle of the spectrum as possible.

That's not how people vote. People don't exist along a one-dimensional spectrum. That's not how they think. There are no doubt a multitude of specific reasons why this district has voted for an individual Republican in the last few elections. Your assumption that these voters must all be staunch economic and social conservatives, is lazy as fuck.

Last edited:
It's weird to me that Pelosi thinks that this helps either her or Lipinski. Does she not have a good grasp on her popularity? I'm told that she's good a whipping votes, but she hasn't been a good face of the party in a while.

IMO, Pelosi should have stepped down as Speaker sometime ago. No doubt the GOP attack machine would soon find another target to build up as the next LibDem "Great Satan", but she's been a useful target of GOP ads for years. I've read that she's a great fundraiser for the party, but I've never thought she was a very effective or persuasive public speaker (her TV interviews are sometimes cringeworthy), and her usefulness is limited at best. Fairly or not, she does seem like a walking, talking stereotype of an out-of-touch California West Coast elitist, and thus has been a very effective campaign tool for the GOP. I suspect that she remains in office for the same reasons so many other pols from both parties do: it's all that she knows, it's a very comfortable lifestyle, and she doesn't want to give up the perks of power. The notion that she's doing more harm than good for her party at this point is probably only a minor consideration for her.

Why did I provide the opinion of the local activists? To show that they understand the motivations of the party. No where in that quote are they asking for preferential treatment.

Why don't you explain to me, specifically regarding policy, why this group of voters, whom you know nothing about, would prefer a candidate you know nothing about, over another candidate you know nothing about. I'm all ears.

I grew up in NJ and my brother lives in this district, so you can STFU about my knowledge of this group of voters.

While I agree that national and state committees should stay out of supporting particular candidates until after the primaries, would you have referenced this primary if the DCCC had endorsed the more progressive first-time, black woman candidate?

I grew up in NJ and my brother lives in this district, so you can STFU about my knowledge of this group of voters.

While I agree that national and state committees should stay out of supporting particular candidates until after the primaries, would you have referenced this primary if the DCCC had endorsed the more progressive first-time, black woman candidate?
Ok, I was wrong about you knowing the voters. I apologize. That still doesn't explain your pedantic explanation, "they always vote Republican". They voted for Obama. Surely you could differentiate the people in your district from Mississippi voters.

IMO, Pelosi should have stepped down as Speaker sometime ago. No doubt the GOP attack machine would soon find another target to build up as the next LibDem "Great Satan", but she's been a useful target of GOP ads for years. I've read that she's a great fundraiser for the party, but I've never thought she was a very effective or persuasive public speaker (her TV interviews are sometimes cringeworthy), and her usefulness is limited at best. Fairly or not, she does seem like a walking, talking stereotype of an out-of-touch California West Coast elitist, and thus has been a very effective campaign tool for the GOP. I suspect that she remains in office for the same reasons so many other pols from both parties do: it's all that she knows, it's a very comfortable lifestyle, and she doesn't want to give up the perks of power. The notion that she's doing more harm than good for her party at this point is probably only a minor consideration for her.

Great post. There’s an Atlantic article that tries to defend her but it shows how weak the case for her is. So she whips a few votes and fundraises. Obviously it’s not working if she’s been the party leader since 2003 and was only speaker for four of those years. Why is fundraising important if her candidates don’t win?

MDMH is right about how a spectrum does not apply.

Ok, I was wrong about you knowing the voters. I apologize. That still doesn't explain your pedantic explanation, "they always vote Republican". They voted for Obama. Surely you could differentiate the people in your district from Mississippi voters.

Thanks for the apology.

Not sure what I have to explain since I never said: "they always vote Republican".

Thanks for the apology.

Not sure what I have to explain since I never said: "they always vote Republican".
I posted that while I was out and I thought at a glance you were agreeing with Louis Gosset Jr - if you aren't, I would like to hear more from you about what you think that NJ district needs in a representative.

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I never knew that mdmh lived in Southern New Jersey.

I never knew that mdmh lived in Southern New Jersey.
Continue with that thought. What don't I know about Southern New Jersey voters? Please educate me. I'm going to be real fucking surprised if those voters support banking deregulation. Maybe Southern New Jersey voters approve of their representatives being controlled by corporate interests, such as opiod producing pharmaceutical companies. I have no idea.

Once-safe Republican districts suddenly in play as Democrats expand the map

The campaign for control of Congress is suddenly playing out across a far larger swath of the country than either party had previously expected, with Tuesday’s special House election in the Pittsburgh suburbs showing how President Trump’s unpopularity is turning many once-safe Republican districts into battlegrounds in this year’s midterm elections.

GOP incumbents who have rarely, if ever, faced a viable challenger are being forced to build campaign operations, raise money and make more frequent appearances across their districts.

Illinois primaries today. JB Pritzker has spent $70 million on the Democratic primary alone, more than the $65 million Trump loaned his presidential campaign. Should he and incumbent Rauner win their respective primary races, the two billionaires will easily push the spending into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

What a fucking world.

Back