• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2.3 MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR COACH GETS SCHOOLED BY DUKE

I like your thinking. Let Duke have one good season, go to a bowl and force them to pay Cut a significant amount more. Bleed those bastards dry slowly. I like it.

Step 3: Profit.

The obvious never seems terribly insightful. What's obvious here is that Grobie got a lifetime gravy train for one good season.

The problem with Wake Forest fans is that the rich brats who make noise on the internet were brought up to appreciate soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse, more than our revenue generating sports. Thus, they do not clearly see problems in our football program.

We don't even have lacrosse you idiot.

The obvious never seems terribly insightful. What's obvious here is that Grobie got a lifetime gravy train for one good season.

The problem with Wake Forest fans is that the rich brats who make noise on the internet were brought up to appreciate soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse, more than our revenue generating sports. Thus, they do not clearly see problems in our football program.

I think you're particularly wrong about the bold. In my book, Grobe gets a ton of credit for 2001-2008. He built an ACC contending team out of Caldwell's ashes and we looked good, really until the end of 2008.

I think 2009-2012 have been telling, but it's stupid to act like Grobe didn't have a really great run. Really stupid.

If she is a State fan troll, you have to admire the dedication of watching our entire football game and then posting nonstop for the next 3 hours about it. I mean, it's probably symptomatic of a mental illness, but still.

If she is a legit poster, where did she come from? You can't tell me a lady as fucknuts as this one just suddenly found this board and decided to post 10,000 times about Grobe's salary. Assuming it's not a troll or moonzzz's saddest parody yet, she must be a poster who has been around a while under a different name.

Finally, the name thing does suck because OldGoldBeard is a top-5 poster, so I see the "OldGold" part and instinctively start reading, then I see the reference to $2.3m and realize I have been duped.

I think it is a State troll because other than the Grobe bashing posts, the only other posts have been over the top anti State comments that seem almost intended to bring the response of State fans that post here. That and the appearance of some juvenile tags has me pretty convinced.

Can this become OGaB's pissing hole?

is grobe reading this board? talk of being aggressive? and oh my comparing last year's va tech team to duke?

"Just today,at our gathering to eat chicken and talk football, Grobe faulted himself once again for accepting the holding call late in the first half of Saturday’s 34-27 loss to Duke, and the floated the idea that one of the team’s problems against the Blue Devils might have been that he and his staff had too many Xs and 0s in the game plan instead of streamlining the schemes to the point where the Deacons could football without being burdened by too many responsibilities."

I feel like Grobe says this every year.

Grobe's faulting himself for accepting that holding penalty? I would have accepted that penalty every time. No different than going for it on fourth and short - you put faith in your guys to make a play. That was a sure FG if we decline the penalty, and I think you have to show confidence that your defense can stop someone on 3rd and 25.

Grobe's faulting himself for accepting that holding penalty? I would have accepted that penalty every time. No different than going for it on fourth and short - you put faith in your guys to make a play. That was a sure FG if we decline the penalty, and I think you have to show confidence that your defense can stop someone on 3rd and 25.

Agree - I have more of a question about some of the other situations.

Nope- decline the penalty and put the pressure on their rookie kicker to make a 40+ yarder and we still maintain a 7-6 lead at that point and some momentum given the previous sack and holding penalties.

I was screaming at the top of my lungs from Section 2 during the hailstorm to decline the penaly and no sooner than I sat back down did we get burned down the middle.

Essentially we gave Dook a 5th down to beat us, regardless of the yardage to go number, and they did.

Accepting the penalty was a no brainer. In that situation you have to be thinking that worst case scenario they'll get back to where they were and still be on the edge of field goal range. Best case scenario they'll be pushed outside of field goal range. I wasn't watching so I don't know if it was the defensive play call or the defensive execution, but most defenses are going to get that stop against most offenses.

Declining it would be senselessly conservative. Play to give up no points, not to give up just 3.

Agree - I have more of a question about some of the other situations.

Me too, I agreed with taking the penalty and still do. I mean the thinking probably was, at best we back them up give up a very short completion or maybe an incomplete pass and at worst give them at 10 to 15 yard completion that gets them back in field goal range where they would've been if we hadn't accepted the penalty. To be honest I wouldn't want our coach to think, "They might actually pick up this 3rd and 25, so even though I might could take them out of field goal range, I better decline the penalty." Of course in typical Wake Forest fashion we gave up the 3rd and forever. The biggest thing I question is the freaking super soft coverage we played that allowed them to pick a couple of 3rd and very longs.

With our swiss cheese D, declining the penalty was the best call. We made a stop to force a FG attempt. We ultimately gave up a TD. Bad call and Grobe knows it.

If you think we should have accepted the penalty, I hope you're never complaining about punting on 4th and 1 or 2. I think our defense has just as good a chance to stop 4th and 25 as our offense has of pushing a D-line back two yards when everyone knows what's coming (or us successfully executing a play-action pass or something in that situation).

With our swiss cheese D, declining the penalty was the best call. We made a stop to force a FG attempt. We ultimately gave up a TD. Bad call and Grobe knows it.

Yeah and if we had lost by 3 points or less, everybody would be complaining about Grobe not taking the penalty.

Sorry to say guys, but I must now be thinking like a $2.3M/year coach since Grobe has now openly voiced his displeasure in the media with his decision.

The bottomline was that our D actually made a stop to force a FG attempt. We gave Dook a "do over" and then got burned for a TD instead of a long FG attempt.

Sorry to say guys, but I must now be thinking like a $2.3M/year coach since Grobe has now openly voiced his displeasure in the media with his decision.

The bottomline was that our D actually made a stop to force a FG attempt. We gave Dook a "do over" and then got burned for a TD instead of a long FG attempt.

So what if that decision had to be made in the 4th quarter??? Let's say you're tied or ahead by 2 points and you have a situation where you can decline a penalty and allow a team to kick a field goal to give them the lead? Do you just allow them to take the lead late in the game because you don't have enough confidence in your defense to not give up a 3rd and 29 or whatever it was? If a coach can't have enough confidence in his defense to not give up a 3rd and freaking 29, there are much worse issues then Grobe's decisions on taking penalties.

ETA: Duke wasn't given a "do-over." A do-over would've been had they been able to run a play with the same distance to gain the first down. They were allowed to repeat 3rd down, with a much, much harder distance to convert the 1st down.

This particular decision was in the 1st Q and we would have still maintained some momentum with a lead, regardless if they made the FG.

BTW, I like how we've hijacked Old G and G's thread with our worthwhile discussion.

This particular decision was in the 1st Q and we would have still maintained some momentum with a lead, regardless if they made the FG.

BTW, I like how we've hijacked Old G and G's thread with our worthwhile discussion.

Anything to take the attention off that douche.

Decisions are easy in hindsight, if Grobe knew we'd give up a freaking 3rd and 29, he would've declined the penalty, but at the time I can understand the thinking. Then again, we are Wake Forest and we have a history of doing the unimaginable, like giving up freaking 3rd and 29's.Facepalm

Back