• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

20 Thing 20-Year-Olds Don't Get

One of the stupidest things a boss can do is to walk around the office around 6pm, checking to see who is still working. My question for the people who work till 6 is WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING FROM 8AM TILL NOW???

If you're incapable of finishing work during a regular work day, then you either have problems or maybe your office needs to hire another person to help you out!

One of the stupidest things a boss can do is to walk around the office around 6pm, checking to see who is still working. My question for the people who work till 6 is WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING FROM 8AM TILL NOW???

If you're incapable of finishing work during a regular work day, then you either have problems or maybe your office needs to hire another person to help you out!

Yeah, good luck telling your boss to hire more people so you can work less.

I know lots of people who have more than 10 hours of work to do in any given day :noidea: How many people really have jobs where they show up to work and have 8-10 specific tasks to complete then are completely done until the next morning?

posting on the boards ldo

Bingo!

I understand if you have 10 hours of work to do, that's when you make sure you're getting paid for those 10 hours.

But yall all know people who dick around all morning and take a long lunch, then don't really get started on work till 3:30.

Bingo!

I understand if you have 10 hours of work to do, that's when you make sure you're getting paid for those 10 hours.

But yall all know people who dick around all morning and take a long lunch, then don't really get started on work till 3:30.

Of course. I'm just not sure why you're conflating those people with others who legit have 10+ hrs of work to do every day or on a given day. If I wanted to work 12 hrs a day, I definitely have the work to do to get there. Could work 12 hrs/day for years on end and not complete all the projects I want to. Sometimes I do work 8-8, other times, I'm 9-5. I think broadly characterizing people on either end is kinda fruitless considering all the variations of offices and workers.

FI/LO depends on the job. At my first job I recognized an opportunity to limit our reliance on post audit recovery companies, and management approved of my endeavor, so I went FI/LO. At my current job I started the first week working until ~6pm at which time my boss would come over to my cube and say, "You need to go home, everything can wait until the morning." I haven't stayed past 6 since.

There are always tools who keep track of hours and gossip it up the line. Of course they gossip when people get in late and leave early, but they also gossip when people get in super early and leave super late. I remember in a meeting one of my coworkers said, "Wow freakadeac what were you doing saving files at 10pm last night?" I never thought of how the 'date modified' tracks when you save documents, so now I try not to save documents at wacky hours.

your co-workers sound like they suck

aren't you a lawyer or soon to be lawyer? i can't imagine your boss will have sympathy if you have to put in a couple 10-hour days a week.

The only time I'm still at work at 6p is when I'm killing time to go somewhere else and don't want to go home first.

aren't you a lawyer or soon to be lawyer? i can't imagine your boss will have sympathy if you have to put in a couple 10-hour days a week.

I was talking about the people who hang out till 6 just to make sure the boss sees them "working late."

1. That person is a moron.

2. That boss is also a moron.

If you work in a field such as law or many financial jobs that require 12-16 hour days my comments are not for you like Townie said.

Of course. I'm just not sure why you're conflating those people with others who legit have 10+ hrs of work to do every day or on a given day. If I wanted to work 12 hrs a day, I definitely have the work to do to get there. Could work 12 hrs/day for years on end and not complete all the projects I want to. Sometimes I do work 8-8, other times, I'm 9-5. I think broadly characterizing people on either end is kinda fruitless considering all the variations of offices and workers.

I'm with Go. It's fine if you have 10+ hours of work a day, but you better be being paid an appropriate salary.

You guys are missing the point of this thread/article: this new generation of employees is absolutely hopeless.

Funny that I went on "vacation" last week and ended up working a day and a half anyway. And yet according to this dude I should get a tongue lashing for being in at 8:03am on the Monday after if my co-worker was here at 7:57. I'd bet this dude took real vacations in his day. And when traveling for work he could read a book instead of having to check email on his smartphone. We are on 24-7 now, but are labeled the lazy generation. Dont get it.

I always wondered what would happen if an office had multiple gunners that were determined to be "first in, last to leave" everyday.

that sounds like a terrible episode of the office, and a great episode of workaholics.

I've never been in a workplace environment where physically being there longer didn't help. Part of the game.

You guys are missing the point of this thread/article: this new generation of employees is absolutely hopeless.

no, we get that, but it's old news. it's more fun to nitpick the article as it does/doesnt relate to our own personal situations and then argue incessantly with other people who may be in a totally different situation.

no, we get that, but it's old news. it's more fun to nitpick the article as it does/doesnt relate to our own personal situations and then argue incessantly with other people who may be in a totally different situation.

oh. apologies.

As a fifty-something who spent twenty years working for two Fortune 100 companies, I don't think the number of hours spent in the office counts for much at promotion time. People look more at what you accomplish as opposed to what time you leave in the evening.

Back