• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

20 Thing 20-Year-Olds Don't Get

I'm glad I work somewhere where the first in / last out thing doesn't apply. Now that I've been here a couple years and have built up some leave time, I'm trying to get on a schedule where I take a full week off in the summer, a full week in the fall, extra time at Christmas, and several long weekends during the year.

Or I work in an industry where there is zero reason for anyone to be there that late 80% of the year.

*eta: not getting defensive towards Townie b/c he knows this, but just in general making the point that the FI/LO practice is dumb in some places as as measure of effort.

agreed - ESPECIALLY if you're not actually doing work and just coming in early/staying late for the face time

i think the real message is that when you enter the workforce, you shouldn't constrain yourself to the "normal hours" of your work environment. if it takes you an extra hour at night or some time in the morning to fully understand and master what you're doing then don't let the fact that everyone comes in and leaves at a particular time stop you.

Or I work in an industry where there is zero reason for anyone to be there that late 80% of the year.

*eta: not getting defensive towards Townie b/c he knows this, but just in general making the point that the FI/LO practice is dumb in some places as as measure of effort.

i don't think anyone is saying that? i was just responding to my experience working in an environment with all gunners.

Yeah I thought it was obvious that I was making a joke or commentary on how these rules aren't exactly applicable to all or even most.

I have a hard time with the FI/LO thing. Perhaps it's because of the industry I'm in, but being the last to leave every day isn't necessarily a good thing... to me it just comes across as inefficiency. Yes, you need to put in time to get proficient and learn the ropes and your job might take longer to do for a little while, but after you learn it unless your extra effort is a true benefit to the bottom line, it's not a great use of time. Especially if your supervisors know your workload.

Agree, and this person obviously doesn't have a family and/or works on Wall St and sees making managing partner as the sole path to a fulfilling life.

As a junior associate there was something to the first in/last out concept (or at least in before bossman, out after bossman), but after about 2 years I realized that it was bullshit . I am still usually one of the first in, but that is just because I am a morning person and am more productive early. I leave when I decide I am done for the day, whether that is first, last or somewhere in betweeen (and whether it is before or after bossman leaves). I know every firm and every boss is different, but a place where staying late just for the sake of being the last one there is the norm and expected by the higher-ups is not a place I would want to work.

i thought this thread was going to be about people born in early 90s who dont understand dial up modems or zach morris cell phones or back to the future.

FI/LO depends on the job. At my first job I recognized an opportunity to limit our reliance on post audit recovery companies, and management approved of my endeavor, so I went FI/LO. At my current job I started the first week working until ~6pm at which time my boss would come over to my cube and say, "You need to go home, everything can wait until the morning." I haven't stayed past 6 since.

There are always tools who keep track of hours and gossip it up the line. Of course they gossip when people get in late and leave early, but they also gossip when people get in super early and leave super late. I remember in a meeting one of my coworkers said, "Wow freakadeac what were you doing saving files at 10pm last night?" I never thought of how the 'date modified' tracks when you save documents, so now I try not to save documents at wacky hours.

at my first job, there were a bunch of those people who would bitch and moan if you didn't stay late enough. never mind that several of them would go out to lunch every day, yet complained when the people who worked through lunch left a little earlier in the evening. it was one of the (many) reasons that i hated that job. at my current job, my boss is nearly always the last one there. it's clear he's trying really hard to climb the corporate ladder, and it's working out for him, so more power to him (he's also not just sitting around. he legitimately works hard late into the night). i don't exactly have the same aspirations, and he doesn't care if i take off by 5:45 each night. nobody else in the department cares at all, and definitely nobody is keeping track.

Of course it's stupid to stay at work just for the sake of posturing but if you've got work to do and want to move up fast then more power to you.

I can only assume anyone who thinks this nonsense applies is in sales. Well, you're a douche anyway then, so no one cares. Working effectively is far more important than hours, or talking on the phone.

i thought this thread was going to be about people born in early 90s who dont understand dial up modems or zach morris cell phones or back to the future.

Or why the universal "save" icon is a little blue square.

I can only assume anyone who thinks this nonsense applies is in sales. Well, you're a douche anyway then, so no one cares. Working effectively is far more important than hours, or talking on the phone.

I think the point is that picking up the phone can dramatically improve your ability to communicate effectively and thus work effectively. If you don't agree with that I'm not sure what to tell you. E-mail is a convenient but generally terrible method of communication.

Anybody want to take a crack at writing 20 things babies won't get in 20 years?

I'd work a lot more effectively if you people would stop calling me. Send me an email and I will get to you when it's time. If some fresh out of college new hire called me or dropped by instead of emailing me, I'd send him packing.

The thing I like about email is it's a passive way of letting somebody know what you want and need and expect prior to your calling them up and blasting them for not providing it.

It's the ultimate CYA tool.

Back