• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

20 Thing 20-Year-Olds Don't Get

It's really been too long since we discussed Cundiff.

I still love that his favorite tweets of the week are random people tweeting old quotes from famous people. Cundiff, dude, just do a favorite QUOTES of the week. Eliminate the middle man. You're a proven change agent. Act like one.

I'm gonna tweet him and show him the boards

wait no, facebook.

I don't really know what this means

Social Media is Not a Career – These job titles won’t exist in 5 years.

Probably an indication that I don't get it. I would definitely think these jobs will exist in 5 years, it just won't be the same social media as it is now.

I think he's saying make marketing the job title instead of social media.

If you put social media as your position and somebody is looking for a marketing plan they may not look at you if your "role" was social media.

He is saying font out yourself in a niche that limits opportunity. I believe he is wrong on that point though.

I don't really know what this means

Social Media is Not a Career – These job titles won’t exist in 5 years.

Probably an indication that I don't get it. I would definitely think these jobs will exist in 5 years, it just won't be the same social media as it is now.

If you put social media as your position and somebody is looking for a marketing plan they may not look at you if your "role" was social media.

He is saying font out yourself in a niche that limits opportunity. I believe he is wrong on that point though.

Yeah that definitely makes sense. That one just came across as "these kids and their damn twitter" more than anything else.

I think I understand the underlying point that angling for it as a job title may not be your best move. Even something simple like going for "digital media" strategist/consultant/manager/whatever is better than "social media" in those cases.

I always wondered what would happen if an office had multiple gunners that were determined to be "first in, last to leave" everyday.

I have a hard time with the FI/LO thing. Perhaps it's because of the industry I'm in, but being the last to leave every day isn't necessarily a good thing... to me it just comes across as inefficiency. Yes, you need to put in time to get proficient and learn the ropes and your job might take longer to do for a little while, but after you learn it unless your extra effort is a true benefit to the bottom line, it's not a great use of time. Especially if your supervisors know your workload.

I'm 40 and most of that list is bullshit

I think I understand the underlying point that angling for it as a job title may not be your best move. Even something simple like going for "digital media" strategist/consultant/manager/whatever is better than "social media" in those cases.

True, but I don't know too many people who have an official "social media" job title. Although I also don't see official titiles very much on a daily basis.

I always wondered what would happen if an office had multiple gunners that were determined to be "first in, last to leave" everyday.

If the people are competitive enough, it can create some really long work days. I am definitely that person, and as long as I have plenty of work to do, I am always first in last to leave. If I finish up my work at a decent hour, I'm happy to leave and enjoy the free time, but I get pissed when I round the corner in the morning and another car is in the parking lot. It makes me get up earlier and rush out the doir in the morning to ensure that I beat everyone.

It means sneaking out via the back stair case because it's 10pm, and there are 3 senior partners and 2 partners hanging out in a conference cube.

I probably work less than most of my peers, but I'm generally very productive and get done what I need to get done. "First in, last to leave" might be wise advice for a company with a 8 to 5 culture, but it's asinine for someone who works in an organization like mine.

this is the experience of most junior people in investment banking bullpens. plus you're all in open cubes, so no way to sneak out without everyone noticing. this results in 8am to midnight days everyday. and you always have a couple of tools that keep tabs on people's hours and gossip it up the line to more senior people. it also didn't help in my experience that the head of our group lived in the city during the week and usually worked till midnight himself.

that sounds like my personal hell.

Or I work in an industry where there is zero reason for anyone to be there that late 80% of the year.

*eta: not getting defensive towards Townie b/c he knows this, but just in general making the point that the FI/LO practice is dumb in some places as as measure of effort.

Back