• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2007 - Greatest Modern Year in Film

MHBDemon

Reaction score
For the past two weeks I've been obsessing over the collection of films released in 2007. I'm not sure if this has been discussed in previous films threads, but even if it has, we can geek out over it more right?

In my mind, 2007 blows 1994 or 1999 out of the water.

This wikipedia post is a fun reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_film

The quantity and quality of films is unmatched.

No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Michael Clayton
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (my favorite movie of the year)
Gone Baby Gone
Zodiac
Rescue Dawn
Superbad
Juno
Knocked Up
3:10 to Yuma
Eastern Promises
Into the Wild
American Gangster
Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Counterfeiters
Lust, Caution
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Before the Devils Knows You're Dead

If there is a year that rivals it, let's hear its resume.

Last edited:
TWBB and No Country are in my top 10 favorite all time, TWBB in my top 3

2001 was a far better year...Two words for you: Fast & Furious.

</thread>

2001 was a solid year

Lord of the Rings 1
Harry Potter 1
Monsters Inc.
Shrek
Oceans 11
A Beautiful Mind
Moulin Rouge
Monsters Ball
The Royal Tenenbaums
Training Day
Memento
Amelie
A.I.
Ali
Behind Enemy Lines
Black Hawk Down
Blow
The Devils Backbone
Donnie Darko
Enemy At The Gates
The Fast & The Furious
Frailty
From Hell
Gosford Park
Hannibal
I Am Sam
Ichi The Killer
Joe Dirt
A Knights Tale
The Last Castle
The Score
Session 9
Spirited Away
Super Troopers
Y tu mama tambien
Zoolander

2001 was a solid year

Lord of the Rings 1
Harry Potter 1
Monsters Inc.
Shrek
Oceans 11
A Beautiful Mind
Moulin Rouge
Monsters Ball
The Royal Tenenbaums
Training Day
Memento
Amelie
A.I.
Ali
Behind Enemy Lines
Black Hawk Down
Blow
The Devils Backbone
Donnie Darko
Enemy At The Gates
The Fast & The Furious
Frailty
From Hell
Gosford Park
Hannibal
I Am Sam
Ichi The Killer
Joe Dirt
A Knights Tale
The Last Castle
The Score
Session 9
Spirited Away
Super Troopers
Y tu mama tambien
Zoolander

Decent list. Good quantity. Can't compete with 07 for quality at the top.

Assassination, Zodiac and There Will Be Blood are three of the best movies of the past 10 years, so yeah, this was an amazing year.

Decent list. Good quantity. Can't compete with 07 for quality at the top.

Those movies (There will be blood, no country) were considered great at the time, but they've lost a little of their shine. Still damn good movies, but not particularly better than the top award nominees in any given year. In my opinion.

Last edited:
Those movies (There will be blood, no country) were considered great at the time, but they've lost a little of their shine. Still damn good movies, but not particularly better than the top award nominees in any given year. In my opinion.

I haven't heard any arguments that they've lost any shine, but would be willing to listen. I just think they could lose a ton of shine, and still trump other years. Crash sucked and won in 2006, Curious Case of Benjamin Button was nominated in 2009. I guess 2010-2011 were pretty good years.

Michael Clayton would have been a worthy Oscar contender in most years from that decade.

I think I'll stick with 1994. I like all of the following movies to some degree (including a top five all time in Pulp Fiction).

Pulp Fiction
Hoop Dreams
Quiz Show
Lion King
Shawshank
Forrest Gump
Heavenly Creatures
Chungking Express
The Professional
Nobody's Fool (so underrated)
Ed Wood
Legends of the Fall
Natural Born Killers
The Client
Clerks
Speed
Three Colors Trilogy
Crumb
Interview with a Vampire
Wyatt Earp
Clear and Present Danger
The Mask

Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (my favorite movie of the year)

That movie needs to find a much larger audience. The Roger Deakins cinematography is incredible. I think I might've posted this before but this is one of my all time favorite scenes in any film.

The average IMDb user rating of the best 20 rated films from 2001 mentioned in this thread is 7.84, while the average of the top 20 films from 2007 mentioned here is 7.77. 2001 was a little more top-heavy with LOTR, Memento, Amelie, and A Beautiful Mind. Very close (and very good) years quality-wise.

That movie needs to find a much larger audience. The Roger Deakins cinematography is incredible. I think I might've posted this before but this is one of my all time favorite scenes in any film.

Incredible cinematography

Assassination is probably the most underrated (or under seen) movie in recent history. Absolutely stunning movie.

Back