• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2007 - Greatest Modern Year in Film

Boyle's sensibilities as a director just don't jive with me. He tries to make everything hyper-kinetic, even if it doesn't call for it. He over-directs like crazy. Trainspotting is alright, probably his most interesting film, but still, Boyle tries to make the underground drug scene so cool and stylish (Gasper Noe later did this in Enter the Void, to slightly better results). His high-concept editing and camerawork is in service of nothing, his visual style is all over the place (this is in the same category as Snatch, another smug, "hey aren't we clever" piece of nonsense). Requiem for a Dream is by far the better drug movie. 28 Days Later is my favorite of his, because for once his style actually melded with the material. Millions is whatever, a decent little flick. Sunshine is laughably bad, Slumdog Millionaire I already gave my thoughts on, and 127 Hours was saved by Franco's brilliant performance and the music. Boyle, again, over-directs the thing. Haven't seen Trance yet. I don't know, I know I'm in the minority with my Boyle hate, but I think he's a pretty bad director.

Boyle's sensibilities as a director just don't jive with me. He tries to make everything hyper-kinetic, even if it doesn't call for it. He over-directs like crazy. Trainspotting is alright, probably his most interesting film, but still, Boyle tries to make the underground drug scene so cool and stylish (Gasper Noe later did this in Enter the Void, to slightly better results). His high-concept editing and camerawork is in service of nothing, his visual style is all over the place (this is in the same category as Snatch, another smug, "hey aren't we clever" piece of nonsense). Requiem for a Dream is by far the better drug movie. 28 Days Later is my favorite of his, because for once his style actually melded with the material. Millions is whatever, a decent little flick. Sunshine is laughably bad, Slumdog Millionaire I already gave my thoughts on, and 127 Hours was saved by Franco's brilliant performance and the music. Boyle, again, over-directs the thing. Haven't seen Trance yet. I don't know, I know I'm in the minority with my Boyle hate, but I think he's a pretty bad director.

Perfectly valid opinion, but I could start a whole new thread on how unfairly criticized horror, and genre/horror films (Sunshine) are. Apparently the only way that a modern horror film can be acclaimed is to parody genre tropes.

Perfectly valid opinion, but I could start a whole new thread on how unfairly criticized horror, and genre/horror films are. Apparently the only way that a modern horror film can be acclaimed is to parody genre tropes.

No arguments here. Have you seen Maniac? Best horror movie I've seen in a long time.

No arguments here. Have you seen Maniac? Best horror movie I've seen in a long time.

I want to see it. My friends website (film school rejects) has been talking about it for 3 years, but it's been stuck in release-limbo for way too long. Same for Berberian Sound Studio and American Mary, they both should have been released in mid-2012. Speaking of horror films being under-regarded, Sleep Tight was one of the best films of 2012. I can't speak highly enough of it, it's fucking great. My Wal-Mart has the DVD in the Spanish language movie section for just 10 bucks.

Last edited:
I want to see it. My friends website (film school rejects) has been talking about it for 3 years, but it's been stuck in release-limbo for way too long. Same for Berberian Sound Studio and American Mary, they both should have been released in mid-2012. Speaking of horror films being under-regarded, Sleep Tight was one of the best films of 2012. I can't speak highly enough of it, it's fucking great. My Wal-Mart had the DVD it in the Spanish language movie section for just 10 bucks.

Haven't seen Sleep Tight. Will check it out. Rented Maniac on-demand the other day. Pretty much the whole thing is shot in first person. Written by Alexandre Aja. William Lustig's 1980 cult-classic original is one of my favorite horror/cult films ever. This one is probably one of the better remakes I've ever seen.

Last edited:
no kidding, i've ranked 550 movies today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

no kidding, i've ranked 550 movies today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I ranked 200 movies in like 30 minutes then went and tried to re-rank those against each other so The Mask wasn't my #1 movie lol

Really looking forward to using this to analyze my lists by multiple criteria.

I just started flickchart. This is awesome.

that being said: no way do I love Goldeneye that much... right?

Good call on Children of Men. It will probably take me some time to finish my list, but as a warning, it might have Hustle and Flow on it. Will definitely have In Bruges, and Assassination of JJ on it.

Tremendous film. Gritty scary scifi

Back