• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2007 - Greatest Modern Year in Film

I also hate Tree of Life and The Fountain and also frequently forget they are different movies.

Shiiiiiiit I love Wolf Creek. Also Half Nelson was a near miss for me. I love everything about that movie.
Yeah, Wolf Creek is soooo goddamn good. A perfect minimalist, evocative, existential horror film. As for Tree of Life, what can I say, that's a perfect movie to me. Malick is one of the geniuses of film making, and I think that's his most personal film. Don't care much for The Fountain either.

Miami Vice? Really?
Yeah, it's an absolutely mesmerizing film. Mann's nighttime, digital photography is incredible, the whole movie is just gorgeous, and no one does the existential crime thing better than Michael Mann. Mann is doing some really amazing revisionist genre work in that movie. It's definitely worth a second look if you haven't seen it in a while.

Last edited:
10. Pan's Labyrinth
9. Millennium Actress
8. Requiem for a Dream
7. Sin City
6. Slumdog Millionaire
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. About a Boy
3. Snatch
2. Sunshine
1. Stay

There are some other great ones that I saw only once, like Moon, TWBB, Road to Perdition, and Children of Men, and probably a ton more that I overlooked. Just below the fold are The Prestige, Enter the Void, Cloud Atlas (I want to re-evaluate it in a few years before deciding if my initial impression of "top 5 film of the decade" is appropriate), Moonrise Kingdom, V For Vendetta, Crash, Irreversible, and Mystic River.

Knocked Up is the most underrated, and most undeservedly disrespected, comedy in history.

2007 was also the last really good year in music, IMO.

Forgot to include American Psycho, Cabin Fever, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Minority Report, The Devils Backbone, Bronson, The Descent, Punch-Drunk Love and Let the Right One In in my "just missed the cut" list. Too many movies to list, could easily do a top 100.

Here's mine. I am a big 2011 fan.

1.) Kill Bill (2003/2004)
2.) Drive (2011)
3.) The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
4.) Anchorman (2004) / Stepbrothers (2008)
5.) Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
6.) The Departed (2006)
7.) Sin City (2005)
8.) Super 8 (2011)
9.) An Education (2009)
10.) Almost Famous (2000)

Just missed, alphabetical order:
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)
Doubt (2008)
Insomnia (2002)
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)
The Master (2012)
Minority Report (2002)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
A Serious Man (2009)
The Social Network (2010)
Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
There Will Be Blood (2007)
WALL-E (2008)

Last edited:
Also forgot A Serious Man, one of my favorite Coens. Probably a tie with No Country for their movies in the 00s.

I purposefully left out 2012 flicks, cause they are still too fresh, but if including those I would certainly put The Master up near the top 10.

I purposefully left out 2012 flicks, cause they are still too fresh, but if including those I would certainly put The Master up near the top 10.

I'd put Take Shelter up against any film since 2000.

I guess the thing with flicks like Children of Men and another favorite, Gus Van Sant's Elephantor another, The Pianist, is that as emotionally powerful and brilliantly acted and shot as they may be, the rewatchability is so low because of how heavy the subject matter is.

Back