• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2007 - Greatest Modern Year in Film

I can understand not going back to the 30s-50s, but there are tons of movies in the 60s-80s that are better that what's made today. Cinematic tricks and computers do not trump solid storytelling and acting.

I can understand not going back to the 30s-50s, but there are tons of movies in the 60s-80s that are better that what's made today. Cinematic tricks and computers do not trump solid storytelling and acting.

Bullshit... you're telling me Pacific Rim isn't the greatest movie ever made? Silly old timer.

2007 is arguably tops in the decade but compared to 93, 94 and several years in the 80s?

HELL 2 da naw

2007 is arguably tops in the decade but compared to 93, 94 and several years in the 80s?

HELL 2 da naw
This is basically what I'm saying. If we wanna bring the 80's into the conversation, then nearly every year is better than 2007, or any other year in the aughts. It's not really fair to compare a movie that has been around for 30 years, and people have had a chance to re-evaluate and study to one that came out 6 years ago, and still has the stigma of it's initial critical/audience reaction attached to it.

Bullshit... you're telling me Pacific Rim isn't the greatest movie ever made? Silly old timer.

I know 1967 with Cool Hand Luke, The Graduate, In The Heat of the Night, Bonnie & Clyde, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, etc., can't compare to 2007's Sydney White, Daddy Day Care and Norbitt.

Reactions: DG3
I think I'll stick with 1994. I like all of the following movies to some degree (including a top five all time in Pulp Fiction).

Pulp Fiction
Hoop Dreams
Quiz Show
Lion King
Shawshank
Forrest Gump
Heavenly Creatures
Chungking Express
The Professional
Nobody's Fool (so underrated)
Ed Wood
Legends of the Fall
Natural Born Killers
The Client
Clerks
Speed
Three Colors Trilogy
Crumb
Interview with a Vampire
Wyatt Earp
Clear and Present Danger
The Mask

He said MODERN, you old bastard.

I love those cinematic tricks. Thank God I didn't have to suffer through a time without them. "Acting and Storytelling" lol, Who wants to live to live in a world without real looking alien bugs in Apollo 18?

The lists for these years prove that you can still make excellent films with cinematography, acting, and storytelling as the main focus regardless of technological advances. Saying otherwise is just being a curmudgeon for the sake of it.

The nominees for 1994 best film were ridiculously good:

Forrest Gump
Quiz Show
Pulp Fiction
Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Shawshank Redemption

Those movies (There will be blood, no country) were considered great at the time, but they've lost a little of their shine. Still damn good movies, but not particularly better than the top award nominees in any given year. In my opinion.

Disagree.

Both of those movies are for people who like to think they are bigtime intellectuals and film buffs.

The lists for these years prove that you can still make excellent films with cinematography, acting, and storytelling as the main focus regardless of technological advances. Saying otherwise is just being a curmudgeon for the sake of it.

Don't see curmudgeon being used to describe young people too often.

Disagree.

That they are not still damn good movies? Or that they're not particularly better than the top award nominees in any given year? It's my belief that you could go through nearly every year in the last 15 years and find 2 or 3 comparably great films. I don't think TWBB and NCFOM set 2007 apart, as a year in film.

Both of those movies are for people who like to think they are bigtime intellectuals and film buffs.

I could see how you could say this for There Will Be Blood, but No Country for Old Men was just plain entertaining.

That they are not still damn good movies? Or that they're not particularly better than the top award nominees in any given year? It's my belief that you could go through nearly every year in the last 15 years and find 2 or 3 comparably great films. I don't think TWBB and NCFOM set 2007 apart, as a year in film.

I really think in terms of taking top 2 movies from a year, these two make 2007 the best since 2000. Slumdog and Dark Knight in '08 is solid.

I don't necessarily think TWBB in itself sets 2007 apart from every other year. Yes, most years you have 1 or 2 movies that are its equal. But I don't think TWBB has lost any of its shine. It's still a masterpiece, and can probably be considered more so now than when it first came out. No Country I could see, I don't think it's on the same level.

I'm very biased in these discussions about objective "best" because TWBB is one of my favorite films of all time. I literally made the claim on the chat thread last night before this thread was even posted that it's my favorite film since 2000. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is probably the film closest for me.

Back