• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2007 - Greatest Modern Year in Film

Children of Men has some rewatchability thanks to the cinematography.

I guess the thing with flicks like Children of Men and another favorite, Gus Van Sant's Elephantor another, The Pianist, is that as emotionally powerful and brilliantly acted and shot as they may be, the rewatchability is so low because of how heavy the subject matter is.

Yup. That's my issue with Blue Valentine, too. It's a tough movie to bring myself to watch.

The RSFette likes to give me shit about Doubt for that reason, but fuck that noise, I'll watch what is essentially a Streep/Hoffman boxing movie any day of the week.

For movies from 2012 i'd put "Beyond The Black Rainbow" on my list as well. I recognize that it's weird as fuck though.

Children of Men has some rewatchability thanks to the cinematography.

I agree that it's brilliant, but you've gotta get over the 70 minutes of screen time that involves burning human/cow flesh of some kind.

Also love A Serious Man, think its the Coen's best work since 2000. Their movie coming out later this year, Inside Llewlyn Davis, got raves out of Cannes. Looking for a return to form from them after True Grit was pretty goddamn bad.

Also love A Serious Man, think its the Coen's best work since 2000. Their movie coming out later this year, Inside Llewlyn Davis, got raves out of Cannes. Looking for a return to form from them after True Grit was pretty goddamn bad.

I seem to disagree with the other film afficionados on this thread about the Coen's filmography. The films of theirs that you all seem to appreciate the most, I think are their very worst. I definitely don't get the hate for True Grit. I thought it was a damn good movie, and it got great reviews, though I guess your hate for it isn't very different from my hate for A Serious Man, despite it's great reviews.

Last edited:
I found True Grit really annoying. Oscar bait nonsense, straightforward, none of the complexities that usually fill Coen Brother movies. I still don't think anything they've done this decade can compare with Fargo, The Big Lebowski or Barton Fink.

All of you are so fucking pretentious. I like the Cannonball Run series and Stroker Ace. Basically, if it has Burt Reynolds and was filmed in the 80s, it's in my top ten.

I thought True Grit was fine. I liked it, but it is a long ways down the list of the Coens' filmography for me.

Miller's Crossing >>>>>>>>> Barton Fink

My office phone just got turned on, and my first call to my boss was "Mr. Hammond, the phones are working" he had no idea what i was talking about. #jurassicparknerd

I had difficulty with order 5-10, so they are pretty interchangeable.

1 Assassination of Jesse James
2 In Bruges
3 American Psycho
4 There Will Be Blood
5 Hustle and Flow
6 Michael Clayton
7 Training Day
8 Children of Men
9 Django Unchained
10 Let the Right One In

HM: The Fighter (on Bale's performance alone), The Dark Knight, Adaptation, 21 Grams, Grizzly Man, Doubt, Tropic Thunder, Bernie

I haven't seen Slumdog, but for some reason want to hate it. Is it really that good?

Pretty good. Worth it for LATIKAAAAAAAAAAA

Slumdog-millionaire-2.jpg

surely you don't feel the same way about city of god

No I think City of God is really good, at least from what I remember. Haven't seen it in a while. From what I can recall it avoids the fetishism of poverty that Boyle likes to revel in. Fernando Meirelles has made two movies (CoG and The Constant Gardner) that are pretty great. Of course I pretty much hate Danny Boyle, so there's that.

awww did you hate trainspotting? i also like elephant, the n irish one, which he produced.

I like Boyle: 28 Days Later, Trainspotting, Millions, Sunshine (Event Horizon ripoff), Slumdog, 127 hours were all decent to great movies.

Back