• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 Atlanta Braves Thread

With Leonard invited to Spring Training, is he a viable option at ANY point during the season at 3rd? He's an absurd glove, the concern is his hitting. But if the bats are hot later down the stretch, I'm more concerned with fielding.

Terdy invited as an OF. Wamp wamp.

It's fucking cold outside and my afternoon class was just cancelled. I think I'm going to have a beer and watch some more 2012 Braves games and pretend like it's summer.

Justin Upton to wear #8. Wore #10 in Arizona, but clearly, that is off limits. Press conference to be sometime next week.

Agreed. No way that McCann should be batting clean up. Freddi or Uggla should be there and I would move McCann further down.

Uggla???? Seriously, have you seen the Braves play the last two years???

Lineup should def start out as :

Simmons (R)
Heyward (L)
JUpton (R)
Freddie (L)
BJ Upton (R)
McCann (L)
Uggla (R)
Francisco/Johnson

Keep Heyward/JUpton at 2-3, and move the others around depending on who has the hot hand

I don't worry much about lineups, except when Fredi was hitting Heyward like 7th there for a while. According to the statistical community, all baseball teams fuck this up anyway in terms of lineup optimization. If you care, you can read more about it here:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

I am definitely pumped for this season. I love that the team finally made a move to try to win a World Series. That's been my biggest beef with the franchise going on about 10 years.

I do imagine Wren will try to find a veteran starter to maybe stash in AAA or in the bullpen in the event Teheran isn't ready or an injury occurs. No way you make it through the entire season with only 5 starters, and I'm not counting on much from Beachy this season. Someone like Oswalt would make sense. I'm also intrigued by Javy Vazquez if he indeed tries to make a comeback. Wren got Sheets last year, so I trust him to figure it out.

By the way, Wren has really done a great job as the Atlanta GM.

With Leonard invited to Spring Training, is he a viable option at ANY point during the season at 3rd? He's an absurd glove, the concern is his hitting. But if the bats are hot later down the stretch, I'm more concerned with fielding.

I don't know about Leonard in particular, but because of the solid offense in place, I would be on board with a badass glove at 3rd, punting on offense from that position. If you had a great glove at 3rd to go with Simmons at SS, the left side of the infield would basically be impenetrable. Coupled with a strong defensive OF, that would help our young starters immensely, and a ground ball pitcher like Hudson would thrive.

I suspect Wren will have a pretty short leash with Francisco and Johnson. He should have some money for a mid season acquisition. Don't really know who else is out there. Scott Rolen can't hit anymore and gets hurt all the time, but I think his glove is still there. He could be interesting. Or you could just bring Chipper out of retirement. :thumbsup:

I don't worry much about lineups, except when Fredi was hitting Heyward like 7th there for a while. According to the statistical community, all baseball teams fuck this up anyway in terms of lineup optimization. If you care, you can read more about it here:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

I am definitely pumped for this season. I love that the team finally made a move to try to win a World Series. That's been my biggest beef with the franchise going on about 10 years.

I do imagine Wren will try to find a veteran starter to maybe stash in AAA or in the bullpen in the event Teheran isn't ready or an injury occurs. No way you make it through the entire season with only 5 starters, and I'm not counting on much from Beachy this season. Someone like Oswalt would make sense. I'm also intrigued by Javy Vazquez if he indeed tries to make a comeback. Wren got Sheets last year, so I trust him to figure it out.

By the way, Wren has really done a great job as the Atlanta GM.

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I also agree Wren has done an outstanding job with his resources at hand.

I don't know about Leonard in particular, but because of the solid offense in place, I would be on board with a badass glove at 3rd, punting on offense from that position. If you had a great glove at 3rd to go with Simmons at SS, the left side of the infield would basically be impenetrable. Coupled with a strong defensive OF, that would help our young starters immensely, and a ground ball pitcher like Hudson would thrive.

I suspect Wren will have a pretty short leash with Francisco and Johnson. He should have some money for a mid season acquisition. Don't really know who else is out there. Scott Rolen can't hit anymore and gets hurt all the time, but I think his glove is still there. He could be interesting. Or you could just bring Chipper out of retirement. :thumbsup:

I bet Chipper has already put on 30 pounds, drankin' bears, fishin', huntin'. He and Mike Hampton are probably killing it in the off season, kicking back.

Right now, while everyone has the warm-fuzzies, would seem to be a pretty idyllic time to propose a long term deal to Jason Heyward. Shit, I might even try to extend Justin Upton for a couple more years. Having those 2 at the corner OF spot for several years would be amazing.

Right now, while everyone has the warm-fuzzies, would seem to be a pretty idyllic time to propose a long term deal to Jason Heyward. Shit, I might even try to extend Justin Upton for a couple more years. Having those 2 at the corner OF spot for several years would be amazing.

I'd try both. Need to lock both up long term. Hope to get Freddie locked up next off season as well as Med & Beachy.

Shoot. Just go ahead a lock everybody up besides Mac & Tim.

Also, are Jason & Justin interchangeable at the 2 & 3 holes?

Remember every team should get a revenue bump next year too with MLB's new national deal.

Back