• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 NASCAR Season Long Thread

Not the Cup series, but Burt Myers was docked 50 points after getting busted with illegal wheels before last weekend's race. Allowable width is 10" and his were almost 11". http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2...ocked-50-points-for-wheels-violat-ar-2335288/ Two weeks in a row he's be busted. The week before it was for soaking his tires.

Also, at 3pm tomorrow the K&N Series race from Bowman Gray will be replayed.

I'm not sure if his tires were soaked the week before or not. They made the top 4 in point standings turn their tires back in and get another set off the truck. I've heard the original tires were sent to NASCAR R&D to be tested but can't confirm that. I'm pretty sure other guys have been running wide wheels but for several weeks now the officials have been taking a close look at wheels and tires. I'm not sure why Burt is the only one that still took a chance on running the wide wheels. A pretty stiff penalty for him and you don't see this happen much/at all at BGS.

yeah, he's a douche. but i still don't see that as nascars issue. if his employer finds that behavior acceptable or not, then they should decide if he is who they want to represent them. nascar should stick to what happens on the track. nascar has run off enough personalities already, at this point I'll take a kurt busch over a jamie mcmurray, matt kenseth, or any of the countless boring dudes.

It is a NASCAR issue because he directly impacts NASCAR's image, which is everything to NASCAR as it should be. There is a huge difference between having a fiery personality and being a complete and total ass. If Kurt kept his douchiness strictly to the track, it would be one thing. But to constantly call out your own team and owner over the radio, be amazingly rude to any number of people, and do all this knowing you are on your last chance is beyond stupid. It speaks directly to the unwiped ass that is Kurt.

I do agree the sport has become too vanilla. No more feuds, on track altercations and such. Just single file, everybody play nice racing. I am sure Sr is rolling in his grave.

I disagree. If anything, like I said, he spices it up and people will tune in to see what happens next and boo the heel. NASCAR should thank their lucky stars, stay out of it unless it impacts competition, and let his employer decide what they will tolerate and what they want their image to be.

I'm not sure if his tires were soaked the week before or not. They made the top 4 in point standings turn their tires back in and get another set off the truck. I've heard the original tires were sent to NASCAR R&D to be tested but can't confirm that. I'm pretty sure other guys have been running wide wheels but for several weeks now the officials have been taking a close look at wheels and tires. I'm not sure why Burt is the only one that still took a chance on running the wide wheels. A pretty stiff penalty for him and you don't see this happen much/at all at BGS.

I love your username btw, I just wanted to point that out. The guys over at IAAM have been claiming all season that the Myers' have been soaking their tires. I unofficially officially heard from another source that the durometer tests at the track showed they were much softer than the others confiscated, but when they were sent to Mooresville they found no hijinks with them. A crew member for another modified team told me that it was one of the NASCAR officials that checked the wheels, and went above the BGS officials. Burt on FB said he was told by an official that the docking of the points was to send a message to all the drivers, and that is why it was much more harsh than anything ever given.

I love your username btw, I just wanted to point that out. The guys over at IAAM have been claiming all season that the Myers' have been soaking their tires. I unofficially officially heard from another source that the durometer tests at the track showed they were much softer than the others confiscated, but when they were sent to Mooresville they found no hijinks with them. A crew member for another modified team told me that it was one of the NASCAR officials that checked the wheels, and went above the BGS officials. Burt on FB said he was told by an official that the docking of the points was to send a message to all the drivers, and that is why it was much more harsh than anything ever given.

Folks have been claiming for years that several teams pull a tire switch every week. I've never really sat in the pits and watched to see if they do it or not but others claim to have seen it firsthand. Burt's tires may very well have been soaked 2 weeks ago. I wasn't there to see them tested but the durometer doesn't lie. I think the most likely explanation for such a stiff penalty is a combination of the K&N officials being at the track last weekend and that BGS gave Burt a pass the week before on soaked tires and coming back the very next week with wide wheels was a slap in the face to track management.

I hope a camera is rolling the day someone finally knocks that cocky prick on his ass.

I'm just going to put this right here:

292201_389039101143244_933542592_n.jpg

ouch....

Guys have been soaking tires for years out at the stadium, some cars also have traction control, others have illegal Carbs, polished heads on crate engines and a million other ways to cheat. When I was out there every week covering the races, I heard all the stories. This one is nothing new, and it adds to the drama that is summer racing at BG stadium. Watch Burt come back and have enough points to win the championship, except for what he loses on this penalty. Either that, or he'll cheat it up big time from here until August.

Definitely one of the more entertaining Pocono races in quite a while. I usually dread this track. There seemed to be something up with the pit road exiting scoring monitor as I've never seen that many people get clocked for speeding. JJ even got clicked for speeding coming through to serve a speeding penalty. Not a Logano fan, but congrats to him. Maybe that means he'll keep his ride for next year.

Junior really struggling with the interview there.

Already switched it. What did he say?

First time they asked him, he was all choked up, and said "Can we start over?" And they re-asked him the question, and he started ok, but could only get like one sentence in, stuttering and making no sense before they cut away from him. Sounded like he had a concussion or he was drunk or something. It was weird.

First time they asked him, he was all choked up, and said "Can we start over?" And they re-asked him the question, and he started ok, but could only get like one sentence in, stuttering and making no sense before they cut away from him. Sounded like he had a concussion or he was drunk or something. It was weird.

Probably totally pissed that he had the best car and should have won the race. Had they not pitted for gas, there wasn't anyone that had anything for him except maybe Kenseth.

I agree that this Pocono race was much more interesting than years past. I felt bad for mark, but joeys move was a thing of beauty.

Just got tickets for the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. While I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, I couldn't resist the idea of catching a race under the lights. My plan is to stay up in St. Augustine the night before and night of the race, and I know getting back there afterwards is going to be a royal pain with all the traffic. Anybody who has been to Daytona have any good tips? I'm not exactly a veteran when it comes to handling NASCAR events or the Daytona/St. Augustine areas.

Back