• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 Atlanta Braves NL East Champs OFFSEASON: Cobb County Stadium? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us Wake/Braves fans need the Bravos to be good this year. I need something positive sports-wise in my life.

The Atlanta Braves took one step closer to finalizing their opening day roster before Tuesday's game. The team sent shortstop Tyler Pastornicky, outfielder Jose Constanza, and reliever David Carpenter to triple-A. The demotions of Pastornicky and Constanza send the message that outfielder Jordan Schafer has made the opening day roster.

Pastornicky was one of the hottest hitters this spring, but was competing against the slick-fielding utility infielder Ramiro Pena for a backup infield spot, and Schafer for a possible fifth outfielder and bench spot. Both Pena and Schafer are out of minor league options, and if the Braves didn't add them to their opening day roster they could risk losing them to another team.

Pastornicky will return to triple-A and continue to work on his defense, making him a more valuable utility player. Constanza will return to the league in which he won a batting title last year, and continue to hope that the Braves once again call his name this season.

The demotion of Carpenter leaves two players battling for the last spot in the bullpen. Anthony Varvaro and Cristhian Martinez, both out of minor league options. Whichever pitcher does not make the team will likely be traded to avoid being lost on waivers. This decision could come down to the final days before the season as other teams look to solidify their bullpen.

The only remaining position player roster battle is the one for backup catcher between Evan Gattis and Matt Pagnozzi. Gattis brings offense to the position, while Pagnozzi brings Major League backup experience and good defense. This is possibly the most eagerly awaited decision of spring training -- will the Braves usher in the Gattis Era?

Heading down to see the braves play the cubs the first weekend of the season. Pumped

Why did we give a ML deal to Pena? I'd rather have offense off the bench than a glove first guy who isn't as good as our everyday SS. Pastornicky's bat is going to play in the Majors and he has some value as a super util guy.

Pastornicky's defense is terrible at SS. and I think we want him to have time in the minors to become a super util guy...still needs to improve at 2B and OF. Hence, Pena.

Alright, Braves. Thanks to the morass (emphasis on the second syllable) into which Wake sports has descended, I am all freakin' in on this team this year. Please don't let me down.

I'm so freaking pumped for this season. Got my Heyward jersey hanging in the closet ready to go. Trying to decide where to go out to watch Opening Day next Monday.

Sounds like we will have Varvaro and Martinez to start the year if this Venters injury is bad.

To go along with the great news that it is only 5 more days left before the season starts is that Evan Gattis has made the Opening Day Roster. Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back