• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 Atlanta Braves NL East Champs OFFSEASON: Cobb County Stadium? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BC6Z8dHCIAAExws.jpg

Reactions: Go
YES, they finally signed Colby Rasmus. I told you they should have traded Prado and Jurrjens for him a couple of years ago!

For those who miss Bourn, can you name the Giants' leadoff hitter?

The Braves also don't have anything close to Buster Posey and his .957 OPS in 2012 in the middle of their lineup, either. Posey put up those gaudy OPS numbers playing his home games in an absolute pitcher's park to boot. Chipper Jones, by comparison, led the 2012 Braves with an .832 OPS.

As to phan's point about BJ playing in a tougher offensive environment, the park factors for 2012 show that both Turner Field and Tropicana repress HRs (.873 for Turner and .774 for Tropicana). Chase was the 6th most HR friendly park last year at 1.192

Turner Field and Chase are both doubles friendly. Turner Field was #3 at 1.197, and Chase was #4 at 1.176.

While Tropicana repressed doubles (#22 at .922), it was the 7th most triple friendly park at 1.286. Chase was #12 at 1.176, and Turner Field was just about neutral at #14 and a park factor of 1.040.

Those metrics tell me that BJ is going to a park that really isn't going to play much different than Tropicana Field, While Justin is going to a park that is less friendly to triples and HRs.

Do the Braves have a good OF? Sure. But I think it's foolish to expect a massive increase in power numbers from BJ, and it's reasonable to expect that Justin's power numbers are going to dip by moving from Arizona to Atlanta.

Last edited:
i'm not sure what PFs you are using, but year over year PFs aren't all that illustrative. The point was to compare to what Beej has done offensively to Bourn.

What are you arguing here, Chill? They haven't improved that much from last year?

I like metrics as much as the next guy, but there are certainly some intangibles in play. You could easily argue (I would), that neither Upton has even reached his prime and we should expect an uptick in hitting from them. Maturity at the plate certainly takes years to develop, even with such a high talent level. Also, one would expect them to flourish playing with each other, since well, you know, they are brothers.

Hopefully, Heyward's elite plate discipline returns this year. I certainly think we can get a lot more out of the corners than ZiPS projects.

Their ZIPs projection has them at a .343 wOBA. That would be good for 6th best in baseball for an OF last year. Combine that with what should be a very good defense, and tehy'll absolutely be formidable.

Of course projections are just that, and they tend to do worse with players who've had injuries in the past (the Uptons) or projecting young players breaking out (JUpton/Heyward). I wonder where their projections stack up with the rest of the OFs in baseball.

I like metrics as much as the next guy, but there are certainly some intangibles in play. You could easily argue (I would), that neither Upton has even reached his prime and we should expect an uptick in hitting from them. Maturity at the plate certainly takes years to develop, even with such a high talent level. Also, one would expect them to flourish playing with each other, since well, you know, they are brothers.

projections take in to account age and development. they can't estimate talent and tools which does bode well for these three.

"Schafer is probably having a tough time with his travel," Gonzalez said jokingly. "He's another one I'm going to grab. He only lives two exits up the road and I haven't seen him yet. But maybe he has a five-year deal with [general manager] Frank [Wren] that guarantees he will play center. Frank hasn't told me that Schafer has signed for five years and is guaranteed to get one of the three outfield spots."

When Pastornicky was the odds-on favorite to begin the 2012 season as Atlanta's starting shortstop, he arrived the day the Braves were staging their first full-squad workout. In his defense, he had spent the days leading up to camp working out with Jack Wilson in California.

But Gonzalez certainly has not overlooked the fact this is the second straight year Pastornicky has not been among the team's early arrivals. Pastornicky lives about two hours from the Braves' Spring Training complex.

"I think Pastornicky is going to hold out again this year," Gonzalez said. "I want to see what his excuse is."

"Schafer is probably having a tough time with his travel," Gonzalez said jokingly. "He's another one I'm going to grab. He only lives two exits up the road and I haven't seen him yet. But maybe he has a five-year deal with [general manager] Frank [Wren] that guarantees he will play center. Frank hasn't told me that Schafer has signed for five years and is guaranteed to get one of the three outfield spots."

When Pastornicky was the odds-on favorite to begin the 2012 season as Atlanta's starting shortstop, he arrived the day the Braves were staging their first full-squad workout. In his defense, he had spent the days leading up to camp working out with Jack Wilson in California.

But Gonzalez certainly has not overlooked the fact this is the second straight year Pastornicky has not been among the team's early arrivals. Pastornicky lives about two hours from the Braves' Spring Training complex.

"I think Pastornicky is going to hold out again this year," Gonzalez said. "I want to see what his excuse is."

Good for Gonzalez. Call those guys who are vying for PT out. Seriously

Chipper is in camp! Not for a comeback tho. He's helping out some hitters. DOB said that he had a jacket zipped up all the, hat, and sunglasses while walking to the cage to work w/ freeman to remain anonymous to the fans yelling for Freddie.

Also, Gattis is crushing in BP. JUpton said "that (bleep) is loud"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back