• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 FB RECRUITING MEGATHREAD: Stevenson! 1RB,1DL,1K,2WR,5LB,1QB,5OL,3DB,2TE

2013 ATH Chad Wyrick from Princeton, WV. Kid has great hands and quickness but was sidelined with a broken collarbone. He's attending WF camp this summer and is interested.

Hope he makes a good impression on the coaches. Wake will be back on top soon enough.

With Junior Day coming up, this weekend should be very important in getting our 2013 class started off right. I know it's still early in the game, but hopefully we can get a solid commit or 2 soon to get this next class kicked off.
For anyone who's got access to the happenings this weekend, please share.
Go Deacs.

With Junior Day coming up, this weekend should be very important in getting our 2013 class started off right. I know it's still early in the game, but hopefully we can get a solid commit or 2 soon to get this next class kicked off.
For anyone who's got access to the happenings this weekend, please share.
Go Deacs.

Here is something I don't understand. UNC and State have already had their Junior Days. A lot of the top kids are already talking about these schools, how they want to return, may not visit Wake, etc. Why do we wait to have our day? Given our built-in disadvantages, shouldn't we try to get out in front and have our Junior Day sooner?

Here is something I don't understand. UNC and State have already had their Junior Days. A lot of the top kids are already talking about these schools, how they want to return, may not visit Wake, etc. Why do we wait to have our day? Given our built-in disadvantages, shouldn't we try to get out in front and have our Junior Day sooner?

Makes way too much since. We'd never go for that.

I don't think it matters that much, because kids that shallow aren't Grobes kind of guys anyway. Character is very important to us. The coachs are the ones who sit down and look these kids in the eyes. We have done better with sleepers who have great senior years than juniors who were 4 stars. AJ is our only one now, Bryan Andrews didn't set the world on fire, and CJ Leake got hurt and left.

I don't think it matters that much, because kids that shallow aren't Grobes kind of guys anyway. Character is very important to us. The coachs are the ones who sit down and look these kids in the eyes. We have done better with sleepers who have great senior years than juniors who were 4 stars. AJ is our only one now, Bryan Andrews didn't set the world on fire, and CJ Leake got hurt and left.

I am talking about kids Grobe wants. We need them to step on Wake's campus before they go to State and UNC. We don't need to be fighting uphill recruiting battles.

I am talking about kids Grobe wants. We need them to step on Wake's campus before they go to State and UNC. We don't need to be fighting uphill recruiting battles.

For most of those kids it will always be uphill. I do not know that an earlier time at this point before their Sr year makes much difference. I do think being on kids early helps fairly often, and once you are on them you have stay with them.

Decent article up on rivals talking about a big OL coming to Junior Day (with his mother too) that WF seems pretty interested in. Says a coach or two saw him live several times last season so that sounds promising. 6'4 320 if numbers are right.

My impression of Himebauch is that he's a pretty energetic, motivational guy. It'll be interesting to see if that pays dividends on the recruiting trail with our OL.

You'd think it would. Younger, more energetic guys recruit great for most programs, shouldn't stop at WF. If he can get the younger guys already in the program churning then good things will follow for the O next season.

My impression of Himebauch is that he's a pretty energetic, motivational guy. It'll be interesting to see if that pays dividends on the recruiting trail with our OL.

I think he'll be a major contributor in several ways.........he should help our current OL perform better and he should help bring in more quality players in the recruitment process. He seems like a quality, high energy guy, and his resume includes starting at Southern Cal. This is bound to impress recruits (it impresses me!)

it is my understanding that schools usually have multiple junior days I know UNC has already had two junior days and will likely have a couple of more in conjunction with spring practice/spring game.

I think we can expect to see the in-roads into Texas increase and the Florida pipeline to continue.

In N.C. Wake is going to do what it can but is not going to exert the majority of its effort here.

The staff just completed the most successful recruiting haul of the Grobe era. 16 3 star players many of whom may turn into 4-5 star players (were there a retro-active ranking system)

Sure-fire 4 star recruits in my evaluation: Laronji Vason, Domonique Gibson, Shelldon Lewinson, Jared Crump, Will Smith, Tylor Harris, Tyler Cameron and Ryan Janvion...with several others on the cusp.

Florida will remain the key state in WF recruiting.

I think we can expect to see the in-roads into Texas increase and the Florida pipeline to continue.

In N.C. Wake is going to do what it can but is not going to exert the majority of its effort here.

The staff just completed the most successful recruiting haul of the Grobe era. 16 3 star players many of whom may turn into 4-5 star players (were there a retro-active ranking system)

Sure-fire 4 star recruits in my evaluation: Laronji Vason, Domonique Gibson, Shelldon Lewinson, Jared Crump, Will Smith, Tylor Harris, Tyler Cameron and Ryan Janvion...with several others on the cusp.

Fair enough. I can understand the logic behind it. We will land the WF type kids from NC and/or NC kids that have pulled for Wake for whatever reason, but we won't try to expend too many resources to sway the kids with baby blue on their minds. It must be difficult to swallow many of the QD type situations.

In FL, WF offers something clearly different from the Big 3 in FL. FL kids, for whatever reason, also LOVE the state of NC. Makes sense to allocate your resources down there given the caliber of athletes.

Seems like the road to Texas with this past recruiting class was a one-way street.

Seems like the road to Texas with this past recruiting class was a one-way street.

Well, we did land Wilhite. The Morris switch was painful at the time, but the consensus is that we upgraded by adding Cameron. I think we also missed out of a LB from TX as well.

We need to beat the snot out of UNC this year. This is not really related to this thread, but I felt compelled to post it.

In addition to FL, TX and NC, Georgia is a state that we've also had some success over the years. It's also very fertile territory for football. FWIW, next to TX and FL, Ga has more 4 & 5 star recruits than any other state. There's obviously lots of competition for these guys, just like the other states, but we seem to be able to get a few guys each year. One selling point, GA is a lot closer to Wake than FL and TX.

Back