• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 FB RECRUITING MEGATHREAD: Stevenson! 1RB,1DL,1K,2WR,5LB,1QB,5OL,3DB,2TE

Our last three commits were a poach from Ga St and two (Hauser and Weaver) who had no other offers. I think we were striking out and filled up on warm bodies. I don't think the coaches are expecting any surprises.

Our last three commits were a poach from Ga St and two (Hauser and Weaver) who had no other offers. I think we were striking out and filled up on warm bodies. I don't think the coaches are expecting any surprises.

sadly, I agree.

it is difficult to understand giving out so many scholarships to such lowly or unranked players. like a manic spending spree.

We're not saying "NO" to Miller and Grayson to bring in Hauser and Davis.

Well, how about last year. 2 pros (Looney and Givens) and Bush. 2 or 3 guys like that? Is that what you are talking about?

I got an email from Hoag's blog in which he talks about his signing day experience and I could not help but take a look at that class. Got me going on a lookback. For instance in 2007 we had:

A couple studs: Wilber and Bush (eventually)
Some solid players: Dorty, Quarles, Hoag, Weaver, Yloo (left program), Pendergrass
Some depth players: Cam Ford, Danny Dembry, Gelo Orange
And a whole lot of players who had little to no impact on the field: Will Wright, Kyle Jarrett, John Stamper, Jordan Williams, Uriah Grant (never played), Junior Petit Jean, Ryan Britt, Mike Williams, Skylar Jones

So in that 2007 class we brought in 20 players of 2-3 stars and only 8, counting knothead Yloo, had an impact. Look at 2006 class and the story is even worse. Go forward to 2008 and it is the same. 17 commits. 2 studs (Looney and Givens). Rest were mediocre at best or had downright no impact.

The problem is I see this as being the norm the more I look back at our classes. 2004 Fresh Deacs class was the exception. 19 guys committed. 7 were studs for us! 6 others ended up starting at least one year.

My takeaway is that while we have in-game coaching deficiencies we also have a serious talent deficit. Outside the once in a blue moon exceptional class like the fresh deacs we bring in and develop just enough talent to be competitive, but it really takes the stars aligning for us to expect more.

Yep. And none of that is going to change under the Grobe regime. He's been the coach here for a decade, and it's safe to say the data set has normalized with Grobe. We can expect a 5 win season usually, with occasional bowl games, and occasional 4-win fiascoes.

We should dream bigger. Time to take a damn chance to move up in the world.

Nice work P4nthers11. Parcells would call these players JAGs (Just a Guy). Tex, Wake is different from these other high academic schools. Duke and Vandy have plenty of cupcake courses. Harvard's cheating scandal was a bunch of athletes in one of these courses. I'm surprised we get as many through as we do. We don't graduate as many gym teachers as some of the other schools.

Nice work P4nthers11. Parcells would call these players JAGs (Just a Guy). Tex, Wake is different from these other high academic schools. Duke and Vandy have plenty of cupcake courses. Harvard's cheating scandal was a bunch of athletes in one of these courses. I'm surprised we get as many through as we do. We don't graduate as many gym teachers as some of the other schools.

I'm pretty confident that our academic difficulty isn't what's separating us from the Northwesterns, Vanderbilts, and Dukes of the world. You'll have a hard time convincing me that our Comm major is somehow more difficult than a similar degree at another school. And with the proliferation of academic support staff at every school, you don't really need smart kids. You just want kids that will put in the work (I.e. go to class).

More realistically, I think we lag far behind in facilities. It truly is an arms race these days, and we don't come close to keeping up with even our academic peers.

Wonderful we lost Tetlow to UVA he was going to be a good one.

From the video, he looks like he may be a type of 'TBo' player. 6' 2" 240-250, strong, good blocker.
Andrew Hauser has been asked to bulk up to 280 pounds and move to NG by the coaching staff.

TOB says Rucker and Mack as moved on. So that is a starting S gone and now possibly our best starting ol might be gone.

February 6th is always disappointing as a WFU fan. I am still hating on Quinshad and Jela after last year.

When Tetlow visited Wake and had no offers someone- seems like his father- was on here begging for an offer. Guess he won't be leaving the dance with the one that brung him- now we can go steal someone from Liberty.

With today being the culmination of recruiting, I'm going to unstick this thread. If someone wants to start a new one for 2014, feel free to start it up.

Back