• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 Atlanta Braves Thread: HOF SMOLTZIE!

Hall of Fame pitcher John Smoltz will be featured at the upcoming baseball banquet and fundraiser at WFU!

Braves keep doing stuff that make Yoan Moncada seem like a natural next move, but I know it's probably not going to happen.

Braves sign Wandy Rodriguez to vy for the 5th spot in the rotation.

Based on their recent track record, it's probably a good thing we got a guy who the Phillies disqualified based on his physical.

Sounds like it's going to happen, and it really HAS to happen. No way can the Braves play him in LF next season.

Of course, trading Gattis means the Braves may have the worst offense in the history of baseball next season, but I'm fine with that.

Wake me in 2017.

With Gattis gone, I ask you: who on that roster, other than Freeman, is a legitimate threat to hit more than 10 home runs?

Spoiler: no one

Looks like it's done, and deal is all for prospects. Surprising, since the Astros seemingly have a logjam at CF (Fowler, Springer, Marisnick), and C (Castro, Corporan, Conger).

Astros To Acquire Evan Gattis
By Jeff Todd [January 14, 2015 at 1:43pm CST]
1:49pm: The return includes Michael Foltynewicz and Rio Ruiz, Sherman tweets. Righty Andrew Thurman rounds out the package, per another tweet from Sherman.

The most interesting thing to me is how much confidence the Braves FO seems to have in Christian Bethancourt.

Astros give us #4, #9 and #13 prospects for El oso.

Not bad. Gattis will hit 40+ for 8 years if he can stay healthy in Houston.

Wish we could have somehow unloaded BJ in the deal. Even if it meant sending cash.

We will be scary bad next year (although starting rotation still well above average), but, we have moved a farm system from one that was among 5 worst in baseball, to close to top 10.

lee-corso.png

2:03pm: The deal is not yet complete, caution Sherman (via Twitter) and MLB.com’s Mark Bowman (via Twitter), with the former saying the terms are settled upon pending physical and the latter warning there is still a chance that Gattis could be moved to another club.

Back