• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 Atlanta Braves Thread: HOF SMOLTZIE!

We've got two awesome players with the last name of Simmons. Gattis tweaked his swing ever so slightly and has since gone on a tear. Freddie can't hit worth jack right now & Jason seems to have cooled off. JUp left last night with a hamstring strain.

Who is wood taking the place for?

Speculation is that either Floyd or Harang will be traded for a strong bullpen arm (probably a lefty set-up guy) and that Wood will take that spot in the rotation.

Set up guy seems weird to me. Simmons is dominating & walden should return soon.

Lefty I understand because carpenter & avilan suck right now.

We've won 2 out of 4 against the rockies with a 13-10 win last night....anyone else keeping up?

I went to bed in the middle of the 5th and sent a colleague an email saying I would lose my shit if I woke up to find that we blew a game where we scored 7 in the first and had 10 through 4. Shit losing held off for another day.

Set up guy seems weird to me. Simmons is dominating & walden should return soon.

Lefty I understand because carpenter & avilan suck right now.

I think there is a real concern (and rightfully so) about Walden's durability and whether he can make it through the rest of the season without another DL trip or two. Also, Walden pitched last night and had control issues...imagine he will be fine though.

Going so hard after a top bullpen arm does make me wonder if the Braves have serious doubts about whether Venters can make it back and what kind of picture he will be.

Hitting TLS second would mean lefties back to back up top (and b2b2b if we kept Freeman in 3 spot). Not going to happen.

Would like to see TLS in 6 spot ahead of Johnson though. Incidentally, CJ has heated up vs the Rockies and no longer has the worst WAR in the majors! That 3 year/24 million deal looks better and better!

Supposedly Venters was shut down for 10 days on the 4th bc scar tissue was giving him discomfort while throwing. I wouldnt expect anything from him anytime soon. Crazy that in the span of 2 years we've gone from a deep shutdown bullpen to up and down Kimbrell and a pack of hapless meatballing turd burglars.

Speculation is that either Floyd or Harang will be traded for a strong bullpen arm (probably a lefty set-up guy) and that Wood will take that spot in the rotation.

Why would a team be dumb enough to give us a decent lefty out of the pen for those 2 guys?

Same re: Venters. two TJs typically means you are toast. Could also see Avilan coming back down to earth from a mile away.

Carpenter on other hand, should be fine. Wont be as lights out as he was last year, but his K/9 and BB/9 about where they were last year, as is his FIP and XFIP. He is just having some bad batted ball luck, with a BABP of .413

Big double for stella. Back in business!

jokes on jokes

So the big rumor of the day is that Bethancourtcomes up from Gwinnett, Gattis moves to LF, Justin to RF, JHey to CF and BJ to the bench. What say you Braves fans? Maybe the rumor is why BJ finally got a few hits over the weekend.

Gattis is a huge defensive liability in LF (and behind the plate), but they need to keep shaking things up. Encouraged by the series against the Halos over the weekend. Maybe the bats are finally coming around. Personally, I think I would bring up Costanza and cut Schafer. Give Bethancourt a little more time at AAA.

Oh...and when is Freddie going to move La Stella to 2nd in the order???

Bethancourt will be just as bad as BJ if not worse. I don't think Gattis is a huge defensive liability behind the plate but he definitely is in left.

Its a mistake.

Just roll w/ BJ, he's improving slightly every day.

Back