• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 FB Recruiting Thread: Signing Day is this Wednesday!

I like Smith's video's a lot. I think he has the potential to be a very good BCS qb. I can say this with almost certainty that we will have the best stable of qb's at WFU that we have had since I have been a Wake fan. I think there will be very serious competition between Cameron, Smith, and Wolford this summer. I wish we could have gotten one or both in to early enroll though to give them a better a shot at a fair competition. Because they will be coming in in the summer I think Cameron wins, but I think the following season things are going to get very real and from the looks of things Claw is going to continue to bring in solid qb recruits. It is going to be a very exciting and interesting time to be a Deacon.

I think Smith has a good arm, great vision, great touch, and solid wheels against the competition he has faced.

We had Randolph, Mauk, Skinner and Hodges on the roster one season.

I'm assuming Clawson is gaining commitments from players that qualify. I assume Grobe realized the type of player that Wake will accept and not accept. Hopefully, Grobe was just lazy and not wise about who is admitted and not admitted. Hopefully Ron and Co. informed Clawson of this. It would be disappointing if we are getting recruits saying yes, but they will not be accepted because of grades, etc....

One of Ronski's big points in hiring Coach Claws was that he knew his way around institutions with high academic standards. I am sure he will take a chance now and then on admissions for a special player as he should. A numnber of these later guys had offers from place with the same or more strictures than Wake. Claws knows what he is doing.

I don't think we are done, I wouldn't bet on Gates but I think Tae ThiboDEACS is ours for the taking.

We had Randolph, Mauk, Skinner and Hodges on the roster one season.

I think these kids will have the potential to surpass them. I mean both will be true freshman next year. Cameron a rs sophomore. Who knows who else we bring in with the offers we are putting out there in the next two years. By the time Cameron is a senior we could have a very solid stable assuming no one transfers and as much potential as these kids it could be very likely someone does.

Fair or not, Clawson will have to win early to sustain momentum on the recruiting circuit. A bad losing season will not be helpful. Yet, I suppose, even then if the offense showed the potential to be explosive and the defense played with high energy (just making youthful type mistakes), he might be to bring in some of the higher level recruits he has offered. Given how many red-shirt players we have and the size of this incoming class, it is going to be fascinating to see how he constructs the team.

jamesda, appreciate the enthusiasm but you have a slight tendency to hype up guys based on limited (or non-existent) time on the field. See Ragland, Sherman; Harris, Josh; Price, Tanner

jamesda, appreciate the enthusiasm but you have a slight tendency to hype up guys based on limited (or non-existent) time on the field. See Ragland, Sherman; Harris, Josh; Price, Tanner

Yes I hype guys up based on potential. Everyone who watched J-roc, Tanner, and Sherman could see the potential there, but it is not my fault that their potential was not achieved.

I choose to remain optimistic going into each season until proven otherwise otherwise or I would be waiting on just another miserable season and how much fun would that be.

Last edited:
But you can see the obvious difference in Smith and Wolford in their videos over someone like Radford.

Sherman should have never been played at WR if you ask me. Had the athleticism but couldn't catch or run routes.

Sherman should have never been played at WR if you ask me. Had the athleticism but couldn't catch or run routes.

Sherman made some excellent grabs in the few scrimmages I saw him in and that is what got me excited about him. It never carried over to real game play.

I really want to see this staff pick up a stud rb soon.

Fair or not, Clawson will have to win early to sustain momentum on the recruiting circuit. A bad losing season will not be helpful. Yet, I suppose, even then if the offense showed the potential to be explosive and the defense played with high energy (just making youthful type mistakes), he might be to bring in some of the higher level recruits he has offered. Given how many red-shirt players we have and the size of this incoming class, it is going to be fascinating to see how he constructs the team.

It's pretty clear the defense is going to be way ahead of the offense. They've got the bulk of the experience and talent. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of his defense signees play for depth reasons.

He will get at least a one year grace period. Stoops went 2-10 this year at KY and has a top 20 class. By 2015, he will need to be at least showing some progress to sustain the momentum, but a bad year in 2014 should not have much of an impact on the recruiting trail, especially since early playing time will likely be on of the staff's big selling points.

I'm guessing college coaches all over the country man the phones all day today and into tonight re-confirming all commits and maybe take one last shot at a kid who isn't.

Thinks the lights will burn bright tonight in the football offices ?

Gawd forbid, any danger of us losing a commit last minute ?

GPD -

He will get at least a one year grace period. Stoops went 2-10 this year at KY and has a top 20 class. By 2015, he will need to be at least showing some progress to sustain the momentum, but a bad year in 2014 should not have much of an impact on the recruiting trail, especially since early playing time will likely be on of the staff's big selling points.

I think he needs to get a minimum 5 wins....and put a scare into a Clemson. We appear to be extremely thin all over so any injuries could derail progress. This Spring is obviously critical first in attitude/enthusiasm getting ingrained and then as much playbook/new schemes as possible. I'm assuming the new S&C guy is well underway with getting the returnees in shape so hopefully that will show in the Spring via less big bellies and cabooses.

Gonna be awful tuff but getting an early upset W out in Logan, Utah would definately be a boost.

I'm guessing college coaches all over the country man the phones all day today and into tonight re-confirming all commits and maybe take one last shot at a kid who isn't.

Thinks the lights will burn bright tonight in the football offices ?

Gawd forbid, any danger of us losing a commit last minute ?

Could be wrong, but I think starting yesterday, we are in a dead period where coaches cannot contact recruits (IIRC, recruits can still contact coaches).

Back