• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 FB Recruiting Thread: Signing Day is this Wednesday!

In case anyone was worried about the OK State offer, Wary is planning on signing his WF LOI early tomorrow morning.

Paul Nielsen ‏@NWAPaul
Rogers High LB/S Zack Wary is planning on signing his LOI with Wake Forest at 7 a.m. at father's office and fax it to WF #arpreps

Hope that works out better than the last time we tried to sign a white kid from the Deep South early in the morning...

We have such an eclectic group of O-linemen coming in. Herron is a stud but I don't know what to think about the others. Luedeke is listed at TE size, Terry is a stubby 6'1, Osterhage looks like a blue collar prospect, and this Anderson guy is so under the radar I wouldn't be surprised if he was just another lazy Grobo offer.

We have such an eclectic group of O-linemen coming in. Herron is a stud but I don't know what to think about the others. Luedeke is listed at TE size, Terry is a stubby 6'1, Osterhage looks like a blue collar prospect, and this Anderson guy is so under the radar I wouldn't be surprised if he was just another lazy Grobo offer.

Is there any doubt now just how lazy Grobe & Co. had gotten on the recruiting trail? Pretty astonishing.

None. Go back to the beginning of this thread and see how many people were defending the status quo with that "woe is us" LOWF BS. Hell yeah I shrugged at the crap recruiting Grobe was doing. I hope to God Clawson can elevate our pathetic low expectation fans.

Is there any doubt now just how lazy Grobe & Co. had gotten on the recruiting trail? Pretty astonishing.

Whatever it was, it's not comparable recruiting efforts. We will see how this translates to the field very soon.

We needed some more athletic guys on the OL. None of them will be asked to help the first year. The one that leaves me scratching my head is Anderson. His film has him flattening little defenders, but he is stiff and slow. He has a narrow base and sloppy feet. I bet, if Gates signs, Anderson will be told to gray-shirt. He is the least prepared of our OL commits, and will need the most time to develop.

You never know Yarbary may end up as a guard... Especially if we sign ThiboDEACS which I think we do.

Have we ever had a class this big? Just based on that, I think we'll have to see a lot of these guys play as true frosh.

I assume you're talking about a guy named Thibodeaux, but who exactly is it?

Tae Thibodeaux, Scout rated #82 DT. From ESPN:

Size-Strength-Speed

Thibodeaux is a quick, active run stopper and pass rusher with minimum height for the defensive tackle position at the major level of play; flashes good playing strength when taking on blockers however there is the need to add bulk to his frame; a growth spurt would help. This prospect displays very good mobility and short area quickness; moves through traffic, demonstrating both the ability to change direction and make plays in tight spaces, while showing very good range to the sideline.

Versus the Run

Is quick off the mark, flashing the hand technique needed to keep blockers off his pads; doesn't stay blocked, demonstrating the ability to play low, keep his feet free and disengage from blockers; reads schemes quickly while demonstrating the ability to play down the line with very good range to the sideline. Despite lacking great size, this prospect can set the edge, play stout vs. the double team and at the point.

Pass Rush Skills

His quick first step puts him in position to beat pass blockers with a very effective arm over move; although there is the need to expand his repertoire of moves, his active feet, change of direction quickness along with a burst to the quarterback are impressive.

Toughness/Motor

We see a very aggressive, active football player who is relentless pursuing the football; is a wrap tackler capable of punishing ball carriers.

Bottom Line

Thibodeaux is a technique sound football player who will benefit from a growth spurt. With added bulk and improved playing strength the potential for upside is there; some time and most likely a red shirt year will enhance his future at the next level of competition.

Have we ever had a class this big? Just based on that, I think we'll have to see a lot of these guys play as true frosh.

Given what Clawson said about preferring to redshirt most of his first year players, and looking at write ups like the one for Thibodeaux that suggest "would benefit from a redshirt year" I would look for about 20 of the 27+ new faces available to redshirt. I would think the two already enrolled would play in the fall, and some more at critical positions, but not many.

Clawson knows that this season for sure he gets a pass on the wins and losses, as long as it looks like the team is playing OK. There are a lot of RS freshmen (22, I think) and true Sophs (11) and RS sophs on the roster. A number of these were reasonably well thought of, but said to need a year. I think that group plays before shirts get burned unless there are guys who just stand out and get playing time because they are just better than others at their position. Look at the roster as now listed on the official web site, add about 6-8 names and that is who I think will get the playing time in the fall of 2014.

If we win the hat ceremony tomorrow with Gates, Clawson will be off the charts for me. (He's close to being there already.)

The only hat ceremony for football that I recall winning was CJ Leak. I'm sure there have been others, I just can't remember them.

#ClawsIn

From the head of Indiana's 247 site:
If I were a betting man, I would say Ole Miss here, but IU wouldn't surprise me. Wake Forest would surprise me a little, even though he took an official there this past weekend that he said went well. Adding Knorr, who recruited Gates to Wake Forest before coming to IU, is a big advantage for IU here. Ole Miss will just be tough to beat, as he's been committed there for nearly a year and still has a good relationship there.

Not sure I agree with the bold part. While Knorr was a decent DC for Wake, he was part of an unmotivated and underachieving staff in regards to recruiting. I think getting Gates on Wake's campus with the new staff is a huge advantage for Wake. Also, Wake just took a recruit away from Indiana earlier in the day as well.

Last edited:
What do you expect the Hoosiers' version of Deman to say?

The CJ Leak stuff was awesome. I was waiting outside of Cameron all day for that night's game with Maryland back when those games were HUGE. I went back to check the boards to see what happened with Leak to see he chose our hat over Notre Dame.

I'm assuming Clawson is gaining commitments from players that qualify. I assume Grobe realized the type of player that Wake will accept and not accept. Hopefully, Grobe was just lazy and not wise about who is admitted and not admitted. Hopefully Ron and Co. informed Clawson of this. It would be disappointing if we are getting recruits saying yes, but they will not be accepted because of grades, etc....

I'm assuming Clawson is gaining commitments from players that qualify. I assume Grobe realized the type of player that Wake will accept and not accept. Hopefully, Grobe was just lazy and not wise about who is admitted and not admitted. Hopefully Ron and Co. informed Clawson of this. It would be disappointing if we are getting recruits saying yes, but they will not be accepted because of grades, etc....

Not a valid concern.

I think that some people may not realize what they have in Travis Smith. This kid has never lost for a reason. He can flat out play. On top of that this kid works harder than anybody. He prepares to win and expects to win. I have been around football a long time and seen many players that have gone on to play division one qb. None of them had the total package like Travis Smith. Decision making, arm strength, accuracy, mobility. I would be surprised if he is not the starter by week three.

Most highlight films can make an average player look like a champion. This highlight video has to leave out 108 touchdowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXd2jcKKrtw

I like Smith's video's a lot. I think he has the potential to be a very good BCS qb. I can say this with almost certainty that we will have the best stable of qb's at WFU that we have had since I have been a Wake fan. I think there will be very serious competition between Cameron, Smith, and Wolford this summer. I wish we could have gotten one or both in to early enroll though to give them a better a shot at a fair competition. Because they will be coming in in the summer I think Cameron wins, but I think the following season things are going to get very real and from the looks of things Claw is going to continue to bring in solid qb recruits. It is going to be a very exciting and interesting time to be a Deacon.

I think Smith has a good arm, great vision, great touch, and solid wheels against the competition he has faced.

edit: Just rewatched the video. The kid already has better arm strength and accuracy on the run then Tanner did I love it. I didn't see much in the way of down field arm strength. I love his pocket presence.

Last edited:
Back