• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 MLS Thread

I was wondering this today: Why does MLS have a SuperDraft as opposed to a normal, run of the mill draft? Is there something different about it?
#important

I was wondering this today: Why does MLS have a SuperDraft as opposed to a normal, run of the mill draft? Is there something different about it?
#important

Before the SuperDraft began, there were separate college and supplemental drafts. So I think they gave it that name to signify that is was one combined effort now.

We got money for him when the MLS sold him so I do not think we have the rights to him anyways. We used some of the money from his sale to install grass at BMO Field.

Correct, he is not tied to any MLS team. If someone wants to pay him DP money, they can grab him whenever they want. Otherwise it goes to the allocation order, where DC has first dibs.

We got money for him when the MLS sold him so I do not think we have the rights to him anyways. We used some of the money from his sale to install grass at BMO Field.
I don't know why I was thinking he left when his contract expired. I forgot how much Toronto made off that sale. Nice piece of business.

Correct, he is not tied to any MLS team. If someone wants to pay him DP money, they can grab him whenever they want. Otherwise it goes to the allocation order, where DC has first dibs.

There's about a 0% chance he comes back without a DP contract. He'll have to take a pay cut to come back, but a non-DP contract would be something like a 1/3 of his current wages.

Has he even played a match since leaving rangers? I just don't see how he helps as a dp on a MLS team

Has he even played a match since leaving rangers? I just don't see how he helps as a dp on a MLS team

He was on loan at Bursaspor last spring. They qualified for UEFA Cup. He was rumored to have had a number of offers from some decent European sides, he's just on too much money for most teams to take him on. That Stoke move was terrible for him, apart from the boatloads of money he packed away. He's either going to go back on loan or come back to MLS.

DC sends Ethan White and the #1 allocation spot to Philly for Jeff Parke and the #6 allocation spot.

I have no idea WTF DC is thinking with this move. All that for Jeff Parke?

I'm always amazed the MLS SuperDraft is so soon after the "combine." I suspect that teams just don't care very much about the combine, but it's kind of crazy to go watch all these kids and then make evaluations/decisions in like 2 days.

DC sends Ethan White and the #1 allocation spot to Philly for Jeff Parke and the #6 allocation spot.

I have no idea WTF DC is thinking with this move. All that for Jeff Parke?

Not a terrible move really. If they don't have a need for White, they just saved his $91K and picked up Parke at $216K. A fairly good starting CB for $125K isn't bad, though I suppose it all depends on what player they might miss with the allocation spot.

Philly clears enough cap room to add Edu on a DP contract.

Ugh, MLS needs to stop adding caveats to every ruling they make.

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider1m
IF Edu returns, he WOULD go thru allocation but as DP. Why? MLS hq not involved in transfer. Thus, not special case like CD & MB. It's MLS.

Not a terrible move really. If they don't have a need for White, they just saved his $91K and picked up Parke at $216K. A fairly good starting CB for $125K isn't bad, though I suppose it all depends on what player they might miss with the allocation spot.

Philly clears enough cap room to add Edu on a DP contract.

If it was just the players straight up, it wouldn't be terrible, although I'd still be upset about trading a cheap 23 year old for an expensive and injury prone 32 year old. Swapping the allocation spots for no apparent reason is far more objectionable. Even if we didn't plan on using it, get more for the spot than Jeff Parke. Hell, get Philly's #2 or #6 pick in the draft and it's probably worthwhile.

Apparently Philly and Edu has worked something out, but MLS didn't want them paying him $1.2M, so they're nixing the deal. Kinda fucked up considering the league paid the transfer for Dempsey and Bradley.

Apparently Philly and Edu has worked something out, but MLS didn't want them paying him $1.2M, so they're nixing the deal. Kinda fucked up considering the league paid the transfer for Dempsey and Bradley.

Eh, MLS makes up rules as they go. I'm sure they'll create a "quasi-DP" spot and fit Edu in.

I know someone who was ranting about how MLS just wants NY, LA, Seattle, and Toronto to be the best in the league, blah blah blah. He of course threw a fit when he heard that MLS turned down a deal for one of the "non-teams", conveniently forgetting the last time MLS did this, Toronto was the team being refused a player.

Back