• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Basketball Coaching Carousel (Bo Ryan to retire in 2016)

Yeah but one of those reasons is that they can get Shaka to the $4M range.

There's nothing scary about any coach taking the UNC or Duke jobs. Those programs are already elite, so the best any coach will do is continue what those programs already are.

WFR, I'm not scared of whoever Dick hires to replace Coach Relationships. They're gonna stick with family, and whichever choice they make, it'll be underwhelming.

But UNC is interesting for 2 reasons - Doh! and possible sanctions. Let's say they get 2 years of probation. I think Roy sticks it out to get them through that probation period and then retires so they're in good shape to make a good hire because they're coming off sanctions. After their monumental mistake with Doh!, they're not going make the same mistake twice by insisting on sticking with family if there's not a really good family choice. And right now, there isn't a good family choice, and it's not like there will be 2-3 years down the road. Shaka taking Tejas takes him out of the equation. So who is the next big name who would be the obvious choice? Unless Brad Stevens wants to return to college or Donovan leaves Fla for UNC, I don't see another big and obvious name out there other than Marshall. Don't get me wrong, I'm praying that UNC effs up the next hire and doesn't look at Marshall. But I'm thinking they're not going to screw it up, and Marshall will be the obvious choice if even bigger names like Stevens and Donovan aren't available.

WFR, I'm not scared of whoever Dick hires to replace Coach Relationships. They're gonna stick with family, and whichever choice they make, it'll be underwhelming.

But UNC is interesting for 2 reasons - Doh! and possible sanctions. Let's say they get 2 years of probation. I think Roy sticks it out to get them through that probation period and then retires so they're in good shape to make a good hire because they're coming off sanctions. After their monumental mistake with Doh!, they're not going make the same mistake twice by insisting on sticking with family if there's not a really good family choice. And right now, there isn't a good family choice, and it's not like there will be 2-3 years down the road. Shaka taking Tejas takes him out of the equation. So who is the next big name who would be the obvious choice? Unless Brad Stevens wants to return to college or Donovan leaves Fla for UNC, I don't see another big and obvious name out there other than Marshall. Don't get me wrong, I'm praying that UNC effs up the next hire and doesn't look at Marshall. But I'm thinking they're not going to screw it up, and Marshall will be the obvious choice if even bigger names like Stevens and Donovan aren't available.

It doesn't matter. Even if they screw up the hire, the best you're going to get is a few years of a down cycle before they replace a failed coach with someone else that can get the job done.

Also, Marshall is a very good coach. If we could have gotten him last year, I would have been extremely pleased. But it remains to be seen if he can recruit at the level UNC would want or if he could avoid alienating UNC's powerful boosters with his attitude.

Typical cville assuming too much. None of his assistants have proven themselves as a HC (besides Brey who I can't see taking over for K), so I don't see why they unquestionably would keep it in the K family

Florida gave Billy Donovan an extension. The new deal will take him through the 2020 season and pay him an average of $4 million per year.

So yeah, that guy was really unhappy there.

Typical cville assuming too much. None of his assistants have proven themselves as a HC (besides Brey who I can't see taking over for K), so I don't see why they unquestionably would keep it in the K family

Yea I don't see them keeping it in house. They will go with whoever the best coach they can get is. And they will get a new one. His hate for Duke and refusal to call their coach by his name or the school by it's name is hilarious as well. Shows no bias.

Yea I don't see them keeping it in house. They will go with whoever the best coach they can get is. And they will get a new one. His hate for Duke and refusal to call their coach by his name or the school by it's name is hilarious as well. Shows no bias.

cville has a nickname for everything and everyone and it's usually at least somewhat snide.

Maybe so. But I do get the sense they'd prefer family. And they have some interesting choices. We'll see how Wojo does the next few years at Marquette. Dawkins has done aight at Stanford. And Hurley has done a great job the last couple of years at Buffalo. And maybe whichever guy does great there. But I'm less concerned about that list than names like Shaka, Stevens and Marshall. By contrast, UNC has no viable family choices and will have to search outside the family.

cville has a nickname for everything and everyone and it's usually at least somewhat snide.

Not everything, but a lot of things, and with the folks I don't care for, they're definitely snide. Relationships and Dick are at the top of that list. And thanks for using the lower case "c".;)

Maybe so. But I do get the sense they'd prefer family. And they have some interesting choices. We'll see how Wojo does the next few years at Marquette. Dawkins has done aight at Stanford. And Hurley has done a great job the last couple of years at Buffalo. And maybe whichever guy does great there. But I'm less concerned about that list than names like Shaka, Stevens and Marshall. By contrast, UNC has no viable family choices and will have to search outside the family.

Hard to imagine that K isn't going to name his successor, which is why it will probably end up being a former Duke assistant or player.

After Guthridge plus potential NCAA penalties, I don't think Roy gets that luxury.

Jerod Haase, maybe? Asst to Roy at both Kansas and UNC, currently the HC at UAB.

Yeah, no. Not really even close.

Marshall is a huge dickhead, but he fucking boat races every league he's in and his teams are good every goddamn year. Shaka has never shown that kind of consistency.

Agreed

Florida gave Billy Donovan an extension. The new deal will take him through the 2020 season and pay him an average of $4 million per year.

So yeah, that guy was really unhappy there.

His buyout is $500,000 still and it sounds like he really wants to bolt to the NBA this offseason if possible. Link

Marshall getting Winthrop University an 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament and winning a game (and almost pulling a 15-2 upset the year before) may trump anything he's done at Wichita. That's the thing with him, he's delivered a ridiculous level of success at two schools that are completely different and in completely different areas of the country.

Not really that huge of a knock on Shaka to say he's not up to Marshall's caliber. Few are

he's also like 15 years his junior, so hard to show the consistency when you've only been coaching for a few years.

im not trying to knock Marshall down, but if I'm an AD I pull out all the stops to hire Smart before I even make an offer to Marshall.

You mean like RW did?......:D

Reports here in richmond that texas ad landing in next hour or 2 to meet with shaka. Vcu fans have the flighttrackers going like we did last year

@GoodmanESPN
VCU coach Shaka Smart has an 8 pm team meeting scheduled, sources told ESPN.

@WesFoxSports910: Hmmmmmm“@michaelpRTD: Apparently Shaka Smart has postponed the team meeting.”

Back