• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

His write ups were fun and original and generated interest for Wake football for a few years. After a while they all turned in to threads filled with back and forth personal insults. I still don't see how you could read them and not think he had quite a bit of knowledge about NC high school football even if he completely overhyped every one of our prospects.

His write ups were fun and original and generated interest for Wake football for a few years. After a while they all turned in to threads filled with back and forth personal insults. I still don't see how you could read them and not think he had quite a bit of knowledge about NC high school football even if he completely overhyped every one of our prospects.

Lectro is his own worst enemy with aggressive, profanity laced tirades against anyone who even mildly disagreed with him. It's too bad, because as hyperbolic as they were, they were fun to read and usually contained a little true information that you couldn't find elsewhere. If he would've laid off the personal attacks, we could have just taken his posts with a grain of salt and given him a pass. Somewhat like we do with Moonz on the opposite end of the spectrum with his unrelenting tirade against Manning.

Oh and Lectro fucking sucks. He only became a Wake fan after he was pretty much told to fuck off by the UNC AD for being such a fucking creeper.

Oh and Lectro fucking sucks. He only became a Wake fan after he was pretty much told to fuck off by the UNC AD for being such a fucking creeper.

Which may be what is happening from the new staff. Notice the lack of "true weights" from Lectro.

Since I started following recruiting for the 2015 class, my intention has been to evaluate it using a variety of metrics. Now that things have slowed down on the recruiting front, I have invested a little bit of time to start developing those metrics. To that end, I built a spreadsheet to help evaluate this class relative to previous Wake Forest recruiting classes dating back to 2010.

First, a quick disclaimer: some of these metrics will give the impression that I think that recruiting is scientific. I know it is not. I know that some 2-star players turn out to be better that some 5-star players. I know, I know. But I think that recruiting is an important element, and I am eager to find different angles to evaluate the recruiting results in isolation. For that same reason, I have not adjusted the classes for players that have subsequently left the program. Even those that never enrolled like Vason, Byrd, Barbour and Uter were included in the data.

The most relevant metric is a points system that I developed that considers three factors: Rivals star rating, number of offers from Power 5 conference programs, and whether Rivals ranked the recruit nationally at their position. Unless someone is really interested, I won’t put my entire points table in this post, but here are some examples:
2-star player with no other Power 5 conference offers = 0 points
2-star player with 3 or more other Power 5 offers = 3 points
3-star player with no other Power 5 offers = 3 points
3-star player with 3 or more other Power 5 offers = 5 points
3-star player with 3 or more other Power 5 offers AND rated nationally at their position by Rivals = 7 points

Here are the average points per recruit for each class:
2010: 4.4
2011: 4.4
2012: 3.7
2013: 3.1
2014: 2.3 (Grobe recruits)
2014: 3.5 (Clawson recruits)
2015: 3.7

Here is the average # of offers that recruits in each class had from other Power 5 conference schools:
2010: 3.9
2011: 2.8
2012: 2.2
2013: 0.9 (!!)
2014: 2.1 (Grobe recruits)
2014: 3.2 (Clawson recruits)
2015: 2.9

Here are the recruits between 2010 and 2015 that had the most offers from other Power 5 conference schools:
Rashawn Shaw: 18 offers (2014 – Clawson recruit)
Ziggy Allen: 11 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
Bud Noel: 11 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
AJ Marshall: 11 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
Tyler Cameron: 11 offers (2012 – Grobe recruit)
Dionte Austin: 11 offers (2015 – Clawson recruit)
Desmond Floyd: 8 offers (2011 – Grobe recruit)
Ryan Janvion: 8 offers (2012 – Grobe recruit)
Des Cooper: 7 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
Antonio Ford: 7 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
Kevin Sousa: 7 offers (2011 – Grobe recruit)
Kam Uter: 7 offers (2014 – Clawson recruit)
Jake Bargas : 7 offers (2015 – Clawson recruit)
Jaboree Williams: 6 offers (2014 - Grobe recruit)
Steven Claude: 6 offers (2015 - Clawson recruit)

Initial Observations
These metrics show what most people posting on this thread already knew, that recruiting under Grobe had been declining steadily as the won-loss record worsened and the Orange Bowl season got smaller in the rearview mirror. 2013 was the worst year (when recruits averaged less than 1 other Power 5 offer!!) and 2014 had been headed the same general direction until the coaching change. Under Clawson, the metrics were immediately restored to 2011/2012 levels, but have yet to get back to where recruiting was in 2010. Another interesting note is that even though Clawson has had a full year for the 2015 class, the metrics for this class are generally in line with the January commitments that he got for the 2014 class.

It is also interesting that of the 15 most-offered recruits in the past 6 years, Clawson has 5 of them. If you exclude the 2010 class, then Clawson has 5 of the top 10 from the past five years.

I hope that some of you find this info useful. The next thing that I plan to do is use these same metrics to compare Wake’s 2015 class to date to ACC peers such as Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Syracuse and Boston College.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the hard work, 94. We'll never have two guys turn down F$U for us again, like Bud and Ziggy did.

A couple of other facts that I found interesting from the spreadsheet that I put together:

Of the 40 3-star recruits that signed LOIs in the 2010-2012 classes, 11 (or 28%) are no longer with the team and did not complete their eligibility. This includes players that never enrolled, medical hardships, players that were dismissed, and some that simply chose to leave. In addition, there are already five 3-stars from the '13/'14 classes that are not with the team (including Uter and Barbour).

Of the 92 players recruited for the 2011-2015 classes, 57% had either 0 or 1 other Power 5 conference offers. So far, the 2015 class is generally in line with that measure at 50%.

Since I started following recruiting for the 2015 class, my intention has been to evaluate it using a variety of metrics. Now that things have slowed down on the recruiting front, I have invested a little bit of time to start developing those metrics. To that end, I built a spreadsheet to help evaluate this class relative to previous Wake Forest recruiting classes dating back to 2010.

First, a quick disclaimer: some of these metrics will give the impression that I think that recruiting is scientific. I know it is not. I know that some 2-star players turn out to be better that some 5-star players. I know, I know. But I think that recruiting is an important element, and I am eager to find different angles to evaluate the recruiting results in isolation. For that same reason, I have not adjusted the classes for players that have subsequently left the program. Even those that never enrolled like Vason, Byrd, Barbour and Uter were included in the data.

The most relevant metric is a points system that I developed that considers three factors: Rivals star rating, number of offers from Power 5 conference programs, and whether Rivals ranked the recruit nationally at their position. Unless someone is really interested, I won’t put my entire points table in this post, but here are some examples:
2-star player with no other Power 5 conference offers = 0 points
2-star player with 3 or more other Power 5 offers = 3 points
3-star player with no other Power 5 offers = 3 points
3-star player with 3 or more other Power 5 offers = 5 points
3-star player with 3 or more other Power 5 offers AND rated nationally at their position by Rivals = 7 points

Here are the average points per recruit for each class:
2010: 4.4
2011: 4.4
2012: 3.7
2013: 3.1
2014: 2.3 (Grobe recruits)
2014: 3.5 (Clawson recruits)
2015: 3.7

Here is the average # of offers that recruits in each class had from other Power 5 conference schools:
2010: 3.9
2011: 2.8
2012: 2.2
2013: 0.9 (!!)
2014: 2.1 (Grobe recruits)
2014: 3.2 (Clawson recruits)
2015: 2.9

Here are the recruits between 2010 and 2015 that had the most offers from other Power 5 conference schools:
Rashawn Shaw: 18 offers (2014 – Clawson recruit)
Ziggy Allen: 11 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
Bud Noel: 11 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
AJ Marshall: 11 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
Tyler Cameron: 11 offers (2012 – Grobe recruit)
Dionte Austin: 11 offers (2015 – Clawson recruit)
Desmond Floyd: 8 offers (2011 – Grobe recruit)
Ryan Janvion: 8 offers (2012 – Grobe recruit)
Des Cooper: 7 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
Antonio Ford: 7 offers (2010 – Grobe recruit)
Kevin Sousa: 7 offers (2011 – Grobe recruit)
Kam Uter: 7 offers (2014 – Clawson recruit)
Jake Bargas : 7 offers (2015 – Clawson recruit)
Jaboree Williams: 6 offers (2014 - Grobe recruit)
Steven Claude: 6 offers (2015 - Clawson recruit)

Initial Observations
These metrics show what most people posting on this thread already knew, that recruiting under Grobe had been declining steadily as the won-loss record worsened and the Orange Bowl season got smaller in the rearview mirror. 2013 was the worst year (when recruits averaged less than 1 other Power 5 offer!!) and 2014 had been headed the same general direction until the coaching change. Under Clawson, the metrics were immediately restored to 2011/2012 levels, but have yet to get back to where recruiting was in 2010. Another interesting note is that even though Clawson has had a full year for the 2015 class, the metrics for this class are generally in line with the January commitments that he got for the 2014 class.

It is also interesting that of the 15 most-offered recruits in the past 6 years, Clawson has 5 of them. If you exclude the 2010 class, then Clawson has 5 of the top 10 from the past five years.

I hope that some of you find this info useful. The next thing that I plan to do is use these same metrics to compare Wake’s 2015 class to date to ACC peers such as Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Syracuse and Boston College.

This analysis is all very interesting, however it lacks Lectro's je ne sais quoi.

The "Sleepers"

Since the 3 “sleepers” committed, I have been reflecting on the potential reasons that such under-the-radar players were given committable offers this early in the year. I won’t hide the fact that I was initially disappointed with the commits because I am eager for a class that scores higher from a metrics perspective. However, after thinking about it further I feel differently. Here are some possible explanations for these commitments that I considered:

#1: Could the staff simply be panicking?

This was my first guess, but after considering it further I really don’t think this is likely. First, the staff has unprecedented support from alumni and donors. Second, it was only June when the offers were extended. How/why would the staff be panicking more than 7 months from signing day? These must be players that have been evaluated and ranked ahead of more known, established prospects.

#2: Could the staff be showing a preference for guys that attend the Clawson camp over more established guys that don’t attend?

I have no idea to what extent this factored into the recent commits. I will say that it used to drive me nuts that so many Grobe commits came from the summer camps. My impression was that choosing recruits from only the pool of summer camp participants means limiting yourself to a very small pool of potential recruits. However, there is no denying that coaches can more accurately assess a recruit when they see him in person and work them out side-by-side with other prospects that they might be considering.

There are also some things that we don’t have visibility into, like how good was the overall quality of the players drawn to the camps this year versus what Grobe was able to draw? Also, to attract quality recruits to your future camps do you need to be able to demonstrate that you gave a certain number of offers to camp participants in previous years? These are questions that I can’t answer from where I sit.

#3: What other reasons could there be?

To answer this I would look at what the 3 sleeper recruits have in common: they are solid to spectacular combine performers (by this I mean off-field measurables such height, weight, speed, shuttle drills, vertical jumps etc – sometimes referred to as “workout warriors” or “underwear Olympians”). So the staff might simply LOVE the combine guys. There are reasons to be skeptical. First, selling a lesser-known football recruit to a fan base based on combine numbers feels somewhat like selling basketball recruits as “gym rats”. We know how those end up. Second, I think that a lot of us that pay close attention to the NFL Draft are cautious of these type of players. For example, how many times have we seen the Raiders chase these type of players only to end up with spectacular, costly busts? The first rule of the NFL Draft has become “don’t fall in love with the combine guys” (which is closely followed by the 2nd rule, which is also “don’t fall in love with the combine guys”). However, this situation is different from selecting a first round pick in the NFL draft because you are only spending one of 85 scholarships. A team can withstand a few busts. Which brings me to the most likely reason for the 3 sleepers:

I think the staff might be making a concerted effort to get this team bigger, faster and more athletic starting immediately. There have been some quotes to that effect from Clawson, not necessarily related to recruiting. If that means that some gambles need to be taken on high-upside, but under-the-radar guys than perhaps the staff’s perspective is “so be it”. Recruiting rankings be damned. Maybe the staff has a certain number of scholarships allocated to take a few home-run swings at high-upside, risk/reward prospects.

Either way, I don’t think there is any denying that many of us are tired of the Deacs looking like the JV team lining up against the varsity team when we play certain ACC opponents. It is tough to play teams that are 20 pounds heavier, 2 inches taller, and three steps faster at every position. So perhaps this is an effort to end that.

Like some others posters have indicated, I want Phil Haynes in this class. Maybe I have been persuaded by the reviews that he has received from basketball writers, especially those that have suggested that we might have a hard time keeping him committed to football versus basketball. But the upside seems very high given his height, weight and athleticism, and downside limited to one scholarship.

Personally, I also like the Christian Matthew commit a lot. Maybe I have put the rose-colored glasses on. You can make up your own minds. He was named to a combine all-star team at a Miami Nike Camp (4.67 40, 4.50 Shuttle and 38-inch vertical). He also brings an attribute that is in HIGH demand right now across the recruiting landscape – height in the defensive secondary. The staff will simply not get those combine numbers, and that height from a more-established recruit. They are not available. But if they can develop Matthew, especially by adding weight, the upside is a 6’2.5 safety with long arms, good hands, man coverage skills and a 38-inch vertical. He also seems pretty physical. If you haven’t watched his Hudl highlights, I would really encourage you to do so and post your input. I would really like to hear it. His highlights are here: highlights. I think he is a gamble worth taking.

Ultimately, it will be a few years (at best) to tell if these gambles pay off. I do think that it is getting harder and harder to find true sleepers in the recruiting world. There is too much data and visibility. From Hudl to structured combines with widely-available results, increasingly everyone has the same information. So for example, every other program knows exactly what Christian Matthew scored at the Nike combine. And I am still leery of coaches that claim “oh, [insert impressive sounding top 15 program that showed no visible sign of offering] was really talking to this guy” - how many times have we heard that at recruiting luncheons for the past 5 years? What I can tell you is that I am not that discouraged by these commits.

Last edited:
Good take on things 94, and I particularly like your skepticism of the "under the radar" guys. It's fine to have a couple, but you can't build a winning program on them.

Yeah, great take. I think taking commitments from "sleepers" at this point indicates that the coaching staff was really sold on them. If these were added to the class in Jan, then maybe it was panicking or settling.

I worry about using scholarships this early that higher ranked recruits might use, but I guess it comes down to trusting the coaching staff, which I do. Of course, I trusted Grobe for yrs after the ACC championship, but that trust eroded over the last few yrs of his tenure.

Another great write-up 94. DD92, I like your line about trusting the staff, but these sleepers could be stars come December. We need to look at what holes the roster will have in 2015. RB, and DL is the look for now. A scholly to a longsnapper still bothers me, every TE should be taught how to longsnap. I also think that every QB should learn how to punt. If we quick kicked on a 3rd and mile once, the rest of the year our opponent would have to consider it.

94. . .love the metrics, but I am curious why you are using the Scout numbers instead of the 247 Comprehensive?

Back