• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Josh Jones will announce his decision on Saturday at 5pm. Since he is deciding before he was able to visit Wake Forest, I am assuming that we have been eliminated. The plan had been to told off on a commitment until he was able to take his official visits. It looks like those plans have changed.

We spent a good amount of time recruiting in Texas, and there is a chance that all we have to show for it is 1 unofficial visit and zero commitments. I don't put the blame on the coaches. I blame it on the accelerated recruiting process where kids feel like they have to commit before they can take official visits.

Interview (free) with safety Dior Johnson confirms what a Scout writer tweeted several days ago - that Wake Forest leads.

link

Josh Jones will announce his decision on Saturday at 5pm. Since he is deciding before he was able to visit Wake Forest, I am assuming that we have been eliminated. The plan had been to told off on a commitment until he was able to take his official visits. It looks like those plans have changed.

We spent a good amount of time recruiting in Texas, and there is a chance that all we have to show for it is 1 unofficial visit and zero commitments. I don't put the blame on the coaches. I blame it on the accelerated recruiting process where kids feel like they have to commit before they can take official visits.
this has been discussed before... if this trend continues, does this mean WF might focus more of their efforts on recruits a little closer in?

this has been discussed before... if this trend continues, does this mean WF might focus more of their efforts on recruits a little closer in?

I imagine there will be a slight adjustment in how much time and effort is allocated to certain states. Then it will be adjusted again if/when the NCAA begins to allow official visits in the summer.

I wouldn't expect any changes for the 2016 class to be dramatic though. Here's why. We have landed 4 recruits in the Top 500 players according to Rank By Offers. None of those 4 players live within 5 hours drive of Winston-Salem. 3 of the 4 live more than 10 hours from campus.

Why offer a kid who has already committed to UNC? If he is interested in WF, why not offer before now?

Why not an earlier offer? From my experience in watching recruiting is that maybe someone mentioned to the Wake staff that the kid wanted to be recruited by Wake. Maybe his parents wanted him to go to Wake and they called the staff or had someone contact the staff about their desires? Before the staff may have thought that they had no chance. That scenario happened with a child of a friend of mine years ago. Things happen during recruiting that is not otherwise apparent. Just my smell here.

Yep. Maybe he committed to UNC becausee Wake hadn't offered. Maybe he came to a camp or a coach visited his coach or whatever.

The author of the Bargas piece dismisses social media too easily. Rivals doesn't have an official tally of commits. In 2007, they interviewed players, coaches, family members, handlers, and sources from inside programs to confirm offers. In 2014, they do that and follow Twitter. There's much more information now. The official letter rule probably plays a role in all this but he shouldn't discount that it is much easier to get info straight from players.

On a different note, remember 4 or 5 years ago when it looked like Scout and maybe other sites were hiring hot college girls to do recruiting interviews and reports? Did that stop? If so, was it because of the rise of Twitter?

Lol yeah I remember the Wake site had that one junior girl or whatever who used to write up stories. I was a Comm double major for a bit and never once saw her. I think she was a fake person.

Another way to look at the Sweat offer is, that another shoe will drop about the academoc scandel and some of their commits might be back on the market.

My guess is that the William Sweet offer is NOT new. Remember that official offer letters could not be sent to recruits until LAST WEEK, and some recruits are tweeting pics of the official letters as they receive them. I am guessing that we sent out over 100 letters to Rivals250 and other high-end players that we had previously extended verbal offers to, whether they were verbally committed to another school at this point or not.

I'm willing to call this a horseshoes moment with that list.

For those of you attending today's scrimmage, keep an eye out for Nathan Gilliam, Marcus Marshall and Wake commit Amari Henderson. I've seen some Twitter noise that all 3 will be on campus today. I assume that means the scrimmage as well. If Gilliam is at Wake that is significant because it likely means we are getting the last visit before he decides. It would be his 3rd or 4th visit to Wake Forest. South Carolina is the slight favorite in my estimation.

ESPN Magazine gave FSU a 99.6% chance of beating The Citadel and a 99.7% chance of beating Wake...

Back