• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Sometimes it is hard to judge who will make an impact. Brandon Chubb was a late ASU flip as a 2 Star and now he is a key player and one of the few contributors remaining in his entire recruiting class.

I know we're done with QBs, but I wonder what Michigan commit Alex Malzone does. Wake was on him pretty hard before he went with Michigan, and Harbaugh just flipped Texas commit Zach Gentry.

Elontae Bateman...not an exciting commit; but, like others have said, it's always good to have DL depth. Memphis Ridgeway produces athletes year after year; and, coming out of the Memphis area you know this kid is going to be tough. Come on Quarvez...Go Deacs!!

Two Crystal Balls today for Sihiem King to Wake!!! This is a guy that I could get excited about!

No Crystal Ball movement for Marcus Marshall. If this was a lay up for GT I think 247 writers would be piling on trying to "pad their stats".

I think we hold on to Autry. He was talking about going juco but has been recruiting to Wake on Twitter recently

I feel like we've come down to Earth after the high of last year's end of the recruiting season. This one feels like one of Grobe's. Hate to say it, but just the kind of vibes I'm getting from de-commitments, guys possibly not qualifying, and late offers to players with scant offer sheets.

Boo Robinson was a 1 star rivals with Arky State offers. Let's get this young man lifting and eating. See what happens.

Boo Robinson was a 1 star rivals with Arky State offers. Let's get this young man lifting and eating. See what happens.

3 star on 247 and 247 is pretty high on this guy's potential. Sounds good to me.

WF's best OL over the last 10 or so years was Tyson Clabo. He was a 1 star from TN with no BCS offers. WF has signed some very highly rated DL with a ton of BCS offers (e.g., John Gallagher, Frank Souza, Ramon Booi) that either hardly played or moved to the OL. Recruiting rankings become less accurate for lineman than any other position grouping because its so hard to judge who will get bigger and stronger, who will burn out, and with no AAU for football, really hard to judge high school tape and predict which lineman can play productively on the college level based on their success pushing around the typical 5-10 210 pound HS lineman. With QBs, RBs, WRs and DBs, you have elite summer QB camps and 7 on 7 camps that make it a little easier to judge those positions. Predicting OL and DL success is really crapshoot (even at Bama and FSU).

BTW, one of the best, if not the best, colleges at producing lineman is University of Wisconsin, and many of their future NFL players were either not highly recruited or not recruited at all. For example, Ricky Wagner, now an NFL lineman for the Ravens was a walk-on. Travis Fredrick, pro bowl center for Dallas, was a lightly regarded 3 star, and JJ Watt walked-on at Wisconsin after his only college offer was Central Michigan (Scout and Rivals ranked him as 2 star). After spending one unhappy year at CMU, Watt transferred to Wisconsin, walked-on and the rest is history.

Last edited:
WF's best OL over the last 10 or so years was Tyson Clabo. He was a 1 star from TN with no BCS offers. WF has signed some very highly rated DL with a ton of BCS offers (e.g., John Gallagher, Frank Souza, Ramon Booi) that either hardly played or moved to the OL. Recruiting rankings become less accurate for lineman than any other position grouping because its so hard to judge who will get bigger and stronger, who will burn out, and with no AAU for football, really hard to judge high school tape and predict which lineman can play productively on the college level based on their success pushing around the typical 5-10 210 pound HS lineman. With QBs, RBs, WRs and DBs, you have elite summer QB camps and 7 on 7 camps that make it a little easier to judge those positions. Predicting OL and DL success is really crapshoot (even at Bama and FSU).
In 2011 we had 3 highly regarded OTs. Intermann is a three year starter. Goodwin and Preble were practice players. Development is more important than a resume'.

In 2011 we had 3 highly regarded OTs. Intermann is a three year starter. Goodwin and Preble were practice players. Development is more important than a resume'.

Agree.
Lots you can do in a few years of a heavy duty S&C program.

When we start having a conversation about how recruiting stars don't matter and Wake's rise to the ACC is going to be fueled on banking on our staff having a superior ability to identify diamonds in the rough then I KNOW we are definitely back in familiar Grobesque recruiting territory.

When we start having a conversation about how recruiting stars don't matter and Wake's rise to the ACC is going to be fueled on banking on our staff having a superior ability to identify diamonds in the rough then I KNOW we are definitely back in familiar Grobesque recruiting territory.

Nah, DEACS76 has been making these posts since basically the second Clawson took over. He's been trying to make some weird point about how, even though we're signing more highly rated guys than ever before, none of it matters. I don't know.

Back