• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Correction to what I posted this morning. It seems like there WILL be a visitor this weekend. No idea who it is, or even if it is a 2016 recruit. Could be a 2017 or a preferred walk-on. It could also be the previously reported visit from Cal-commit DE Chinedu Udeogu.

ETA: Larry Collins, Pete Leota and Deuce Statham would be other guesses. Nothing like having a little mystery to figure out the weekend before signing day!

Last edited:
There always has to be some last second maneuvering. Are you certain that it's just one visitor?

If we don't get a commit between now and NSD, will we 1) not gray shirt one commit. 2) hold it for a grad transfer. 3) give it to a veteran walk-on. What do you think?

If nothing develops this week, I would hold the spot open until late in the spring. Remember, NLI's can be signed up until April 1, 2016. If a grad student athlete is available and wants to go to Wake, and fits an immediate need, that is my first choice. If nobody fits that description, then one of the gray shirts could be signed in late March to the NLI. I would be least inclined to give the schollie to one of the walk-ons.

Not Wake-related, but the NCAA dropped a Notice of Allegations on Ole Miss today. 5 days before signing day. That should be interesting.

Correction to what I posted this morning. It seems like there WILL be a visitor this weekend. No idea who it is, or even if it is a 2016 recruit. Could be a 2017 or a preferred walk-on. It could also be the previously reported visit from Cal-commit DE Chinedu Udeogu.

ETA: Larry Collins, Pete Leota and Deuce Statham would be other guesses. Nothing like having a little mystery to figure out the weekend before signing day!

Hint: I still have my eligibility.

Saw on 24/7 that Sir Patrick is a Wake lean, 50% Deacs - 50% "cloudy". Also 5* athlete Demetris Robinson looks like he'll take the spot that Akreem wants at UGA. This is the point in musical chairs were the hand is reaching towards the record and there are fewer open chairs left.

That Crystal Ball pick is from May. Probably nothing there regarding Scott

Saw on 24/7 that Sir Patrick is a Wake lean, 50% Deacs - 50% "cloudy". Also 5* athlete Demetris Robinson looks like he'll take the spot that Akreem wants at UGA. This is the point in musical chairs were the hand is reaching towards the record and there are fewer open chairs left.

Wake is not involved with Sir Patrick.

UGA's scholarship situation is interesting. They have 5 or 6 guys deciding on National Signing Day. Kirby Smart is also planning to do what Harbaugh did and carry some scholarships over to 2017. He wants to recruit a monster sized class in his first full year. Different from Clawson's strategy immediately after he was hired where he took a recruit at every position.

Larry Collins received a crystal ball prediction to Coastal Carolina. I know interest for him has seemingly decreased, but interesting how his recruitment is going.

Collins is now up to 5 Crystal Balls for Coastal Carolina, so it's safe to assume he will land there.

Good find 03. I see that the prediction was by the ECU insider too.

Not Wake-related, but the NCAA dropped a Notice of Allegations on Ole Miss today. 5 days before signing day. That should be interesting.

Shocker given the recruits Ole Miss has landed the past few years.

Arkeem Byrd left Mizzou without committing. He also declined to name a leader or set a timeframe for his decision. Buckle up!

Riley Cole decommitted from Bama today after they asked him to grayshirt. Identical situation to Matt Colburn last season. Cole is a 3* LB that we offered in June, Bama offered the next day and he committed on the spot and didn't consider anywhere else all fall. Really bizarre recruiting cycle for the young man, but given the fact we are interested in an LB and have a relationship with him I think you have to deem WF the leader if we want him. He's a 5.5 on rivals

Riley Cole decommitted from Bama today after they asked him to grayshirt. Identical situation to Matt Colburn last season. Cole is a 3* LB that we offered in June, Bama offered the next day and he committed on the spot and didn't consider anywhere else all fall. Really bizarre recruiting cycle for the young man, but given the fact we are interested in an LB and have a relationship with him I think you have to deem WF the leader if we want him. He's a 5.5 on rivals

I agree that this is worth watching. Cole visited Wake in the May/June timeframe, so you know there's mutual interest. There's also reason for caution though because a number of teams around the country are stumbling towards the finish line with scholarships available. The market for the kids that Harbaugh has forced out at Michigan has been off-the-charts.

I agree that this is worth watching. Cole visited Wake in the May/June timeframe, so you know there's mutual interest. There's also reason for caution though because a number of teams around the country are stumbling towards the finish line with scholarships available. The market for the kids that Harbaugh has forced out at Michigan has been off-the-charts.

Franklin at PSU has started following him. The thing is since he can't take any official visits before NSD would he feel comfortable committing to a program that he can't meet in person? He could also visit after NSD like Colburn did last year, but I think the fact the Wake staff already has had contact with him is helpful.

Back