• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

On paper, best way to judge any class is 2-3 years down the road but I think all of us feel the increased excitement that Clawson has developed in the program. Now his task becomes showing it on the field

We HOPE during years 1-2. We judge years 3,4,5. If a frosh wins playing time (Helms), then it's easy to judge that the 3rd 4th 5th year player ( Whit Barnes) he beats out was a bust. That shows that our developmental program is in sorry shape when a kid off bus can whip a player in your system for years. I hope that these young guys can contribute, but to start from day 1 would fill the bench with deadwood upperclassmen. Veterans who should be leading this program.

UNC took a commitment from a WR today with no P5 offers. The kid camped three times at UNC to earn the offer. His other offers were Elon, NC Central, Charleston Southern and App State. He had also camped at Wake but wasn't offered.

Wake isn't the only program to take under-the-radar types. Especially when it comes to camp season. I posted a week+ ago that Duke did the same thing with an unknown DE from Kentucky even though they are having their best recruiting year ever.

I'm going to enjoy watching the competition at RB and QB in the next few years. For now, I think the starting job is Reid's at RB. And, I don't think he was a Tennessee cast-off. He was smart and saw there was more playing time in Winston-Salem. I saw Jalen Hurd play in high school and there's no way Rocky was going to supplant him in Knoxville; or Alvin Kamara (Alabama transfer) for that matter. I'm very intrigued by Kyle Kearns. I think he's being overlooked by some fans; and, I have a strange feeling that he might be our man down the line. It's very good to have options!

Last edited:
He had a scholarship offer not a scholarship - so technically it was not revoked- rescinded maybe- he was recruited over and Butch was going in a different direction- either way the relationship soured not uncommon with Jones and UT who has that SEC sign 'em up and sort 'em out mentality. Glad it happened- very glad Reid is a Deac.

UNC took a commitment from a WR today with no P5 offers. The kid camped three times at UNC to earn the offer. His other offers were Elon, NC Central, Charleston Southern and App State. He had also camped at Wake but wasn't offered.

Wake isn't the only program to take under-the-radar types. Especially when it comes to camp season. I posted a week+ ago that Duke did the same thing with an unknown DE from Kentucky even though they are having their best recruiting year ever.

Either that or they are running out of guys who will believe their bullshit.

Jumping ahead to the 2017 class for a moment, QB Kasim Hill (Baltimore, MD) tweeted that he will be visiting Wake this weekend. He is Rivals #13 pro-style QB. Hill is a 4-star on 247.

Jumping ahead to the 2017 class for a moment, QB Kasim Hill (Baltimore, MD) tweeted that he will be visiting Wake this weekend. He is Rivals #13 pro-style QB. Hill is a 4-star on 247.

He plays at Gilman. These are the types of kids that Duke seems to be getting--great players who are at academically rigorous private schools. Also, it should make the transition to Wake easier coming from a place like Gilman.

Gilman......................where Joey Ehrmann came from
Class of 2008. Wow, time flies.

You do know that Reid's UT scholarship was revoked, right?

Sorry for this incorrect statement on my part. A curious negrep ultimately jogged my memory that I had confused my tailback recruits. It was Matt Colburn I had in mind who lost his scholarship after committing to Louisville. Bprince's reference to "Tennessee cast-off" must have made me think Reid was the player having his commitment revoked. So my aging brain not focusing on actual names (nor programs) was my downfall here. I hate making factual errors like this so please forgive me.

This might be off topic, but the players are working their asses off in the heat doing drills . They were pushing heavy tire sleds across the turf grass field on campus earlier this week with their shirts off. We have some studs and they are being pushed to the limit from what I saw Tuesday afternoon .

This might be off topic, but the players are working their asses off in the heat doing drills . They were pushing heavy tire sleds across the turf grass field on campus earlier this week with their shirts off. We have some studs and they are being pushed to the limit from what I saw Tuesday afternoon .

Gaybone, is that you?

Friday Night Lights camp is tonight. So far the only recruits tweeting about it are from the 2017 class. There was a report that DT Sulaiman Kamara would be visiting today. Hopefully we get some kind of confirmation on that today. Kamara’s Twitter account hasn’t had any activity since April so getting confirmation may be a challenge.

Moe Neal started his Syracuse visit yesterday. I’m not sure how long his visit will last.

There have been some new Phil Patterson articles recently, but no mention of a Wake Forest visit before his August 1 decision. He is visiting Tennessee today and is prioritizing a return trip to UNC. It sounds like other visits may get added though.

Georgia has taken some OL commits/transfers and that has reportedly lessened the chances that Tremayne Anchrum ends up there. That situation has been fluid for months though. I need to research Clemson’s OL priorities. I read they still have 3 OL spots available and have an offer outstanding to Anchrum. They also recruited Taleni Suhren last fall/winter (no offer) and I noticed that another Clemson coach started following Suhren on Twitter this week.

The Vanderbilt writer that has been so confident that they will land Traveon Redd is now acknowledging that Wake is in the race. He’s also reporting that Vanderbilt has a backup plan in place. I think most of the Redd-to-Vandy speculation revolves around Redd’s planned multiple night visit with his entire family starting on July 24. He has been quoted as saying that the visit is to determine whether or not that is where he wants to spend the next four years (which is actually a pretty neutral statement in my view).

Overall my impression is that Wake’s chances are improving with a number of targets. It is an interesting time. The few recruits left on the Board have fewer options than they did last month because so many spots have filled up at so many schools. The challenge now is trying to figure out who Wake is prioritizing and how many we have room for.

CB Brandon Moore will visit Wake this weekend. Already holds an offer. Brother plays at Bowling Green as was recruited by Clawson. He is on the Board on the OP in this thread. Wake is his only P5 offer. Recently lost his father in a shooting.

Dennis Smith apparently has talked to WF about the potential to play both basketball and football in college. He plays CB for TCS, but if he commits for basketball I believe he would be allowed to simply walk-on for football and not use a scholarship

Any possibility of a FB scholarship, thus sparing a BB scholarship?

I have no idea of his FB ability, however.

Dennis Smith apparently has talked to WF about the potential to play both basketball and football in college. He plays CB for TCS, but if he commits for basketball I believe he would be allowed to simply walk-on for football and not use a scholarship

Not the way it works. If he comes, he is on a football scholarship. If you play football, you are on a football scholarship. If you play basketball and play any sport other than football, you are on a basketball scholarship.

Back