• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

If we add players (and lose a few), here's a list of our present verbal commitments who I want on our final list come National Signing Day:

Basham (DL depth and potential)
Brown (Size and speed outside)
Carney (Versatile, from NC)
Chapman (TE and size)
Liverpool (Size, speed, potential and ties to the VA Beach area)
Maggio (need a kicker)
Nash (OL depth)
Newman (Potential QB of the future, size)
Suhren (Could be an OL cornerstone in the future)
Zimmer (DL with size, speed, and motor)

Jarett Cole says his 2 leaders are Georgia Tech and Kansas State. That's not what I would have guessed.

A couple of dilemmas here.

One is something that I know is a challenge right now. That's the mandatory internship required by the business school. The problem is that the football players are required to attend both sessions of summer school. The right thing for the student would be to do an internship during summer 1 (just for one year). The right thing for the athlete is to keep them enrolled in summer 1 to workout with the team and attend the strength and conditioning sessions.

The other is the fact that you want all of your players on track to graduate in 4 years. That gives the staff flexibility with that roster spot in the fifth year. To stay on track to graduate in 4 years from the business school - or any other demanding major - requires a heavy course load during football season.

Just a couple of the things that Wake will have to work through as they bring in more and more football recruits that are academically ambitious.
Just a few notes here on the business school internships. There are 3 main majors with 2 of them requiring an internship. The 3 are BEM, Finance, 5yr Accounting with BEM and Accounting requiring internships. The required BEM internship takes place during the summer between Junior and Senior year. The accounting internship is during the spring semester of their senior year. It's a January to March internship with them being back after spring break. This would cause them to miss off season conditioning but they'd probably be back in time for spring practice.

Thanks. That's good info.

Wake is the first P5 offer for DeAndre Delaney (Morristown, TN). I mentioned on this thread on Friday that he was camping at Wake for a 2nd time this summer so I guessed that he was close to an offer at that time. Rivals shows him as an APB but I am hearing the offer was to play defense.

Another recruit with offers from Army and Navy. This offer bears watching. The offers to non-P5 recruits that attend camp often turn into commits. New offers this time of year are generally commitable, especially if they have attended camp.

CB Korey Banks to UNC. He is a 5.6 on Rivals. He had signaled earlier that he might commit somewhere to save a spot while he continued his recruitment. Michigan and Wisconsin were co-favorites at one point.

Banks visited Wake on June 6.

A couple of interesting Recruiting thoughts from DC today:

On greyshirting and the prospects of making greyshirt offers in this recruiting cycle

Clawson: "Very possibly. What you do is look at your next two years. We have needs that we have for 2016, then we have needs for 2017. If there's ever a really big need for '17 and you find a player in '16 - when we do it, we're upfront about it. Say it upfront that this is what it may be. If they don't want that, then fine. We may offer a greyshirt or two, but when we do that, we do it upfront."

How far down the road do you typically look at recruits and needs for the program

Clawson: "You look at 2018 players because they come to your camps. To try to project what your needs are going to be in '18 is really hard, because with your incoming class you really don't know if they're hits or misses until a year from now. I always try to do a two-year projection of the anticipated needs. So when you have a camp, and you know you're going to need a bunch of offensive linemen that early evaluation becomes that much more critical."

Guys - I was a little derelict in posting the materials above. Those quotes came from a larger article written by Les Johns on the Rivals site. I think 94 can vouch for the fact that Les has been doing a terrific job on his site. I'd encourage all of you to go over there and check out his work.

A few news items and other thoughts:

Sir Patrick Scott recently mentioned his interest in Wake Forest again, so he is back on my radar. However, he also hinted that committing to Michigan during his visit on August 1 was a possibility. He will be attending their annual BBQ event, so Sir Patrick will have plenty of opportunity to interact with current commits during his visit. My own opinion is that he will commit to Michigan if they have a spot for him. I can't tell whether Arizona and Wisconsin are still involved.

Jordon Brown said that the last RB spot at Oklahoma State might be taken soon, and that will impact whether he visits there this fall. That would leave South Carolina as the only school with the potential to break into his top 2 of UNC and Wake. I’ve read recently that Brown is not just a friend of former teammate Kendall Hinton, but also a similar personality.

I’m not sure why I didn’t consider the possibility of greyshirts as a way to manage the scholarship count. However, I did take from Clawson’s comments yesterday that none of the current commits are greyshirts. It’s a possibility going forward though.

There was further confirmation from Jarrett Cole that Wake Forest isn’t in the picture anymore. I am crossing him off my own list. I wonder whether the Jarett Cole development was at all related to the decision to offer ATH DeAndre Delaney. Delaney announced his offer several hours after the news broke that Cole was focused on other schools.

John Swofford said this week there was “a little bit” of frustration that the mid-December early signing date was not implemented this year. I still can’t believe this didn’t get done with near-consensus in the coaching community. Many schools have already filled the substantial majority of their spots, so I don’t see why they need 6.5 more months before allowing recruits to sign. December and January are going to be two full months of schools trying to pilfer each other’s commits.

At some point the NCAA will begin to permit recruits to take official visits in the summer before their senior year. It just seems inevitable. It seems like the right answer for the student-athlete. I have thought that it would be a clear win for Wake Forest, but recently have started to think it may be more of a mixed bag. The biggest beneficiary would be the Big Ten schools. I have noted several recruits in the South this year that have strong interest in Midwest schools but haven’t been able to arrange transportation to get up there to visit. So they have watched spots fill up at those schools and have “settled” for schools closer to home. I think that when the rule changes we will see more second tier (i.e. below SEC-level) talent leave the South and head to the Big Ten. On the other hand I think we would see more academically-oriented recruits from different parts of the country visit Wake. So there would be a trade-off.

Good info. Thanks, 94.

Guys - I was a little derelict in posting the materials above. Those quotes came from a larger article written by Les Johns on the Rivals site. I think 94 can vouch for the fact that Les has been doing a terrific job on his site. I'd encourage all of you to go over there and check out his work.

I agree...Rivals and here are must read.

Last edited:
No new info here. Just organized all the info on key targets into one place. Included only recruits with offers.

All-Purpose Back

Jordon Brown (Durham, NC)
Rating: 4-star. Rivals 250.
Where Things Stand: Wake and UNC are co-leaders. South Carolina still in the running.
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 20
Decision Timing: During football season

Moe Neal (Gastonia, NC)
Rating: 3-star (5.6)
Where Things Stand: Presumably down to Syracuse and Wake Forest
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: February 15
Decision Timing: August 1

Receiver

Larry Collins (Lower Richland, SC)
Rating: 3-star (5.7). #78 WR in the country.
Where Things Stand: Not much visibility other than 5 Crystal Balls for South Carolina.
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 19
Decision Timing: Not known.

Offensive Line

Tremayne Anchrum (Power Springs, GA)
Rating: 3-star (5.7). #27 OG in the country.
Where things stand: Wake Forest is thought to be solidly in the mix with Georgia, Clemson, Nebraska and Colorado.
Most Recent Confirmed Visit: April 11. Previously visited on February 15.
Decision Timing: During football season.

Defensive End

Keith Simms (Bethesda, MD)
Rating: 4-star
Where Things Stand: Stanford and Maryland are thought to be favorites, but he hasn’t narrowed his list of 26 P5 offers.
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 22 (might have been 2nd visit)
Decision Timing: Not known, but he’s not close.

Defensive Tackle

Sulaiman Kamara (Richmond, VA)
Rating: 3-star (5.7). #25 DT in the country
Where Things Stand: Likely down to UNC and Wake, unless Penn State has a decommit
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 17
Decision Timing: During football season

Linebacker

Elysee Mbem-Bosse (Ellenwood, GA)
Rating: 4-star. Rivals 250.
Where Things Stand: Auburn is thought to be the favorite, but also considering Oregon, Wake Forest, Ole Miss, Alabama and UNC.
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: June 10 (also visited February 15 and March 11)
Decision Timing: Middle of football season.

Cornerback

Sir Patrick Scott (Upper Marlboro, MD)
Rating: 3-star (5.6)
Where Things Stand: Michigan is a heavy favorite if they have room. Wake Forest may be a strong contender if Michigan takes a pass. Wisconsin and Arizona are two other schools that have been mentioned.
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: February 15
Decision Timing: maybe during his Michigan visit?

Brandon Moore (Orlando, FL)
Rating: Not rated
Where Things Stand: Wake is only P5 offer.
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 17-18

Safety

Traveon Redd (Ridgeway, VA)
Rating: 3-star
Where Things Stand: Toss-up between Wake Forest and Vanderbilt
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: June 10. Also visited for Jr Day and Spring scrimmage.
Decision Timing: July 31

Myles Dorn (Charlotte, NC)
Rating: 3-star (5.7). #51 ATH in the country.
Where Things Stand: UNC and NCSU are thought to be leading, with Wake Forest running a strong third. Has visits upcoming to Michigan State and West Virginia
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: Not known
Decision Timing: During the football season.

DeAndre Delaney (Morristown, TN)
Rating: Unrated
Where Things Stand: Wake is only P5 offer
Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: July 17. He also camped in June.

^^^^^^
So many high quality recruits and so few spaces left in our class.
Doubt we could take more than 2-3 of these
Wish it was earlier in the recruiting year when we had more openings.
The good news is the staff seems to be connecting with more high caliber players. Next year's class could be highest rated ever.

^^^^^^
So many high quality recruits and so few spaces left in our class.
Doubt we could take more than 2-3 of these
Wish it was earlier in the recruiting year when we had more openings.
The good news is the staff seems to be connecting with more high caliber players. Next year's class could be highest rated ever.

I've included some real longshots on the Board (i.e. Simms, Dorn).

All the recent recruiting activity, including the offer to DeAndre Delaney, has led me to speculate that maybe the staff has more room than we think.

Another visitor tomorrow will be WR Greg Dortch (Highland Springs, VA). Dortch officially measured 5'7 and 149 pounds at Nike Camp last March. He ran a 4.66 40. I am assuming he would project as a slot receiver at the college level. He doesn't claim a Wake Forest offer at this point, but has tweeted pics of the mailings that the staff sends to key targets. He holds offers from James Madison, Hampton and Norfolk State.

Could the staff be considering more slot receivers?

Unrated 2016 OL Tyler Watson tweeted that he has picked up an offer from Wake. He has lots of offers, but Wake is his first P-5 offer. From Milton HS in Alpharetta, GA. I think Wake has had some players from that HS before.

Back