• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

That's my mistake about Ray...Their page is bizarre.

But you don't replace a coach who turns HS and AAU off with an older version of that guy.

Howland's overall record is propped up by an incredibly awful OOC schedule. Miss State went 12-1 OOC, and with a 15 point loss to the one top 130 team (Cincy) that Howland played OOC. Miss State has 6 wins against teams rated 290 or worse. To give an idea how bad that is, WF (and WF's OOC schedule was not daunting) played one team (Charlotte) ranked 290 or worse. Miss State also played zero OOC road games (hard to find another D-1 team that did not play a single OOC road game). Playing a schedule with essentially 11 or 12 gimme wins and then going .500 (and let's see if Miss State stays at .500 in conference this year) in a low end Power V conference is not particularly worthy of praise. Agree that Miss State has had a better year than WF, but that is not saying much (and they aren't better by much) but their 18-7 record is a mirage, built on a pathetic OOC schedule.

SEC isn't a low end P5 conference this year. It's as strong as any conference this year. Before this year, yes, they were low end.

That's my mistake about Ray...Their page is bizarre.

But you don't replace a coach who turns HS and AAU off with an older version of that guy.

Their page is weird, since most list all the seasons on one page versus having to click to individual coaches.

I know Howland's HS / AAU relationships were batted around as a major issue in 2014. I am not sure if the year off or region change allowed a reset or if the concerns were just overblown in the first place, but in four classes he has recruited 2 5 stars and 11 4 stars so it certainly doesn't seem to be an issue at this point.

I wasn't a Howland proponent either. He felt like a high floor, low ceiling guy, and I was in favor of a riskier approach, which better aligned with Manning. Regardless of that, the early indicators at Mississippi State are quite positive. Doesn't mean he would have been a fit in Winston though, Wake is certainly a very different place than Mississippi State (although so are UCLA and Pittsburgh).

For SOS, yes their OCC schedule is quite atrocious it seems. 345th in the country. That's why I would rather look at the overall KP rating versus the record.

Last edited:
Howland's overall record is propped up by an incredibly awful OOC schedule. Miss State went 12-1 OOC, and with a 15 point loss to the one top 130 team (Cincy) that Howland played OOC. Miss State has 6 wins against teams rated 290 or worse. To give an idea how bad that is, WF (and WF's OOC schedule was not daunting) played one team (Charlotte) ranked 290 or worse. Miss State also played zero OOC road games (hard to find another D-1 team that did not play a single OOC road game). Playing a schedule with essentially 11 or 12 gimme wins and then going .500 (and let's see if Miss State stays at .500 in conference this year) in a low end Power V conference is not particularly worthy of praise. Agree that Miss State has had a better year than WF, but that is not saying much (and they aren't better by much) but their 18-7 record is a mirage, built on a pathetic OOC schedule.

When we’re comparing a team to post-Dino Wake Forest, a weak OOC doesn’t exactly prove your point.

When we’re comparing a team to post-Dino Wake Forest, a weak OOC doesn’t exactly prove your point.

What are you talking about? Miss. State OOC schedule is rated #345 (there 351 D-1 teams.

Over the last 3 years, WF's OOC schedule has been:

2016 = #55 (#7 overall)
2017 = #45 (#25 overall)
2018 = #206 (#9 overall)

WF's OOC schedule (and overall schedule) has been on a much higher level than Miss. State's. #345 out of 351 is horrible, and explains why a middling SEC team has an overall record of 18-7.

What are you talking about? Miss. State OOC schedule is rated #345 (there 351 D-1 teams.

2016 = #55 (#7 overall)
2017 = #45 (#25 overall)
2018 = #206 (#9 overall)

WF's OOC schedule (and overall schedule) has been on a much higher level than Miss. State's. #345 out of 351 is horrible, and explains why a middling SEC team has an overall record of 18-7.

He's probably referring to mainly to the [Redacted] tenure when we had the 314th, 267th, 260th, and 317th most difficult schedules. Manning's first OCC schedule was also pretty weak, at 251st.

2016 = #55 (#7 overall)
2017 = #45 (#25 overall)
2018 = #206 (#9 overall)

He's probably referring to mainly to the [name redacted] tenure when we had the 314th, 267th, 260th, and 317th most difficult schedules. Manning's first OCC schedule was also pretty weak, at 251st.

What Lurker said. Also, with the exception of a season or two, we lose to most of the teams that boost our OOC ranking and beat up on cupcakes to pad our record. Most of our best seasons since Dino was fired are padded by crap wins. The bigger issue, though, is that since Dino was fired, we haven't even consistently beaten cupcakes like Delaware State, Stetson, Presbyterian, Georgia Southern, Liberty, Drake, Richmond, Iona, Wofford, and UNCW, either.

I'd love to be sitting at 18-7 and 7th in the league. Had we beaten the cupcakes that we scheduled and gone 6-6 in conference as MSU has (vs. our current 2-11), we would be 16-13 (or 16-14) and 8th or 9th in the ACC.

Poor Mitchell. He’s gotta have a concussion from that.

Keatts and State inch yet closer to the dance. Especially with a very soft finish to ACC play.

We may be catching them in a good spot though

Dont even want to get started on the way that game was officiated. Woof.

Outcome of the NCSU/Wake game may decide if NCSU feels confident going into selection Sunday or not. I had us needing to go 2-2 in the stretch that was VT through Wake. Have to get the Wake game to do that obviously. Should be a good game as it always seems to be in Winston. NCSU has to get to 10 ACC wins to get in IMO unless we win multiple games in the ACC tourney. Should be a fun game this weekend.

Syracuse has a tough road from here to make the NCAAs. Could easily lose out.

Anywhere from 6-10 ACC teams could make the tourney depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

Louisville, Miami, VT, NCSU, Cuse, FSU all have work to do.

I’m assuming BC and ND have no shot.

GO DEACS!

We had 'em on the road and let them get away. Let's put a "bad loss" on cow college's NCAAT resume this weekend! :thumbsup:

Probation probably won't happen until late 2020 so they're good for a while.

Maybe true, but you know it's coming. And the NCAA isn't afraid to sanction schools he coaches for. Which begs the question. What if UNC hires him to replace Roy in a couple of years? Will they sanction a coach they love to sanction if he's at an unsanctionable school?

Maybe true, but you know it's coming. And the NCAA isn't afraid to sanction schools he coaches for. Which begs the question. What if UNC hires him to replace Roy in a couple of years? Will they sanction a coach they love to sanction if he's at an unsanctionable school?

There is only a very slightly lower chance that UNC will hire me than they will hire Bruce Pearl. He is scum and has no ties to UNC.

Back