• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

Yeah, UVA really, really struggled to score at the end of last year, too. Only scored 39 and lost by 24 in their second round NCAAT game last year. They're better this year, but definitely still susceptible to long scoring droughts.

Defense requires more work than offense. I think that UVA's primary shooters (Guy and Jerome) have almost lost their legs...they are fatigued. Most teams play a zone at times to rest. Over their last 2 games, UVA is showing serious signs of being worn down. It will be interesting to see if that proves to be the case and, if so, what Bennett does to address the problem. He might have to make changes in his scheme.

Watching Luke Maye reminds me that a preferred walk-on offer can turn into a great college player. Imagine if Sr. year Okeke turns out to develop into as good of a player as Maye is for UNC now.

Maye’s situation was a little (a lot) different than Okeke’s.

Maye was a Top 100 player on some sites... His dad just happened to be Mark Maye, so he’s a preferred walk-on at UNC.

He had offers from ND, Clemson, Gonzaga, and some others.

One and done model not looking good this year

I think Carolina’s strategy of picking five star recruits with major flaws that keep them from leaving after one year is the best route for blue bloods.

Defense requires more work than offense. I think that UVA's primary shooters (Guy and Jerome) have almost lost their legs...they are fatigued. Most teams play a zone at times to rest. Over their last 2 games, UVA is showing serious signs of being worn down. It will be interesting to see if that proves to be the case and, if so, what Bennett does to address the problem. He might have to make changes in his scheme.

I don't buy into any of this UVA isn't built for the long haul, and their style of play will doom them. Yeah, they are and can go 9 deep. And it's February, and they only have 2 losses. What happened last night is they played a shite game - really their 1st shite game since BC almost beat them. They got out hustled by a game VT team who played their best and most disciplined defensive game of their season. Tech did 2 things well - they jammed up the lane to prevent UVA from driving, and got out quickly to contest 3 point shooters. And what happened is UVA ended up settling for bad 3s on most of their possessions. UVA almost never went inside out to set up a 3, and they weren't running their blocker/mover offense effectively - and on many occasions they weren't even running the blocker/mover. That was the most stagnant I've seen them all year. The other thing is they never looked for Hunter on the offensive end after halftime. Tony, he's your best offensive player - get him the damn ball. I really think what happened is UVA went into last night believing their own press clippings and didn't work hard on the offensive end. They worked hard on D for the most part, though not boxing out a couple of times late cost them the game. I think Tony will use last night to get them refocused.

Big congrats to VT. It wasn't a pretty game, but it was pretty darned electric and loud. And they were unfazed and walked out of there with a great win. That should punch their dance ticket, although they play the ACC's toughest schedule. The 4 teams they get to play twice are UVA, Duke, Miami and Louisville.

UVA isn't going to win anything with that style. Once they get out of ACC play and aren't allowed to get away with all the fouling they'll bow out.

Can’t disagree....

I agree with all of this. Also, like already mentioned, when you’re susceptible to scoring droughts like they seem to be it is hard to see them making a deep run.

Can’t disagree....

They murdered Robinson on both ends of the floor at the end, yet nothing. He was crushed when he drove to the rim and crushed by a moving screen on the other end. He was laughing in disbelief when talking to the official during that timeout. I guess uva gets the benefit of the doubt with these things due to their brand of basketball.

And I've always sworn that UVA fans complain about the zebras more than any fan base. It's rarely about the officiating. And almost no fouls were called either way last night because nobody drove the lane until the end of the game. Both teams were just shooting contested Js.

Was actually going to pose this question today when watching that Pitt L'ville game. Who's better, Stallings or Manning? Stallings has more history but presently I'd say Manning. Faint praise.

Illinois lost by 22 at home to Penn State. I wish I could take more pleasure in that, but we suck almost as bad.

Ayo chose one of the only major conference teams worse than us. That's a kick in the nuts.

Mark Smith has only played 25+ minutes once in conference play. And he had 0 points and 3 fouls in that game. Not a single double figure game.

Last edited:
Anointing the next #1 is always dangerous when they have a game to play.

UVA backs into a #1 ranking thanks to Nova and Purdue's losses and Michigan State's garbage schedule.

It's obviously all about matchups, but I don't see that UVA team winning six - or even four - in a row come March...

UVA backs into a #1 ranking thanks to Nova and Purdue's losses and Michigan State's garbage schedule.

It's obviously all about matchups, but I don't see that UVA team winning six - or even four - in a row come March...

Really an easy position to take as no team (particularly this year) is likely to win six or even 4 games in a row heading into the tournament. That said, UVA has played better than any team in college basketball to date, and the have a better chance to make a run than any other ACC team. Some people don't like UVA because their style, but they play harder than any team in the country and they win. Kudos.

Last edited:
Funny thing about that game is that UVA was toast in regulation until VaTech threw up on themselves. Nothing like having a foul to give and letting UVA walk it down and hit an uncontested 8 footer...

But then they had a 94% free throw shooter headed to the line to win it. Twice. And he made only 1 of 4 possible free throws. I mean, we suck and everything, but to watch them throwing in banked 3's at the buzzer or shooting 100% from the line against us in close games and then do that crap against a coach our fanbase worships... Very annoying.

As the reigning OGBoards March Madness champion, I can confirm that the NCAA Tourney is largely a crapshoot. I think it is silly to dismiss UVA due to style of play.

There is the school of thought that the team w/ the most NBA ready talent generally wins it all, but Duke doesn't play defense... That's an issue, too.

I know who UVA doesn't want as the 2 seed in their region. Tony is praying really hard that the NCAA somehow sanctions Mich St in the next 3 weeks.

Back