• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

What? The ACC plays more physical than we will see in the Tourney? Now, that is a hot take. Gotta call BS on that.

No, I think that a few ACC teams get a way with some things in the acc that they don't get away with in a NCAA tourney setting.

Maybe in UNC and Duke's case.

Generally though they let way more go in the NCAAs than a regular-season game. I think ACC teams are often too coddled by overofficiating in the regular season and expect similar treatment in the NCAAs

I know they lost last night, but watching TCU play was depressing. They're historically a garbage program and had four straight years of awful, Redacted-esque results after moving to the Big 12. They won 2, 0, 4, and 2 conference games in those four years and had an overall losing record in every single one. Then Jamie Dixon comes in and in his first year, they win six conference games, finish with an overall winning record, and win the freaking NIT (let alone qualify for it). In year two, they have five conference wins already and are firmly on the NCAAT bubble. It's amazing what superb coaching can accomplish.

But it's unrealistic to expect those kind of results at Wake Forest.

Great job by Ben Howland at Mississippi State who really knows how to coach! He has the Bulldogs sitting tied for 6th with KY at 6-6 and with an 17-8 overall record, proving once again he is the real deal.

The ACC looks poised to get at least 9 teams in the Dance and hopefully 10, which will lead all conferences.

I think we'd get in ten right now. 'cuse doesn't have as many quality wins as last year when they got left at home but they are better basically everywhere else. A resume not to dissimilar from ours ly

Last edited:
Sort of a semi play in game between Cuse and a State tomorrow. Think State needs to win 10 ACC games to make the dance after our garbage OOC schedule.

Great job by Ben Howland at Mississippi State who really knows how to coach! He has the Bulldogs sitting tied for 6th with KY at 6-6 and with an 17-8 overall record, proving once again he is the real deal.

The ACC looks poised to get at least 9 teams in the Dance and hopefully 10, which will lead all conferences.

Ben's done such a good job that in his first two years he came in 11th and 12th in the very mediocre SEC. That truly proves Ben is the real deal.

GREAT JOB BEN!!!

Sort of a semi play in game between Cuse and a State tomorrow. Think State needs to win 10 ACC games to make the dance after our garbage OOC schedule.

Quality wins away from your floor will carry y'all a ways. And not like you guys have by far the worst non-conf SOS -- K-State and VT (as always) played absolutely horrific ones

BC wins first ACC road game in almost 3 years at PITT.

We had better not drop that one.

Ben's done such a good job that in his first two years he came in 11th and 12th in the very mediocre SEC. That truly proves Ben is the real deal.

GREAT JOB BEN!!!

Per KP, his first 2 teams were better than all but one of Wake's last 7 (not counting this year, which is pretty much the same as Howland's year 2 and worse than his year 1).

He has actually done a pretty good job. They were Bzdelikan under Rick Ray.

Wow, from down 15 to a 23-point win....box score says 2,835 at the game, but I'd be surprised if it was half of that based on what I saw on TV last night.....can they afford NOT to fire him, even with a $10 million reported buyout?

A 7-game series between Wake in Year 1 of Bz and this year's Pitt team would be must-watch TV.

Two years ago BC went 0-18 in the ACC with a team that was at least as bad as the previous coach's worst team. Now they are a full 4 games ahead of the Deacs in the ACC standings.

Per KP, his first 2 teams were better than all but one of Wake's last 7 (not counting this year, which is pretty much the same as Howland's year 2 and worse than his year 1).

He has actually done a pretty good job. They were Bzdelikan under Rick Ray.

Records count more than a theoretical computer ranking.

Records count more than a theoretical computer ranking.

Ok, so in each season he won more games then [Redacted] won in first three seasons and Manning's won in his first two. Of course that doesn't adjust for strength of schedule, but then you don't like metrics that do.

I know you have an ax to grind against Howland for whatever reason, but he is doing a nice job at a traditionally mediocre basketball program that was in pretty bad shape.

He plays in a much, much weaker conference. The ACC vs. SEC in those years wasn't even a competitive argument.

RE: MS State's records - In nine of the previous eleven seasons, MS State won over 20 games. One other season they were 17-13. Hell, in their past fourteen seasons, they had only been under .500 once. They had been .500 or over in the SEC 10 of the previous 11 seasons.

So, your premise about MS State is simply wrong. Howland (who had really good recruiting years his his first three) did historically worse than MS State had been doing.

He plays in a much, much weaker conference. The ACC vs. SEC in those years wasn't even a competitive argument.

RE: MS State's records - In nine of the previous eleven seasons, MS State won over 20 games. One other season they were 17-13. Hell, in their past fourteen seasons, they had only been under .500 once. They had been .500 or over in the SEC 10 of the previous 11 seasons.

So, your premise about MS State is simply wrong. Howland (who had really good recruiting years his his first three) did historically worse than MS State had been doing.

I am happy to give you stats that are adjusted for strength of schedule, but you just told me records count more. Per SOS adjusted stats, Mississippi State was 256th in 2012-13, 205th in 2013-14, 159th in 2014-15, 78th in 2015-16, 88th in 2016-17, and is 57th right now. Howland was hired in 2015.

My premise is actually not wrong at all. In the three years prior to Howlands hiring, Missississippi State won 10, 14, and 13 games. Not sure why you are ignoring the Rick Ray tenure. It would be like someone ignoring the [name redacted] tenure when evaluating Manning.

Back