• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

Alabama’s entire bench got ejected v Minnesota for running on the court during a fight. Had one of their remaining 5 foul out. Playing last 11 minutes with 4 guys

1 of the 4 got hurt. Now playing with 3 guys

What channel?

Yep, doesn’t look near as nice as we would hope. This team is low on talent but K^2 has them playing hard and we at least have an identity now. If we can find someone to consistently shoot the ball we will be pesky all year but this isn’t a tourney team. Love what I’m seeing so far though.
Is K^2 a thing now? And if so how are you feeling about your football program under D^2?

Is K^2 a thing now? And if so how are you feeling about your football program under D^2?

Not really, but as a math guy I enjoy it. Can’t call him Coach K obviously. Think most are saying KK and DD. Can’t think of mother “Coach D” so I haven’t used that with him.

As for the football program, 6-2 in the ACC for the first time in over 20 years and I though we were the more talented/better team in 11 of 12 games so I’m happy where it’s headed. Coaching needs to be more consistent but the recruiting and program building is heading where it needs to be.

Last edited:
Anyone watching Carolina? First of all those uniforms are ugly. Second Pinson just flopped ala duke style and drew the weakest flagrant foul I've ever seen. Fucking Carolina.

Michigan State destroyed UNC by 18 and held UNC to 45 points.

Duke plays TERRIBLE D. There's no excuse for players that good to be that bad on D.

Duke has worse perimeter D than Wake somehow.

Yea so this Marvin Bagley guy. Glad he's only at Duke for 1 year. He's p good.

Hard to believe he was going to be in HS this year.

Check out UVA against Wisconsin. They're a lot better than I thought they'd be. Tony nudged a few guys out of the program (Shayock, Reuter & Thompson), and they ended up with addition by subtraction. They're better defensively, mostly because Guy and Jerome are doing a better job of not letting the guys they're guarding drive by them on a regular basis. And the 2 red-shirted freshmen, Hunter and Huff, actually have game, especially Hunter. He's a 6'7" SF with athleticism and a pretty good touch. They could have used him last year. Their true freshman isn't showing much of anything yet, though. In what I thought would be a bit of a down year, I think they're improved over last year's edition.

Tony Bennett has a system and it works. UVA will always have an identity for as long as he is their coach. On the flip side, it will always be tough for Bennett to bring in elite players based upon that system. The over/under on the Wisconsin/UVA game is 122.

Is Bagley the best 1 and done Duke has had yet? Can't be many better to ever come through judging by what he's done so far.

*I know it's early but he has been damn impressive

Tony Bennett has a system and it works. UVA will always have an identity for as long as he is their coach. On the flip side, it will always be tough for Bennett to bring in elite players based upon that system. The over/under on the Wisconsin/UVA game is 122.

His recruiting classes based on the number of stars is unimpressive. But after taking over a program bereft of talent (and he kicked his best player Landesberg off the team), he's produced a number of pros - Scott, Anderson, Harris and Brogdon. Perrantes and Mitchell have had some NBA stints as well. Of those, I think Brogdon and Anderson were the only 4*s. Harris was only a 2* in at least 1 service's ratings. But after establishing his program over the last several years, I still gotta think he'd get more 4*s than he's been bringing in the last couple of years. Anthony was a 3*, and next year, all he has so far is a 5'9" unrated PG from CA and a 3* SF from Australia. The other thing I don't get that Tony has been doing recently is that most of his recent bigs have been stiffs. I don't mind stiff as much when they have some hoops skills, like Huff and Tobey. But Salt and Reuter are just stiffs, though Salt gets most of what he can out of his game. Tony plays the packline man and doubles big to big. He was better off when he was bringing in athletic 3* bigs like Scott, Mitchell and Atkins.

Is Bagley the best 1 and done Duke has had yet? Can't be many better to ever come through judging by what he's done so far.

*I know it's early but he has been damn impressive
Best in college, or best as in pro-potential? Kyrie Irving is a top 20 NBA player, and Jahlil Okafor was first team All-American, ACC POY, and won a championship.

I'd say college, just because you can't project these guys to the nba accurately. But you are correct, Okafor left some big shoes to fill, wouldn't be surprised however to see Bagley reach that level.

His recruiting classes based on the number of stars is unimpressive. But after taking over a program bereft of talent (and he kicked his best player Landesberg off the team), he's produced a number of pros - Scott, Anderson, Harris and Brogdon. Perrantes and Mitchell have had some NBA stints as well. Of those, I think Brogdon and Anderson were the only 4*s. Harris was only a 2* in at least 1 service's ratings. But after establishing his program over the last several years, I still gotta think he'd get more 4*s than he's been bringing in the last couple of years. Anthony was a 3*, and next year, all he has so far is a 5'9" unrated PG from CA and a 3* SF from Australia. The other thing I don't get that Tony has been doing recently is that most of his recent bigs have been stiffs. I don't mind stiff as much when they have some hoops skills, like Huff and Tobey. But Salt and Reuter are just stiffs, though Salt gets most of what he can out of his game. Tony plays the packline man and doubles big to big. He was better off when he was bringing in athletic 3* bigs like Scott, Mitchell and Atkins.

Well, just to clarify a bit: The 2016 class included nothing but Top 100 prospects, and they were all 4 stars. Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome were both Top 50 prospects. Mamadi Diakite reclassified late to enroll early, and his ranking was all over the place because of it. He was ranked in the Top 50 by some, and barely Top 100 by others. As far as the 2017 recruits are concerned, Marco Anthony appears to be a solid prospect. He will take time to develop. Frankie Badocchi may be a steal. He is redshirting after surgery this summer, but... He didn't play AAU ball between his junior and senior years of high school because of another injury. He went home to Italy, so the various services didn't get a chance to see him play, but he is a very, very athletic 6'7" forward. His range is limited, but his hops are not. I also believe that Bennett's inability to recruit a highly touted player in the 2018 class has much to do with the youth on the current squad (next year's starters are already in place), and the fact that many of the elite recruits have no desire to sit and learn the defense before they get serious playing time. Additionally, I don't think that Bennett 'ran off' Reuter, Thompson, or Shayok. I think they saw the writing on the wall and knew they might be losing playing time. I think that was certainly true of Shayok and Reuter. Bennett has publicly stated that he never asks a player to leave, and he never begs a player to stay. I have no reason to doubt him.
Finally, even having said all this, I am not terribly concerned about 'recruiting stars' awarded by Scout, Rivals, ESPN, or 24/7. I don't believe they have the ability or the resources to do much more than identify the very, very elite prospects in any given class. Perhaps the top 15 to 20. The rest are just click bait. As you noted, Mike Scott, Joe Harris, Akil Mitchell, Justin Anderson, Mike Tobey, Malcolm Brogdon, and London Perrantes have drawn interest from NBA programs, and all but Tobey and Mitchell are currently on NBA teams. I would think this would suggest that Bennett is attracting very good talent (although he didn't sign Mike Scott). Who do you want to believe in this matter? Rivals and ESPN, or NBA coaches? On the other hand, there are a few former Top 100 prospects who signed with UVa whose careers have not progressed as well. K T Harrell (he did play in the 2015 summer league, though), James Johnson, and Evan Nolte were all four star, top 100 prospects.

Assuming no unanticipated attrition, Virginia's roster appears solid for the next few years. I imagine Bennett will fill in the gaps with adequate talent as things progress.

Back