• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

LEVELLE's gonna pull the first 16/1 against fraudulent lucky-ass Xavier

Oklahoma and Cuse getting in are absolute shams.

This is where I am. Bilas was explaining the quadrant thing the other day and the false equivalences that the RPI can give you. I would have put Louisville, ND and Okie St in over Oklahoma, Syracuse and Arizona St. Sure, Oklahoma was all the rage 2 months ago, but they've been terrible since. I thought the committee considered injury effects and recent form, but apparently not. Okie St swept Oklahoma and Kansas. They're imminently more capable of winning 3-4 games right now than Oklahoma is. And Louisville and ND are extremely talented and also capable of winning 3-4 games - much more so than Syracuse or Arizona St. Or FSU for that matter.

Ya'll talking about unc's cupcake region, but Michigan is playing very well lately, and are well coached. Of all the 3 seeds, Michigan is who I would want for the holes. And if they get to the sweet sixteen, it will be in LA. Now if they were put in the Atlanta region and UVA shipped out west.....

Agreed. The B10 sucked overall this year, but Michigan, Mich St and Purdue are very good teams. I'm thinking of putting Mich St and Michigan in my final 4 and have them beating Duke and UNC. The committee also didn't do UVA any favors and likely gives them the winner of the hardest 4/5 game with Zona and Kentucky. Both of those teams are better able to knock off UVA than Cincy or Tennessee is. That Cincy/Houston tilt yesterday was a masonry fest. Although UVA can't complain too loudly because at least Mich St isn't in their region. Looks like Nova has the easiest path of the #1 seeds to the final 4.

Louisville just didn't really beat anybody in spite of ample chances.

Gotta imagine they're in at 10-8 in the ACC and with a win over UVa had they just not epically blown that one. Not the best year for that program.

Oklahoma State and Syracuse seemed to be the two cases of teams being punished or rewarded respectively for their non-conference schedules

Louisville just didn't really beat anybody in spite of ample chances.

Gotta imagine they're in at 10-8 in the ACC and with a win over UVa had they just not epically blown that one. Not the best year for that program.

Oklahoma State and Syracuse seemed to be the two cases of teams being punished or rewarded respectively for their non-conference schedules

I don't disagree with anything you said. I said a few pages back that Louisville was the biggest underachiever in the ACC. And yes, they appeared to reward tough OOC schedules, but they didn't appear to consider recent form or injury situations, which they have many times in the past. All of that said, tell me with a straight face that Oklahoma, Arizona St, FSU and Syracuse are all capable of winning 3-4 games. Because ND, Okie St and Louisville are.

What do Texas, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Alabama and Arizona State have in common? Losing records in conference play. LOL.

What do Texas, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Alabama and Arizona State have in common? Losing records in conference play. LOL.

People (not directed at you Blackjack) should remember this when they label making the dance a major accomplishment

People (not directed at you Blackjack) should remember this when they label making the dance a major accomplishment

Making the tournament is not a major accomplishment. Making the tournament 75% - 80% or more of the time is a major accomplishment.

Yep. The field has gotten too big. Don't care about how strong the conference is or quality wins or whatever - teams going 8-10 in conference should not be making this thing (unless they win their conference tournament).

This is where I am. Bilas was explaining the quadrant thing the other day and the false equivalences that the RPI can give you. I would have put Louisville, ND and Okie St in over Oklahoma, Syracuse and Arizona St. Sure, Oklahoma was all the rage 2 months ago, but they've been terrible since. I thought the committee considered injury effects and recent form, but apparently not. Okie St swept Oklahoma and Kansas. They're imminently more capable of winning 3-4 games right now than Oklahoma is. And Louisville and ND are extremely talented and also capable of winning 3-4 games - much more so than Syracuse or Arizona St. Or FSU for that matter.

They "might" consider injury effects if it really mattered. But a Bonzie Colson Notre Dame team still had a bad resume. They lost at home to Ball State & Indiana plus they got smashed by Michigan St. They just didn't deserve to get in. The committee used the entire season, not the last 10 games & all that stuff as in the past. That is why Joe Lunardi always had Oklahoma & Arizona St in the field the entire time. So yes, OK & ASU had bad 2nd half of the season, but their entire body of work was far more impressive than what ND did not do.

NCAA continues to look out for their Heels. Prime Charlotte placement for them

Looking out for the Heels? My gosh, they have to go they have to go thru a huge Tex A&M team or a vastly improving Providence team. Then the Big Ten champs Michigan who have won about 10 in a row & are coached by Beilein. And if they get thru all that, they either get Xavier or Gonzaga. I think they have as tough a bracket as UVa. And of course they get to go to Charlotte! It was either them or Duke--both were #2 seeds and UNC beat Duke twice. No problem with that at all.

how the hell did radford get in the play in game? someone was so adamant they were awesome based on winthrop from last year and historical big south seeding.

That was Pilch but I said they would certainly get a 16 seed. The Big South is not strong this year. I thought the committee would put them in an in-state game as a 1-16 vs UVa in Charlotte but they kept them just about as close, is they make it out of Dayton, but going up the road to Pittsburgh to play Villanova.

Looking out for the Heels? My gosh, they have to go they have to go thru a huge Tex A&M team or a vastly improving Providence team. Then the Big Ten champs Michigan who have won about 10 in a row & are coached by Beilein. And if they get thru all that, they either get Xavier or Gonzaga. I think they have as tough a bracket as UVa. And of course they get to go to Charlotte! It was either them or Duke--both were #2 seeds and UNC beat Duke twice. No problem with that at all.

My main gripe is that it didn't matter that Duke beat UNC 2 out of 3 and had more quality wins than them last year, but it did in the inverse situation this year. If UNC had Duke's draw last year and had to play red-hot South Carolina in SC like Duke did, we quite possibly wouldn't have had to endure UNC winning it all last year.

And to get really into the weeds the committee gave them a pass sending them out West and putting them in Xavier's region. Typically they place the 2 seeds in order according to geography, which woulda put them in Nova's region. But they randomly changed that this year

Can't get a much easier bracket than that. There are good teams in every bracket, but that is about as easy as it gets.

Also, UNC won't have trouble with Texas A&M nor Providence. They won't be handing UNC their first NCAA Tourney loss in North Carolina in 39 years

Has a 2 seed ever had 10 losses entering the NCAA tournament? I will go out on a limb and say UNC is the first ever.

Has a 2 seed ever had 10 losses entering the NCAA tournament? I will go out on a limb and say UNC is the first ever.

Kentucky (2001) and Kansas (2014) both had nine losses. Neither team made it to the Elite 8 (Kentucky lost in the Sweet 16, Kansas lost in the Round of 32). #scoop.

There have been a number of teams with eight losses as a #2 seed.

Back