• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

zone sucks. teams just need to watch duke-unc tape to get ideas to beat it. goats got any shot they wanted and if they had made shots second half in durm, they would have won all three.

Ding ding ding. Even when they fell apart in the semis it wasn’t because they couldn’t figure out the zone. It’s because they couldn’t hit an open shot.

The USC snub may have something to do with the FBI investigation. Committee may have felt it better to leave out a marginal team under investigation. Finest players money can buy and all that.

USC, Louisville and Oklahoma State.

We shall see as we say. I just know that Providence took #1 seed & Big East champ Villanova to OT and had a shot to win it. Plus Coach Cooley has made 5 straight NCAA's. Then playing Michigan with Beilein coaching in the 3rd game is just no bargain [as the Deacs found out in 2005 when WVa came from behind to beat us in Cleveland].

I really want to see the Zona-KY game in the second round, then the winner playing UVa really ought to be a contrast in styles & a battle of wills. Plus a test for UVa as Bennett, even being the #1 seed needs to get to the Final Four this year after blowing it several years ago with Perrantes, Brogden & Anderson [when they had the huge lead against Syracuse and folded down the stretch in the Elite 8 round]

That was two years ago, not several.

zone sucks. teams just need to watch duke-unc tape to get ideas to beat it. goats got any shot they wanted and if they had made shots second half in durm, they would have won all three.

BINGO!!! And they got 18 offensive rebounds in one of the games against the zone. With Bagley, Carter and Trent playing most minutes, this should never happen.

Also, Justin Anderson was already in the NBA by that time......but other than that TheReff got most of it right!

True, I meant Anthony Gill. But they also had Hall, Tobey & Wilkins on that team. It was stout and had a real chance to win it all but choked against Syracuse.

Some pundits in the desert like Long Island & St Bony tonight in the NCAA and BC, Hampton & MTSU in the NIT

True, I meant Anthony Gill. But they also had Hall, Tobey & Wilkins on that team. It was stout and had a real chance to win it all but choked against Syracuse.

Wonder what Hunter being out for UVa now will do to their chances? 6th man of the year and the best NBA chances of the bunch. Tough time for the injury.

UVA has had some bad luck when it comes to the NCAA Tourney over the last few years. This includes the Justin Anderson injury (was it a appendicitis?). Drawing a loaded MSU team as a #4 seed when UVA was a #1, and then MSU as #7 seed when UVA was a #2. Now, an injury to the one player that provides the biggest matchup problem for opponents. Reminiscent of the weird circumstances that impacted WF during the Tim Duncan years (Childress' illness after he was the best player in the nation during the conference tourney weekend; Rutland's knee injury in the ACC Tourney Final; the draw of Stanford team loaded with 7 foot goons that physically attacked Tim Duncan for 40 minutes). Just sucks for the Hoos.

Despite the loss of Hunter, if UVA loses, idiots will claim that UVA failed to win as the overall #1 because of the style that they play. UVA just finished the ACC season with an unprecedented 20-1 conference record. The style of play is great. The NCAA tournament requires talent, coaching and luck. UVA has not had a lot of it in the tourney.

Wow, that absolutely sucks for UVA.

Radford and this other team suck. Would barely beat us.

Last edited:
As someone who was going to pick UVA to advance to the Final Four, and perhaps win it all, I am struggling to gauge the impact of this injury news.

Is this something the team can rally around? Or is it very impactful on their chances for success?

6th man... 9.2ppg in just under 20 minutes a game, but clearly a difference maker and somebody who has gotten better and better throughout his (redshirt) freshman season.

***As an aside, how in the heck did Bennett get this guy (and Jay Huff) to redshirt last year as 4-star players? From what I've read, I guess he told them they needed to gain strength. Wish we could have pulled that off with some of our guys (Mitchell last year, Melo this year).

UVA has had some bad luck when it comes to the NCAA Tourney over the last few years. This includes the Justin Anderson injury (was it a appendicitis?). Drawing a loaded MSU team as a #4 seed when UVA was a #1, and then MSU as #7 seed when UVA was a #2. Now, an injury to the one player that provides the biggest matchup problem for opponents. Reminiscent of the weird circumstances that impacted WF during the Tim Duncan years (Childress' illness after he was the best player in the nation during the conference tourney weekend; Rutland's knee injury in the ACC Tourney Final; the draw of Stanford team loaded with 7 foot goons that physically attacked Tim Duncan for 40 minutes). Just sucks for the Hoos.

Despite the loss of Hunter, if UVA loses, idiots will claim that UVA failed to win as the overall #1 because of the style that they play. UVA just finished the ACC season with an unprecedented 20-1 conference record. The style of play is great. The NCAA tournament requires talent, coaching and luck. UVA has not had a lot of it in the tourney.

You could almost make the argument that UVA's scheme enables them to withstand this kind of injury more than "traditional" styles. I say almost because they had an 8-man rotation for the most part and it's pretty damn hard to win the tournament with seven guys.

Anderson broke a finger and then had an appendectomy. My recollection was he didn't play in the ACC tourney but did for the NCAAs but was not the same player he had been. But it wasn't just him. Gill was hobbled with a bad ankle 1 of those years, and Wilkins was sick and ineffective last year. So they've had a run of bad late season health issues compounded by Michigan St. That said, the Syracuse super massive choke is on them.

ATS, I think I'm going with Zona in the South now and having an all Michigan title game. I had UVA losing to Michigan St originally. Hunter is a critical loss not only from a p-t perspective but he's also a match-up issue for teams. In addition, he's the guy on that team that kills zones getting the ball at the FT line area.

Anderson broke a finger and then had an appendectomy. My recollection was he didn't play in the ACC tourney but did for the NCAAs but was not the same player he had been. But it wasn't just him. Gill was hobbled with a bad ankle 1 of those years, and Wilkins was sick and ineffective last year. So they've had a run of bad late season health issues compounded by Michigan St. That said, the Syracuse super massive choke is on them.

ATS, I think I'm going with Zona in the South now and having an all Michigan title game. I had UVA losing to Michigan St originally. Hunter is a critical loss not only from a p-t perspective but he's also a match-up issue for teams. In addition, he's the guy on that team that kills zones getting the ball at the FT line area.

I am still up in the air in the South. Had UVA winning it all, but rethinking that with the injury to Hunter. I had Zona over UK initially, but when you look at Zona's resume it is hot garbage. They haven't beaten ANYONE of note. I actually think UK could make a little run on talent alone... Davidson a tough game to start, though. Tennessee & Cincy are both very good defensive teams, but their offenses are far from elite. The more I look at it, the more I like Tennessee, given they seem a little more "tested" than Cincy. Should be some great games in that region.

I am still up in the air in the South. Had UVA winning it all, but rethinking that with the injury to Hunter. I had Zona over UK initially, but when you look at Zona's resume it is hot garbage. They haven't beaten ANYONE of note. I actually think UK could make a little run on talent alone... Davidson a tough game to start, though. Tennessee & Cincy are both very good defensive teams, but their offenses are far from elite. The more I look at it, the more I like Tennessee, given they seem a little more "tested" than Cincy. Should be some great games in that region.

You convinced me on Kentucky. They weren't playing well earlier in the year, but they're hot and playing better defensively. I don't like anyone in the bottom half, though I do have Tennessee beating Cincy. So now it's a repeat of the SEC tourney final.

I like Cincy in the South now. Don't trust Arizona. The Pac-10 is/was awful. Realize Ayton is a beast, but not sure they make it past KY (not sure KY can make it past Davidson). I also liked UVA to win it all before the injury, but the Hunter loss changes things. The bottom of the South bracket is not as daunting as the top. TN is a dangerous team, but don't see anyone else in the bottom half of the South Bracket that can challenge Cincy; Kentucky just beat TN on a neutral court, and UVA will have to either beat KY or Pac-12 champ AZ just to get the 8s. Cincy has a path of Georgia State and Nevada before playing the SEC runner-up TN.

Think there is value with Cincy since the AAC conference is largely ignored, fewer people will take Cincy than UVA, AZ maybe even KY.

I like Cincy in the South now. Don't trust Arizona. The Pac-10 is/was awful. Realize Ayton is a beast, but not sure they make it past KY (not sure KY can make it past Davidson). I also liked UVA to win it all before the injury, but the Hunter loss changes things. The bottom of the South bracket is not as daunting as the top. TN is a dangerous team, but don't see anyone else in the bottom half of the South Bracket that can challenge Cincy; Kentucky just beat TN on a neutral court, and UVA will have to either beat KY or Pac-12 champ AZ just to get the 8s. Cincy has a path of Georgia State and Nevada before playing the SEC runner-up TN.

Think there is value with Cincy since the AAC conference is largely ignored, fewer people will take Cincy than UVA, AZ maybe even KY.

You can look at who picked whom on ESPN and for Sweet 16 winners it goes cincy, Tennessee, Arizona, Kentucky. Elite 8 (and beyond) it goes Arizona, cincy, Kentucky, Tennessee. No value with Arizona there.

Back