• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

Also, UNC won't have trouble with Texas A&M nor Providence. They won't be handing UNC their first NCAA Tourney loss in North Carolina in 39 years

They won't get a chance to struggle with A&M or Providence because Lipscomb is going to take them down in the round of 64. I posted it in another thread but Lipscomb is comprised of a bunch of 6'5 - 6'8 Austin Arians looking dudes who can stroke it. Not the most athletic but they'll give UNC fits if they limit turnovers. They have one dude who is capable of beating a press and getting the ball up the court. If he stays outta foul trouble then upset central baby.

They won't get a chance to struggle with A&M or Providence because Lipscomb is going to take them down in the round of 64. I posted it in another thread but Lipscomb is comprised of a bunch of 6'5 - 6'8 Austin Arians looking dudes who can stroke it. Not the most athletic but they'll give UNC fits if they limit turnovers. They have one dude who is capable of beating a press and getting the ball up the court. If he stays outta foul trouble then upset central baby.

I know nothing about Lipscomb, but you are doing a good job of convincing me to take the 19.5.

ETA... We must differ in our definition of "stroke it." They have two guys that shot 38.6% and one guy at 35.9%... All 3 are 6'5" or above, but nobody else was even close to 30% from 3. They are going to need to get hot.

Last edited:
My main gripe is that it didn't matter that Duke beat UNC 2 out of 3 and had more quality wins than them last year, but it did in the inverse situation this year. If UNC had Duke's draw last year and had to play red-hot South Carolina in SC like Duke did, we quite possibly wouldn't have had to endure UNC winning it all last year.

And to get really into the weeds the committee gave them a pass sending them out West and putting them in Xavier's region. Typically they place the 2 seeds in order according to geography, which woulda put them in Nova's region. But they randomly changed that this year

Those Duke fans must really hate their AD today (who is a member of the selection committee this year) for favoring the Tar Heels over the Blue Devils in this year's bracket placement/seeding! :)

As for your 2nd point, I've seen multiple references today stating that the committee went against their normal geographical tendencies in placing the 2 seeds, in order to balance the brackets better. Normally UNC would have been sent East (couldn't go to South with UVA there), but it looks like the committee didn't want to put the weakest #1 seed (Xavier) with the weakest #2 seed (Purdue).

Last edited:
I know nothing about Lipscomb, but you are doing a good job of convincing me to take the 19.5.

ETA... We must differ in our definition of "stroke it." They have two guys that shot 38.6% and one guy at 35.9%... All 3 are 6'5" or above, but nobody else was even close to 30% from 3. They are going to need to get hot.

Matthews, bro, Matthews.

Marbury will give UNC's bigs all they can handle too.

Lips will cover

Kentucky (2001) and Kansas (2014) both had nine losses. Neither team made it to the Elite 8 (Kentucky lost in the Sweet 16, Kansas lost in the Round of 32). #scoop.

There have been a number of teams with eight losses as a #2 seed.

Assumed that was correct. So they lined up a 10 loss Unc team vs a 4 loss Sparty team who dominated head to head & still thought Unc was more deserving? Super weak

Assumed that was correct. So they lined up a 10 loss Unc team vs a 4 loss Sparty team who dominated head to head & still thought Unc was more deserving? Super weak

Michigan State only had 4 losses because their schedule was terrible. 217th ranked non-conference SOS, a total of 3 Q1 wins (1 of which was UNC). The Big 10 was so bad this year beyond Michigan/Purdue/Ohio State (of which they went 1-3 against) I'm having a hard time even figuring out who their 3rd Q1 win was....@Iowa? @Indiana??? Also, how does an 18 game Big 10 conference schedule not include a home-and-home with Michigan and Michigan State? That's criminal.

Last edited:
So the Louisville players voted to not play in NIT, but school making them anyway.

Those Duke fans must really hate their AD today (who is a member of the selection committee this year) for favoring the Tar Heels over the Blue Devils in this year's bracket placement/seeding! :)

As for your 2nd point, I've seen multiple references today stating that the committee went against their normal geographical tendencies in placing the 2 seeds, in order to balance the brackets better. Normally UNC would have been sent East (couldn't go to South with UVA there), but it looks like the committee didn't want to put the weakest #1 seed (Xavier) with the weakest #2 seed (Purdue).

Why don't you be a man and just acknowledge the fact that UNC gets special treatment from the NCAA? I wish Wake was in the position to get that kind of treatment.

Can't get a much easier bracket than that. There are good teams in every bracket, but that is about as easy as it gets.

We shall see as we say. I just know that Providence took #1 seed & Big East champ Villanova to OT and had a shot to win it. Plus Coach Cooley has made 5 straight NCAA's. Then playing Michigan with Beilein coaching in the 3rd game is just no bargain [as the Deacs found out in 2005 when WVa came from behind to beat us in Cleveland].

I really want to see the Zona-KY game in the second round, then the winner playing UVa really ought to be a contrast in styles & a battle of wills. Plus a test for UVa as Bennett, even being the #1 seed needs to get to the Final Four this year after blowing it several years ago with Perrantes, Brogden & Anderson [when they had the huge lead against Syracuse and folded down the stretch in the Elite 8 round]

Why don't you be a man and just acknowledge the fact that UNC gets special treatment from the NCAA? I wish Wake was in the position to get that kind of treatment.

I don't see that this year with NCAA brackets nor assignment of playing arena. They deserved a #2 seed, they beat Duke twice to "outmatch" them there as far as getting Charlotte or not. So what's the big gripe?

wait, what? beilein was coaching wvu when they beat wake in 2005? i will be damned.

The USC snub may have something to do with the FBI investigation. Committee may have felt it better to leave out a marginal team under investigation. Finest players money can buy and all that.

Ugh, Duke's defense was ranked in the 70s earlier in the year when they were playing man. They've been top 5 in defense since going to the zone.

zone sucks. teams just need to watch duke-unc tape to get ideas to beat it. goats got any shot they wanted and if they had made shots second half in durm, they would have won all three.

zone sucks. teams just need to watch duke-unc tape to get ideas to beat it. goats got any shot they wanted and if they had made shots second half in durm, they would have won all three.

Ding ding ding. Even when they fell apart in the semis it wasn’t because they couldn’t figure out the zone. It’s because they couldn’t hit an open shot.

The USC snub may have something to do with the FBI investigation. Committee may have felt it better to leave out a marginal team under investigation. Finest players money can buy and all that.

USC, Louisville and Oklahoma State.

We shall see as we say. I just know that Providence took #1 seed & Big East champ Villanova to OT and had a shot to win it. Plus Coach Cooley has made 5 straight NCAA's. Then playing Michigan with Beilein coaching in the 3rd game is just no bargain [as the Deacs found out in 2005 when WVa came from behind to beat us in Cleveland].

I really want to see the Zona-KY game in the second round, then the winner playing UVa really ought to be a contrast in styles & a battle of wills. Plus a test for UVa as Bennett, even being the #1 seed needs to get to the Final Four this year after blowing it several years ago with Perrantes, Brogden & Anderson [when they had the huge lead against Syracuse and folded down the stretch in the Elite 8 round]

That was two years ago, not several.

Back