• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Archie Miller to Indiana)

You're right! We should let the guy who turned around the bball program from its lowest point in FIFTY YEARS.

Let's let someone else steal from us.

What a ridiculous position Sig and others are taking.

Who are the others here?

With or without an offer from Georgetown, I am of the opinion we should engage in discussions for a reasonable extension. Key word is reasonable. I'd start conversations at 2m per year with three extra years. If Georgetown offers him the 4m per year they allegedly offered Mack then we should at least take the temperature of some candidates before we counter.

We need to be careful to not overreact to one good year. Manning might be a really great coach. He has certainly done a good job to date. That said, it's an unavoidable fact that in a five year career he has had one year with an above average offense and one year with an above average defense. There were of course circumstances that drove that (he inherited a talented but very young team at Tulsa and Wake was a disaster), but he isn't a sure thing to return the program to the Odom/Skip/Dino level, much less elevate it (the bill of goods we were sold 7 years ago). As such, paying him like he has already done so could be dangerous for the program long term.

Last edited:
Manning can have an extension when he earns one after next season, if and when other teams start seriously considering trying to hire him away from us.

Manning can have an extension when he earns one after next season, if and when other teams start seriously considering trying to hire him away from us.

I don't think it's a matter of earning or not...it's important to project stability after the shit show of the last few years. You can't have a coach with less than a year on his contract. That means extending him either this off season or next given that he did enough this year that next year alone isn't going to impact his status (aka decision point is year 5 now).

Cheaper to do it now rather than later. In terms of salary and buyout.

Agreed. Manning supposedly makes a mil less than Keatts and other new hires. The last two coaches didn't make it past four years. Give him a bump and a three year extension.

Not sure if he needs a raise/extension now or not.

I do know manning might have gotten wake to turn the corner but let's wait until he has the team walking, dare I dream running, down the new road before we make the case for sainthood.

Not sure if he needs a raise/extension now or not.

I do know manning might have gotten wake to turn the corner but let's wait until he has the team walking, dare I dream running, down the new road before we make the case for sainthood.

Danny needs an extension pretty soon. Coaches use the "short contract" as a negative when recruiting. I'm not sure he deserves a big raise in his base salary, but adding some incentives for performance that are reasonably obtainable would be a good way to go. Stuff like winning two games in ACC tournament. Win NCAA tournament game. Could also add bigger bonuses for bigger achievements. Sweet 16. Elite 8. Also for ACC regular season success. Something added for each game over .500 in ACC regular season, for instance. That way he gets paid for performance.

Clawson got one after last season, I'd expect Danny's to come soon.

Football coaches work on a nominal five to six year time horizon with the kids they recruit. That is, a kid being recruited probably won't exhaust his college eligibility for six years from the time he is being recruited. The 2018 kids being recruited now in FB might not graduate Wake until the spring of 2023.

Basketball coaches have about a year shorter time horizon because most basketball players finish their eligibility in four years. But, optics of contract length are important, so it would be smart of Wake to give Danny an additional three years on his contract, so he has five years into the future on his contract.

I would be OK with putting some reasonably obtainable incentives in it. That is, incentives for having a "good" season instead of straight contract dollars increase. Also add in some "hard to reach" incentives like reaching the Elite 8.

Ewing to Georgetown. I'm happy for him, but it's clear JT still holds considerable sway.

Ewing to Georgetown. I'm happy for him, but it's clear JT still holds considerable sway.

A lot of risk in the hire given Ewing's lack of experience in the college game. Similar to the NBA to college hires of Mullin and Avery Johnson hires, each of whom have been moderately successful.

I suppose this is kinda in between those two -- Mullin hadn't been a coach at any level (though he was in a couple front offices), while Johnson had made the finals as an NBA HC

Other than the league and the school's tradition, it's pretty similar to Tulsa hiring Manning.

I thought Manning was already making about $2MM.

Other than the league and the school's tradition, it's pretty similar to Tulsa hiring Manning.

Not really. Manning had been an assistant Kansas for 6+ years when Tulsa hired him, and he had been part of the Kansas program for nine years. He had coached at a high level of college basketball. He had experience recruiting. Ewing has spent all of his 15 of his post-retirement years in the NBA. Ewing has no professional experience with college hoop (other than being a great player, and having a son that played high D-1).

Not as much. Danny had multiple years as an assistant coach at a high major college program (Kansas, under Bill Self) and had lots of exposure to and opportunity to do college recruiting and he had lots of hands on experience coaching college players.

Tulsa hiring Manning was a pretty natural progression for a college coach. Assistant at a high major program -> head coach at a mid major program.

I wish G'town would also hire the PA guy from MSG. Nothing better than Ewing's intro during his prime. PAAAAAAATRICK EWING!!

Back