• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Workout/Weightloss Accountability Thread

Funny thing is I've been busy with work and work outside of work and haven't made it to the gym as much. My appetite dropped significantly and I just barely ate dinner for a few weeks. Lost a couple of pounds. Some of it was probably muscle, but lost some waistline too.

F3 Raleigh did a modified version of that on Monday. I can't do 100 pull-ups in the same month from each other and that was a shared sentiment, so we did "Australian pull-ups". Climb underneath a hand-rail in an inverted push-up position and pull your body upward. Not as bad, but plenty bad enough.

100 pull-ups is pretty insane.

100 pull-ups is pretty insane.

It's not as impressive as it sounds once you see how they are usually executed.

It's not "dead hang" pull-ups... Most people do them butterfly-style or by kipping.

I can do more than 20 in a row by kipping... But struggle to do more than 6 or 7 from a dead-hang.

For me, it is the 200 push-ups that make that workout awful.

100 dead hang pull-ups would take me all day. I am wondering which is better for those 100, kipping or doing dead hang with a band.

How much ya bench?

Most I've done in last 12 months is 225.

I usually work out with sets up to 185.

A few thoughts:
1- I lose weight like crazy for a few days after a big training or racing block. But then I get confident and eat some junk, which brings it back because... I'm not working so hard those days. Recovery + junk food is no bueno.
2- I cannot get into the F3. I swear, if feels like a bunch of rich white dudes who wish they had served in the military. Way too much hoo-rah for me.
3- I worked on weights for a whole year and eventually benched 250lb. And even then I could do about 10 pull ups. 100 is insane.

I looked at a Peleton, but for $2k, I can get a very good bike that works outdoors and $600 more gets me a trainer that lets me ride indoors.

Why ride indoors if you can be outside?

Zwift is $10/month if you want some sort of interactive training.

A few thoughts:
1- I lose weight like crazy for a few days after a big training or racing block. But then I get confident and eat some junk, which brings it back because... I'm not working so hard those days. Recovery + junk food is no bueno.
2- I cannot get into the F3. I swear, if feels like a bunch of rich white dudes who wish they had served in the military. Way too much hoo-rah for me.
3- I worked on weights for a whole year and eventually benched 250lb. And even then I could do about 10 pull ups. 100 is insane.

1. Trooth
2. Where do you live? I can only speak for Raleigh, but it's nothing like that at all. I help lead one of the Monday workouts and it is more like overgrown jv football practice. I won't deny the (mostly) rich (mostly) white dude part, but there isn't an ounce of hoo-rah involved. More look "This hoo-urts." PM me if you'd like. If I'm wrong, you can tell me. I'm not, though. Check out @n2noutreach ‏ Twitter for the F3 turnout in a great service project.
3. I am going to try to get to 10 legit pull-ups. You obviously get to break the 100 into subsets, so my plan is to get to 10, and then 20. If I can get to 20, I can break it up into fifths over the course of an hour workout.

I looked at a Peleton, but for $2k, I can get a very good bike that works outdoors and $600 more gets me a trainer that lets me ride indoors.

A: Not getting killed by somebody texting and driving.

My understanding is that there are lots of ways to get one heavily discounted through credit card promos and various club memberships

Try being a red-head. Inside and predawn is our domain.

My kid's a red-head. He's getting ready to leave for an afternoon at the pool. We should've bought a sunscreen company.

It took him one really good sunburn for him to believe us how necessary it is.

My kid's a red-head. He's getting ready to leave for an afternoon at the pool. We should've bought a sunscreen company.

It took him one really good sunburn for him to believe us how necessary it is.
I moonburn.

Took a bit longer than I had hoped (got stuck at a plateau about 1-2 pounds above my goal), but hit my weight goal this past weekend- since Dec 30, down 17.5 pounds and 5% body fat. It's been great, I can now wear pants that I haven't been able to wear in years. Going to keep it up to make sure I don't backslide and put the weight back on.

Quick update...

Jumper's knee has put running on hold for a while... Still planning on running the Ragnar Trail - Carolinas event in early October, so hoping if I take a month or two off from running, I'll be healthy enough by August to train a bit.

Weight in range of 193-196, which I think is good... Trying to add strength now, but it has been slow going. Doing 1RM lifts this week to set a baseline... DL was 365, Bench 215.

Had body fat tested yesterday (hydrostatic weighing)... No idea what I was in January at 210+lbs, but in the past when I've been working out a good amount it has been between 11-14%. I have to think it was well north of that to start the year because I was pudgy and soft. Anyway, it came back at 8.5%, which is ridiculous... But we did it 3 times and it came back the same all 3 times. I'll assume that number is incorrect (way too low), but at least it is an improvement and probably justifies that I need to be eating and lifting more (vs. any kind of cutting).

Back