• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

What happened to RJ's assessment that Morant was going to sit out the rest of the season to wait for the NBA draft?

:cool:

I said I would do it if it were me. I didn't say he would do it. I said he should.

But, as usual, Pilch is wrong...

That's risible. UMBC

I've been impressed with how well Tech has played without Robinson - they're down to like 7 scholly players or something. But I don't think this year's team matches up well with UVA. If UVA gets Blackshear in foul trouble again, they're done. Kinda rooting for them though.

VT shirts for a the VT-UVa game.

See if you notice anything in particular.

52184159_10107787793885483_2535250960683368448_n.jpg

LOL s’go Retrievers!

I used to have an old UMBC baseball cap and had always assumed the logo was a black lab - especially because their dominant color was black. Learned recently they're the Chesapeake Bay retrievers, which is appropriately the MD state dog.

UVA is in a bit of a slump. They were lucky to be up at the half, and that was because VT shot so poorly from deep - and they're usually a better outside shooting team. But UVA did play some stifling D in the 2nd half to get a little working lead. I also think Jerome isn't 100% with his back, and it hasn't helped that Kihei Clark has contributed nothing the last couple of weeks with Jerome ailing. I hope UVA picks it up come tourney time and that Robinson is able to return for VT for both tourneys.

From an outsider looking at UVA they just don't have the horses offensively. Hunter is good but IMO not good enough to carry a team offensively. If Guy and Jerome don't hit shots and you can rebound they are really going to struggle to score against a disciplined team defense. Their Defense is good as always but I still do not see how this style of play will work come tourney time. Just puts too much pressure on an offense that isn't able to recruit the players needed to go deep in the NCAA's. Clark gives them absolutely nothing offensively.

UVA is in a bit of a slump. They were lucky to be up at the half, and that was because VT shot so poorly from deep - and they're usually a better outside shooting team. But UVA did play some stifling D in the 2nd half to get a little working lead. I also think Jerome isn't 100% with his back, and it hasn't helped that Kihei Clark has contributed nothing the last couple of weeks with Jerome ailing. I hope UVA picks it up come tourney time and that Robinson is able to return for VT for both tourneys.

Before the game I thought Tech had a chance if they committed 10 or fewer turnovers. Certainly didn't anticipate the entire team other than Blackshear having a bad shooting night. With that senior-heavy roster, Buzz needs to make sure Blackshear doesn't become a grad transfer. When 4 starters play the entire game, it's hard to keep up against any good team.

Reminds me of when App beat MI in 2007. I was doing business at the time with a Cleveland HQed company called Parker Hannifin, who had a ton of OSU grads on staff. I was conducting a program for them at a Cleveland hotel at which I saw two of them in the fitness center wearing App St. T-shirts.

I only had UVA winning a game or 2 last year in my pool. Just didn't see a run in them without Hunter. I see this team as being more flawed than some of their previous editions because they have no low post scorer and only 3 guys who provide consistent scoring. But Jerome, Guy and Hunter are 1 year older and are better than they were last year, so if Jerome's back doesn't limit him, I can easily see them getting to at least the elite 8. If they play Michigan, the final score might get as high as 25-23. As for their future, Salt graduates, and the word is Hunter is going pro. They have a 4* G and a 4* big coming in. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Anthony transfer, maybe Badocchi too.

Tags, VT is down to something like 7 scholly players with Robinson out. In July, they looked to have a really good 8-9 man rotation. But then they lost 2 of their 3 bigs when Sy left school, and Clarke was kicked off the team. I think they've done great to have won as many games as they have with only 1 foul prone big on the roster. I'm hoping they get Robinson back in March so they can win some ACC and NCAA tourney games, though I think they're too limited to make a long run in either. Buzz has some good recruits coming in next year, and I seriously doubt Blackshear would leave. Buzz has been building a solid program.

I only had UVA winning a game or 2 last year in my pool. Just didn't see a run in them without Hunter. I see this team as being more flawed than some of their previous editions because they have no low post scorer and only 3 guys who provide consistent scoring. But Jerome, Guy and Hunter are 1 year older and are better than they were last year, so if Jerome's back doesn't limit him, I can easily see them getting to at least the elite 8. If they play Michigan, the final score might get as high as 25-23. As for their future, Salt graduates, and the word is Hunter is going pro. They have a 4* G and a 4* big coming in. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Anthony transfer, maybe Badocchi too.

Tags, VT is down to something like 7 scholly players with Robinson out. In July, they looked to have a really good 8-9 man rotation. But then they lost 2 of their 3 bigs when Sy left school, and Clarke was kicked off the team. I think they've done great to have won as many games as they have with only 1 foul prone big on the roster. I'm hoping they get Robinson back in March so they can win some ACC and NCAA tourney games, though I think they're too limited to make a long run in either. Buzz has some good recruits coming in next year, and I seriously doubt Blackshear would leave. Buzz has been building a solid program.

Buzz has done a great job this year. If he had Sy, Clarke, and Nolley available, VT would be a top 10 team. The only quibble I have is with his roster management. He has 1 walk-on redshirting and the other one has played a total of 2 minutes all year. Kabongo, the freshman point guard, has only played 84 minutes (I thought he looked good against Pitt). I commented in December to a friend that maybe he was burning out his starters even in their relatively weak non-conference schedule. I'll give the Hoos credit but poor outside shooting can be evidence of tired legs. I hope you're right about Blackshear.

Purdue gets a tip in with 3 seconds left to win in Bloomington...48-46.

Classic B1G hoops.

Purdue gets a tip in with 3 seconds left to win in Bloomington...48-46.

Classic B1G hoops.

How about Iowa hitting back to back buzzer beaters to win and a third earlier in conference play. The Hawkeyes will probably be dancing but I won’t have them winning in my bracket.

Not interested at all in holes at dook. Still carrying a grudge from last week's beat down. Thanks Danny.

Crazy that ticket prices exceed $3k. :tard:

Back