• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Great article, hockey analytics are awesome. My boss tries to get me into NBA analytics discussions and I would rather dry hump a cactus...

It'll be interesting to see how much of it carries over to the playoffs, the Caps weren't a great analytics team last year during the reg season either yet they were a lot better in the playoffs. Hopefully that was just a lot of drive to get their first title and they won't be able to lift their level of play so dramatically again

I think losing Kempny may hurt them more than people will expect. On the other side it sucks that de Haan is done for the year, I think that hurts the Canes just as much if not more. Calvin was playing the best hockey of his career before the eye and shoulder injuries. I’m expecting at best Caps in 6 but they have the talent and tools to sweep us.

Think our chances are being understated a bit, Vegas' series odds give us like a 40% chance. We've been playing spectac since the turn of the year and I think those underlying numbers do count for something.

What the hell, I'll take us. My biggest concern is teams who didn't make the playoffs the past year and are off a win are 65-131 since '06-07 against teams who made the playoffs last year. Matching the desperation level of an experienced opponent can be a challenge

I'm in NC for the DC games and vice versa. Not ideal! I guess I could go to Game 5 or 7 if we get there.

Idk the Canes have had to play at a playoffs level of desperation for quite a while now trying to fend off CBJ and Habs. Unless they shut it down into “happy to be here” mode I think they should be well accustomed to the stakes of the games.

True, but we weren't necessarily playing desperate teams, and I'm not sure we did that great when we did (CBJ and PIT road games come to mind)

The Capitals are not invincible. The Canes can win this series. I could see the Canes winning in 6 games. It would be an upset, but there are always a few upsets in the NHL playoffs.

Metro division, you are one tough mother.

I woulda rather him gone to the Rangers to be honest -- you figure they're gonna get good but now the Devils are gonna be a problem. Hopefully Hall leaves after next year.

5 of the last 6 top 2 picks to Metro division teams

Last edited:
On the plus side Rangers v. Devils, if he goes to NYR maybe they go on a decade-plus run of making the poffs like the Caps or Pens have done. Less confidence Jersey can pull that off

Go somewhere else Hall and infuse that franchise with supreme lottery luck:

Apparently the #2 prospect is a stud as well, setting Finnish youth scoring records. Sweet!

Not surprising given defending Cup champs vs. team that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years, but everybody being on the Caps to this degree can't hurt. Good bulletin board material, and always reassuring to be on Vegas' side

It doesn't help that they're just a better team all around. But it's hockey, Petr can get hot...

The Taylor Hall stuff is fascinating and hilarious. That was a pleasant undercard to the big event - let's fucking go! Today is the day!

Back