• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

So, there’s a chance that none of Odom, Kelsey or Miller will move up a rung on the coaching ladder?

Odom got paid at UMBC. 230K, new five year deal. UMBC still expects him to leave at some time in the future. Just later, not sooner.
Kelsey is still bound to Winthrop pretty tightly as a result of his UMass fiasco.
DR can let us know why Wes isn't on the top of everybody's list.

Wake will have its pick of the litter next offseason

I’m very curious to see what Xavier does. They have always promoted from within, but now they are a P6 team with great recent success, I expect them to go after a home run.

FBI investigation probably giving some schools second thoughts about hiring potential up and comers who are currently assistants at big name schools. Much worse to hire a guy who gets indicted within a year than to stick with a mediocre coach for one more year.

I’m very curious to see what Xavier does. They have always promoted from within, but now they are a P6 team with great recent success, I expect them to go after a home run.

Chris Mack is still their coach as of this evening. It will be interesting to see if he will step into the Louisville cesspool and wait out the sanctions etc.

Random question: given some people seem to think the FBI investigation is going to have a huge impact next year, why would next year be a better year to go after a new coach? We’d be competing with basically no one now. Definite pick of the litter. Any coach theoretically holding out (from an open wake Jon this year) for more potential options next year isn’t coming to wake next year anyways, right?

Danny had a pretty long track record of seeing successful man-to-man defense. NBA, Kansas, Tulsa. It takes some time to figure out that it isn't working, and it isn't going to work well at Wake, and then to figure out and implement another defense or defenses and get them to work. 2018-2019 season will be the first season where there will be guys who at least should be able to play man-to-man defense against P6 teams. We will see how it works, and whether the potential on paper translates into results on the court.

What K did at Duke, revamping the D from man-to-man to zone in mid season is pretty remarkable in how well it worked. Most coaches have a preferred defense they use most of the time and reserve other types for specific situations.

Bullshit. Dino saw a defensive problem and solved it in an off-season....DINO. Manning is rolling into his 5th year at Wake, 7th as a head, and 16th as a coach and he still hasn't figured out over the course of 4 seasons at Wake what works and doesn't. It doesn't take 5 years to figure this stuff out. :rofl:

Last edited:
Bullshit. Dino saw a defensive problem and solved it in an off-season....DINO. Manning is rolling into his 5th year at Wake, 7th as a head, and 16th as a coach and he still hasn't figured out over the course of 4 seasons at Wake what works and doesn't. It doesn't take 5 years to figure this stuff out. :rofl:

And in all those years plus his playing career, hisbteams used man to man defense. 30+ years as a player and coach. His first thought isn't going to be "I need to change my defense." It's more likely to be " We need to teach man to man better." Or "We need to het some guys who play better man to man defense." As a coach Danny has mostly been in situations where his team had comparatively better talent. Working with less talent compared to the rest of the conference is new to him. Still doesn't excuse the beginning of the 2017-2018 season.

Man to man is the standard defense at most levels of BB. Not surprising he didn't want to move away from it. How many other ACC teams use something other than man to man as their defensive scheme?

And in all those years plus his playing career, hisbteams used man to man defense. 30+ years as a player and coach. His first thought isn't going to be "I need to change my defense." It's more likely to be " We need to teach man to man better." Or "We need to het some guys who play better man to man defense." As a coach Danny has mostly been in situations where his team had comparatively better talent. Working with less talent compared to the rest of the conference is new to him. Still doesn't excuse the beginning of the 2017-2018 season.

Man to man is the standard defense at most levels of BB. Not surprising he didn't want to move away from it. How many other ACC teams use something other than man to man as their defensive scheme?

The one with the most talent that just lost in overtime of the Elite 8.

A post of absurd excuses and made up BS to explain why Danny Manning can't do something that other coaches do. Which, rather than actually defending Manning, just highlights why he's not capable of doing the job. In short, Manning needs to learn on the job, but he won't, so let's give him more time to not learn on the job.

FIFY.

This presumes that there is only one way to play (and more importantly, teach) how to play man-to-man. That's just flat incorrect.

The problem is not the idea of playing man-to-man at all. The problem is that Wake Forest, for the entire time that Coach Manning has been here, has not had a man-to-man defense that, in scheme or execution, worked.

The Pittsburgh search has been great... They have been connected with every single potential candidate and there appears to be zero traction with anyone.

Have to think Kelsey for X if Mack bolts for Louisville, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of interest from other candidates. It'll be real annoying if Kelsey goes to X and does a great job.

there's absolutely no reason that xavier should be a better job than wake

L'ville has to be offering close to Pitino money. I'd be very surprised if X hasn't offered $3M or so.

If I was Mack's agent, I'd at least float a new idea for college coaches - an upfront signing bonus and get out of jail free clause (with at least one year of pay) if the school is put on more than one year of probation. He may not get it, but this is a situation where Mack has all the power.

The Pittsburgh search has been great... They have been connected with every single potential candidate and there appears to be zero traction with anyone.

Have to think Kelsey for X if Mack bolts for Louisville, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of interest from other candidates. It'll be real annoying if Kelsey goes to X and does a great job.

I saw an article recently that Pitt is really effed. They have a ton of transfers so almost no players and the players they do have coming in aren't great. On top of that, Stallings used almost all of their allotment of official visits that you are allowed over a two year period. So recruiting is going to be severely hamstrung.

It will be interesting to see what X does. They typically haven't paid their coaches a ton, I don't think.

Back