• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

If nothing else, it would seem to indicate that Capel wasn't a candidate to take over for K.

Last edited:
I feel like Capel was only good when he had Blake Griffin.

Of course, he's been back at Duke for a while now... Pitt is definitely not a bad job for him to take to get back to being a head coach.

Pitt is giving him a seven year deal!

Wonder if Duke recruiting will fall off some? Wasn't Capel the primary recruiter for most of K's recent killer classes?

Capel wouldn't be in my top 25 candidates for the Wake job if it was open. Probably not even top 50.

Wonder if Duke recruiting will fall off some? Wasn't Capel the primary recruiter for most of K's recent killer classes?

I don't think the job of recruiting to Duke is so hard that it can't be performed as well by someone else.

They all actually seem to be quite happy about it on the Pitt board. Rather odd if you ask me.

Does Grayson Allen go right to the duke coaching staff, or is it Greg Paulus’ turn?

I guess it can be justified if you believe the #1 thing the new coach at Pitt needs to be able to do is recruit. I mean, Capel has been the top recruiter for the team with the best recruits in recent years. I realize that is more because of Duke than Capel, but Pitt needs players ASAP.

Recruiting for K and Duke is quite different than Pitt. At Duke, you select not really recruit.

I don't think the job of recruiting to Duke is so hard that it can't be performed as well by someone else.
Capel was considered one of the best recruiters in the country before he went to back to Duke, and since he's been Dukes lead recruiter he has beaten Kenny Payne and Calipari's staff for the top recruits for the past 4 years.

For reference, Duke's remaining staff is: Nate James, Jon Scheyer, and Nolan Smith. Nate James ain't exactly setting the coaching world on fire.

The first paragraph of the Oklahoma News article from 2011, when Capel was fired
http://m.newsok.com/article/3548674
NORMAN — Jeff Capel signed four McDonald's All Americans in five seasons, nearly as many as former Oklahoma coaches Kelvin Sampson and Billy Tubbs signed in 26 seasons.

Yeah Capel is clearly a good recruiter, even outside of the Duke name. Whether he can actually coach and manage a program remains to be seen. Things fell apart on him at OU.

Have to think Kelsey for X if Mack bolts for Louisville, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of interest from other candidates. It'll be real annoying if Kelsey goes to X and does a great job.

I will be surprised if Travis Steele doesn't get the nod at X.

It continues the successful X tradition of promoting from in-house.

Back