• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Capel was considered one of the best recruiters in the country before he went to back to Duke, and since he's been Dukes lead recruiter he has beaten Kenny Payne and Calipari's staff for the top recruits for the past 4 years.

Two things can be true. Capel can be a great recruiter and the job of recruiting to Duke can be done by a lessor recruiter without much/any drop-off in results.

Two things can be true. Capel can be a great recruiter and the job of recruiting to Duke can be done by a lessor recruiter without much/any drop-off in results.

Congratulations. You agree with RJKarl.

Maybe. Duke's recruiting has clearly picked up/gotten better since Capel became the lead recruiter. It wouldnt be very logical to believe that the recruiting would stay the same after Capel leaves. That's not to say that Duke and K don't historically recruit at an elite level, but getting multiple top 5 recruits every season is unprecedented, K wasn't even doing that in his prime.

Not sure of the Pitt rationale for the Capel hire.

That program is at rock bottom. Start from the ground rebuild.

Chapel has coached at VCU and OK with mixed results.

Any coach is going to improve a program that went winless in conference play, but why not take a chance on a coach with a higher ceiling?

BTW, Capel is 43. Seems older.

From 2007-2012 Duke only recruited 6 top 25 recruits.
When Capel was hired, James was demoted to "Special assistant" Since Jeff Capels first class (2013) as Dukes lead recruiter (along with Chris Collins for 3 years) they have recruited 12 top 10 recruits in 5 recruiting classes, and a total of 21 top 25 recruits.

*Edited - didnt mean to say Nate James was top assistant, that was Wojo or Collins.

Last edited:
The idea that Kelsey was going to get the X job was always pretty funny. He doesn't really have the resume for it.

But, then again, we would supposedly be happy with Miller, Kelsey, or Odom. Sounds like tiers to me.

I don't think anybody will really be interested in Kelsey until the agreement he made to get out of UMass expires. Most AD's won't consider dealing with double buyout situation and whatever other language Kelsey agreed to when he didn't take the UMass job and went back to Winthrop. That agreement ends in another year. Also, the "I'll take the job, no wait, now that I have seen your campus I won't take the job" is not going to play well in a lot of places.

FWIW, everything I've read today still mentions Steele & Kelsey as the top 2 candidates for X. There is always the chance that Steele would go w/ Mack if he takes the Louisville job.

Cincinnati Enquirer also mentions John Brannen from Northern Kentucky, who I am not overly familiar with.

From 2007-2012 Duke only recruited 6 top 25 recruits.
When Capel was hired, James was demoted to "Special assistant" Since Jeff Capels first class (2013) as Dukes lead recruiter (along with Chris Collins for 3 years) they have recruited 12 top 10 recruits in 5 recruiting classes, and a total of 21 top 25 recruits.

*Edited - didnt mean to say Nate James was top assistant, that was Wojo or Collins.

This isn't as much about Capel as it is about K fully embracing one and done.

And after about 5 minutes of looking up John Brannen on the Internet, he's immediately been added to my list of potential Wake Forest coaching candidates.

Timing should be good after next year... He'll probably be a legit candidate for any open job. They made the NCAAs last year, inexplicably lost to a terrible team in the conference tourney this year, and look poised to improve again next year.

Downside is he is 44 and a Kentucky native.

The idea that Kelsey was going to get the X job was always pretty funny. He doesn't really have the resume for it.

But, then again, we would supposedly be happy with Miller, Kelsey, or Odom. Sounds like tiers to me.

Chris Mack's resume was weaker than Kelsey's when Xavier hired him. Mack had never been a head coach.

Pitt is giving him a seven year deal!

Wonder if Duke recruiting will fall off some? Wasn't Capel the primary recruiter for most of K's recent killer classes?

Pitt recognizing that recovering from the hole they are in won't be a short term process. Obviously Capel needed assurance up front that he would be given time to improve the program.

This isn't as much about Capel as it is about K fully embracing one and done.

It is all about Capel & Coach K being a great team together and also being great coaches who know what to do with talent! K is the all time best at what he does.

Chris Mack's resume was weaker than Kelsey's when Xavier hired him. Mack had never been a head coach.

A lot has changed in the 8 years since. X is now in the Big East & a legit top 20 program. I don’t know anything about Steele, but know they could get an experienced coach if they desired to do so.

Capel is a good pick for a program that desperately needs to recruit themselves out of a hole. Wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the top remaining prospects starts listing Pitt. He'll probably pick up a few transfers too.

It is all about Capel & Coach K being a great team together and also being great coaches who know what to do with talent! K is the all time best at what he does.

As usual you don't have a fricking clue. Until 2012. K did not like one and done. Starting then, he went into it full bore. That's when they starting getting more and more Top 15 players.

Not certain I trust Capel after the violations at Oklahoma. Even though he wasn't implicated, it occurred under his watch.

It has to be an almost pure money grab at this point for Mack. Xavier probably doesn't want to match Ville in terms of $$$. They probably can but would prefer to do what they do and promote from within. Its worked so far so why not. If Mack asked for a new contract and more $$$, I am not sure they would give it to him.

Back